Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 09:13 AM

43,650 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

Currently grandchildren who have at least one Jewish grandparent but aren't necessarily Jewish according to the Halacha are allowed to immigrate to Israel. Should this be changed? This article is food for thought:
https://www.ynetnews.com/article/bjg8xfv5n
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2023, 08:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
...who have at least one Jewish grandparent...
This phrase has turned up in a few other contexts.

Old 07-22-2023, 06:47 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,174,802 times
I don't live in Israel so possibly I have a different view.

If claiming to be Jewish gets a person out of Russia or out of the Ukraine, I am very happy for them regardless of where they end up.

If they use Israel as a "way-station" on their way to the US or Canada or someplace else, I don't really see how Israel is harmed. Even if the people don't intend to live a Jewish life, being able to help them get out of harm's way, seems like a good enough reason to help.

If they have to be issued a passport, perhaps the passport issued for their initial flight to Israel could be good for only one year. That way, if they are only passing through, the passport will soon expire. And if they are not living in Israel, they won't qualify for a renewal passport.

Like most of life's problems and questions, there are no easy solutions that appeal to all.

Old 07-23-2023, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I don't live in Israel so possibly I have a different view.

If claiming to be Jewish gets a person out of Russia or out of the Ukraine, I am very happy for them regardless of where they end up.

If they use Israel as a "way-station" on their way to the US or Canada or someplace else, I don't really see how Israel is harmed. Even if the people don't intend to live a Jewish life, being able to help them get out of harm's way, seems like a good enough reason to help.

If they have to be issued a passport, perhaps the passport issued for their initial flight to Israel could be good for only one year. That way, if they are only passing through, the passport will soon expire. And if they are not living in Israel, they won't qualify for a renewal passport.

The other issue is that those with just a Jewish grandfather aren't Jewish according to the Halacha and therefore arenot contributing to the Jewishness of Israel.

Like most of life's problems and questions, there are no easy solutions that appeal to all.
The problem isn't only that they get an Israeli passport, new immigrants get many tax and financial benefits. These benefits shouldn't be given to those just using Israel as a "way station".

Of course those with just a Jewish grandfather aren't actually Jewish and aren't contributing to the Jewishness of Israel's population. I think the only reason that the law was written this way was due to Hilter's definition of a Jew being anyone with at least one Jewish grandparent.

Old 07-24-2023, 03:09 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Quote:
The problem isn't only that they get an Israeli passport, new immigrants get many tax and financial benefits. These benefits shouldn't be given to those just using Israel as a "way station".

Of course those with just a Jewish grandfather aren't actually Jewish and aren't contributing to the Jewishness of Israel's population. I think the only reason that the law was written this way was due to Hilter's definition of a Jew being anyone with at least one Jewish grandparent.

I understand the financial and cultural implications of an influx of non-Jews into Israel. This is a humanitarian problem and Israel cannot solve the world's refugee problems by itself.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:26 AM

47 posts, read 19,100 times
I believe provided they agree to keep a Jewish life when they are olim in Israel they should be allowed. Now there is a lot of discussion on what constitutes a Jewish life, but for me anyone who converts according to Reform, Conservative or Orthodox is fine

Old 07-27-2023, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaztheger View Post
I believe provided they agree to keep a Jewish life when they are olim in Israel they should be allowed. Now there is a lot of discussion on what constitutes a Jewish life, but for me anyone who converts according to Reform, Conservative or Orthodox is fine
Probably anyone who observes Shabbat in some acceptable way would qualify under your definition.

Old 07-27-2023, 09:24 AM

47 posts, read 19,100 times
Quote:
Probably anyone who observes Shabbat in some acceptable way would qualify under your definition.
Provided they've undergone a formal conversion with a registered Beth Din of any denomination then they're Jewish. Maybe not under halacha but they are part of the Jewish people.

Old 07-27-2023, 05:38 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I like this idea.

Quote:
I’m sure that’s the only reason the law was written that way. But those people should have access to Israel as a safe haven too (especially to the extent that they face danger because of their partially Jewish background), whether or not they identify with Judaism as a religion or culture.

Old 07-28-2023, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I like this idea.

I’m sure that’s the only reason the law was written that way. But those people should have access to Israel as a safe haven too (especially to the extent that they face danger because of their partially Jewish background), whether or not they identify with Judaism as a religion or culture.
And that is why there is a movement to change the law as Hitler's racist laws are no longer relevant for the most of the younger people living today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism