Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2022, 05:04 PM

3,194 posts, read 1,287,976 times

Advertisements

Isn't there hell and heaven in Judasim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 06:03 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,269,449 times
There is a concept of the soul, and an afterlife but not the clouds/harps or fire/brimstone thinking.

Imagine a school. It has the most incredible head teacher who can work with you personally, answering any question you have and giving you the most brilliant insights you can imagine.

Heaven is getting a scholarship and a front row seat
Hell is being kept out until you do the remedial classes elsewhere proving you are ready to study with a master, but knowing that you are missing out on the opportunity and it's your own fault.

Old 07-04-2022, 11:03 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,094,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
There is a concept of the soul, and an afterlife but not the clouds/harps or fire/brimstone thinking.

Imagine a school. It has the most incredible head teacher who can work with you personally, answering any question you have and giving you the most brilliant insights you can imagine.

Heaven is getting a scholarship and a front row seat
Hell is being kept out until you do the remedial classes elsewhere proving you are ready to study with a master, but knowing that you are missing out on the opportunity and it's your own fault.
So what’s the “after life” believe in Judaism?

I thought I’ve heard a Rabi stating that Jews go to Heaven after death. And those Jews who were sinners and did horrible injustice to others, are placed in some sorta cosmic sequestered state for a few days (15, I think?)where they are made feel guilty for their misdeeds, and after that, they are entered into heaven as well.

I may be wrong cuz I am pulling it from sheer memory, so apologies in advance; however, plz correct me.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:21 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,269,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So what’s the “after life” believe in Judaism?

I thought I’ve heard a Rabi stating that Jews go to Heaven after death. And those Jews who were sinners and did horrible injustice to others, are placed in some sorta cosmic sequestered state for a few days (15, I think?)where they are made feel guilty for their misdeeds, and after that, they are entered into heaven as well.

I may be wrong cuz I am pulling it from sheer memory, so apologies in advance; however, plz correct me.
The standard (Orthodox) understanding is that there are 3 kinds of people: the absolute good ones (very few) the absolute bad ones (very, very few) and the middle group (most everyone).

The good ones go directly to God's presence. The bad ones, never get into that presence. The middle ones need that time to realign their souls through that sort of re-education before they can be ready to be in God's presence. That time could be up to 11 months.

The way I understand it (and this is just my take on it) is that heaven is about a state of understanding and certainty -- getting complete answers to all of life's questions. "Hell" is a state of not knowing or not being sure. This is why "the pit" or "the abyss" which is a term used for death but not a good state after death is called "She'ol" which is from the same root as "question" whereas repentance, making your soul clean is called doing "t'shuva" (repentance) which is the same word in Hebrew as the word for "answer."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism