Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2023, 05:18 AM

43,821 posts, read 44,591,265 times

Advertisements

Wishing all Jews a Happy/Healthy Jewish New Year! Shana Tova!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRk4OOjyjcU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 08:58 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,105,079 times
How long ago did Abraham live according to Jewish historians?

Old 09-14-2023, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
How long ago did Abraham live according to Jewish historians?
And what does this have to do with the Jewish New Year?!

Old 09-14-2023, 05:23 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,276,735 times
https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...History.htm#q2

Old 09-15-2023, 07:42 PM

35,304 posts, read 17,201,653 times
Shana Tova 5784 or Happy New Year September 15, 2023!

I am trying to write a message without too much of an edge to it. A lot of the theme for this “greeting” is the sermon heard in synagogue tonight. On the positive side, my health and my family’s health continues to be good, though not without the challenges of entering our early to mid-60’s. I definitely don’t get enough exercise so perhaps that’s a good “New Year’s Resolution.”

On the negative side, communications with once-close friends have gone from actual gatherings (there still are some) to emails to text messages. Real communication is rare. When one picks up the phone, one almost expects to hear “what’s the purpose of this call” or “why did you call” or “not a good time, Jim.” Cold test messages or emails are not a replacement for socializing. Emails, when answered, get one-line responses that make clear that they are unwelcome. Other friendships, one of a duration of over 50 years, have fallen victim to political voting choices. People are, frankly, no longer there for each other. Did March 2020 make us all scared of each other? On that note, the Tennis Club and neighborhood swimming pool were poorly attended this past summer, despite rare rainfall (mostly on weekdays) and a general lack of excess heat.

I had hoped that the gradual end of the “pandemic” would restore some gregariousness. To be blunt, it hasn’t. For example there used to be two packed shifts of Rosh Hashonah services. We’re down to one that was, maybe, 75% full. The old committees have either not returned or the “meetings” turn into one person droning on and on about the merits of window displaces during the winter Holidays, or banking charges. Various group activities with clergy fall by the wayside since no one can find anything to discuss; a poor excuse.

On a happier note, the weather forecast is good for Taslich and one last pool weekend.

Old 09-16-2023, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Shana Tova 5784 or Happy New Year September 15, 2023!

On the negative side, communications with once-close friends have gone from actual gatherings (there still are some) to emails to text messages. Real communication is rare. When one picks up the phone, one almost expects to hear “what’s the purpose of this call” or “why did you call” or “not a good time, Jim.” Cold test messages or emails are not a replacement for socializing. Emails, when answered, get one-line responses that make clear that they are unwelcome. Other friendships, one of a duration of over 50 years, have fallen victim to political voting choices. People are, frankly, no longer there for each other. Did March 2020 make us all scared of each other? On that note, the Tennis Club and neighborhood swimming pool were poorly attended this past summer, despite rare rainfall (mostly on weekdays) and a general lack of excess heat.

Shana Tova! I actually have one friend that speak on the phone regularly once a week (the day varies due their work schedule) for a long phone conversation (avoiding speaking about politics) and another friend (that lives overseas) who I speak to a bit more irregularly but at least once within a 2 week period and also usually a long conversation. These phone conversations are definitely better than texting or emailing which are used to supplement these relationships.

So I wish you not only Shana Tova but a restoration of your close friendships!

Old 09-24-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Shana Tova! I actually have one friend that speak on the phone regularly once a week (the day varies due their work schedule) for a long phone conversation (avoiding speaking about politics) and another friend (that lives overseas) who I speak to a bit more irregularly but at least once within a 2 week period and also usually a long conversation. These phone conversations are definitely better than texting or emailing which are used to supplement these relationships.

So I wish you not only Shana Tova but a restoration of your close friendships!
Thanks. I did not see your post. I wish you an easy fast and G’mar Hativa Tova.

The hardest part of fasting for me is not having an glass of water on my nightstand.

Old 09-26-2023, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I did not see your post. I wish you an easy fast and G’mar Hativa Tova.

The hardest part of fasting for me is not having an glass of water on my nightstand.
I only saw this afternoon after the fast. So I thank you for your good wishes. I too have the same issue of not having a cup of water next to my bedside at this time.

Meanwhile, I wish you and everyone else here an early Happy Succot/Sukkot!

Old 09-26-2023, 05:49 AM

698 posts, read 318,520 times
Quote:
. . .

Don't forget the aging observation:

The German says, "I am thirsty! I believe I shall have a beer."

The Italian says, "I am thirsty! I believe I shall have a glass of wine."

The Jew says, "I am thirsty! I believe I have diabetes."

Old 09-26-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I only saw this afternoon after the fast. So I thank you for your good wishes. I too have the same issue of not having a cup of water next to my bedside at this time.

Meanwhile, I wish you and everyone else here an early Happy Succot/Sukkot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Don't forget the aging observation:

The German says, "I am thirsty! I believe I shall have a beer."

The Italian says, "I am thirsty! I believe I shall have a glass of wine."

The Jew says, "I am thirsty! I believe I have diabetes."
You are both welcome. I actually lasted until after the end of the Neilah and Havdallah services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism