Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 12:42 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how many forum members here attend Shabbos services that have instrumental music? If you attend a Reform synagogue, then you're probably used to having instrumental music (electric keyboard, piano, guitar, etc.) during services. If you attend an Orthodox synagogue, or a traditional Conservative synagogue, then you're not used to having instrumental music during services. I'm not sure what the Reconstructionists do.

I attend a Conservative synagogue where instrumental music has never been used during services. However, the subject recently has been brought up and is currently being discussed among congregants. I think that there are some Conservative congregations that have added instrumental music (acoustic only) to their services.

Many of the congregants in my Conservative synagogue (myself included) prefer services that reflect the restful spirit of Shabbos and consider instrumental music during services to be a distraction. I'm curious as to your own thoughts on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 03:45 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,051 times
I'm not a fan.

I've only attended one synagogue that had an organ, and it's use was a huge point of contention with the membership.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:09 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I too wouldn't be a fan of instrumental music playing in a synagogue on a religious Jewish holiday. But I would never be a member of Reform synagogue.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:25 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
I don't know what you mean by instrumental. As a proud member of a Reform synagogue, singing Hashkiveinu every Friday night is an incredibly spiritual experience and more often than not I don't get through it without getting emotional. That said, some temples overdo it in an attempt to attract younger members or keep them engaged. Totally depends on the shul.

Two versions. The second one is a lovely father and son duet with guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjDQZE-hgOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlhAzxMP_ZQ

Old 01-21-2022, 10:47 AM

Hannah, those videos you posted were truly lovely, and I also am deeply moved by the singing of Hashkiveinu in my Conservative synagogue. I especially love singing Lecha Dodi ("Come My Beloved") on Friday evenings -- especially when we all turn as one to face the back of the synagogue as we welcome the approach of the Sabbath Bride. Be proud of your Reform synagogue, you have every right to be.

By "instrumental music," I meant: Singing that is accompanied by musical instruments. Orthodox services don't have instrumental music, and the more traditional Conservative services don't, either. By "acoustic instruments," I meant: Musical instruments that don't rely on electricity. So, a guitar that is not an electric guitar would be an acoustic guitar. Some Conservative synagogues are electing to use acoustic musical instruments in their services, and this is what is currently under discussion in my own congregation. I hope that we keep things as they have been all along in my synagogue. Although I enjoy and appreciate music such as in the videos you posted, I prefer instrumental music when our congregation gathers for weddings and other social events (usually sponsored by our Familyhood Group).

For me, the human voice alone is the most beautiful instrument ever created. Maybe that's why I so very much enjoy the Maccabeats' A Cappella videos that I find on YouTube!

It was not my intention to suggest that there is anything wrong with the way that services in Reform Judaism are conducted. It is just that Conservative Judaism seems to be the right "fit" for me. I am asking for feedback from others who may feel similarly as I do. And I am also interested in hearing from those whose experiences in Shabbat services differ from mine.

Right now, there is so much antisemitism rearing its ugly head throughout the world, that Jews of all levels of observance need to come together in support of each other. Because, regardless of whatever flavor of Judaism any of us observe, we are all hated by the same angry people in this world who will find different reasons to hate each one of us.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 01-21-2022 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-21-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Hannah, those videos you posted were truly lovely, and I also am deeply moved by the singing of Hashkiveinu in my Conservative synagogue. I especially love singing Lecha Dodi ("Come My Beloved") on Friday evenings -- especially when we all turn as one to face the back of the synagogue as we welcome the approach of the Sabbath Bride. Be proud of your Reform synagogue, you have every right to be.

By "instrumental music," I meant: Singing that is accompanied by musical instruments. Orthodox services don't have instrumental music, and the more traditional Conservative services don't, either. By "acoustic instruments," I meant: Musical instruments that don't rely on electricity. So, a guitar that is not an electric guitar would be an acoustic guitar. Some Conservative synagogues are electing to use acoustic musical instruments in their services, and this is what is currently under discussion in my own congregation. I hope that we keep things as they have been all along in my synagogue. Although I enjoy and appreciate music such as in the videos you posted, I prefer instrumental music when our congregation gathers for weddings and other social events (usually sponsored by our Familyhood Group).

For me, the human voice alone is the most beautiful instrument ever created. Maybe that's why I so very much enjoy the Maccabeats' A Cappella videos that I find on YouTube!

It was not my intention to suggest that there is anything wrong with the way that services in Reform Judaism are conducted. It is just that Conservative Judaism seems to be the right "fit" for me. I am asking for feedback from others who may feel similarly as I do. And I am also interested in hearing from those whose experiences in Shabbat services differ from mine.

Right now, there is so much antisemitism rearing its ugly head throughout the world, that Jews of all levels of observance need to come together in support of each other. Because, regardless of whatever flavor of Judaism any of us observe, we are all hated by the same angry people in this world who will find different reasons to hate each one of us.
I knew that . I was responding to Chava's comment. I appreciate all the flavors of Judaism, although I know next to nothing about Reconstructionist, and I've attended and thoroughly enjoyed Conservative services (mostly b'nai mitzvah ). As I said, the amount of music can vary from shul to shul and I confess one service I went to recently was totally over the top, but I love the rabbi so...

There is an awesome video of the Maccabeats and Naturally 7 performing James Taylor's Shine a Little Light in honor of Martin Luther King Jr Day, that I post on FB every year. It's on YouTube. Highly recommend it

Old 01-21-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
There is an awesome video of the Maccabeats and Naturally 7 performing James Taylor's Shine a Little Light in honor of Martin Luther King Jr Day, that I post on FB every year. It's on YouTube. Highly recommend it
Oh... Post it here, please!

Old 01-21-2022, 11:35 AM

Enjoy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QvryC7tp6k

Old 01-21-2022, 11:51 AM

I did enjoy that, Hannah. Thank you for posting that video.

When good and decent people gather together in peace like this, the world becomes a brighter place.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I did enjoy that, Hannah. Thank you for posting that video.

When good and decent people gather together in peace like this, the world becomes a brighter place.
Yes, indeed.

ETA: Watch it full screen on YouTube. Can't really get the full effect on a tiny screen .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism