Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 05:17 PM

605 posts, read 1,107,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Moses (http://personalpages.tds.net/%7Etheseeker/Moses.htm - broken link) then said to God, `Look, if I go to the Israelites and say to them, “The god of your ancestors has sent me to you,” and they say to me, “What is his name?” what am I to tell them?
God said to Moses, `I am who I am’. Exodus 3:13-14

As we have learned, Enki (`Lord of the Earth’) was called Ea in Akkadian (East Semitic) – that is to say in the Babylonian tradition. Scholars have determined that Ea was vocalized as ‘Eya’. So, when Moses stood before the burning bush and asked the name of the god of the mountain, did “God” really reply `I am who I am’ (Heb. Eyah asher eyah)? This puzzling phrase has long perplexed many theologians here is our simple explanation.

The voice of God simply replied `Eyah asher Eyah’ - `I am (the one) who is called Eyah’ – the name of Ea in its West Semitic (Hebrew) form.

Some Scholars have simply failed to recognize (most often those with strong theological ties) that this is another of those characteristic puns in which the Old Testament abounds. `I am (Eyah) he who is called (asher) Ea (Eyah)’ is a classic biblical play on words.

It also explains God’s apparently nonsensical instruction:
`This is what you are to say to the Israelites, I am has sent me to you”.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that the above statement makes no sense. The words properly translated are `Eyah has sent me to you’.

Read the rest of the link
HERE

NOTE: The information in this link will NOT be easily understood without at least a cursive knowledge of the Old Testament and some history of the older ancient Middle and Far East. Some things might sound familiar and while I personally do not exactly agree wtih all the conclusions written, from what I know and have studied, they are pretty much on target with them.

It's a long read, but if you want to really get a grasp on where it all started in regards to religion/the gods (this includes Israel's god) in the ancient Middle East long BEFORE ancient Israel was even a thought. You will also come to realize that their religion did NOT start in some vacuum or that it was even a revealed religion in the mystical sense of the word.

Happy reading for those who care to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 09:22 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post

Read the rest of the link
HERE

NOTE: The information in this link will NOT be easily understood without at least a cursive knowledge of the Old Testament and some history of the older ancient Middle and Far East. Some things might sound familiar and while I personally do not exactly agree wtih all the conclusions written, from what I know and have studied, they are pretty much on target with them.

It's a long read, but if you want to really get a grasp on where it all started in regards to religion/the gods (this includes Israel's god) in the ancient Middle East long BEFORE ancient Israel was even a thought. You will also come to realize that their religion did NOT start in some vacuum or that it was even a revealed religion in the mystical sense of the word.

Happy reading for those who care to.
Actually I am is incorrect. You must of gotten this from greek translation
The Torah says:
12. And He said, "For I will be with you, and this is the sign for you that it was I Who sent you. When you take the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain." 13. And Moses said to God, "Behold I come to the children of Israel, and I say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?"
14. God said to Moses, "Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)," and He said, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'Ehyeh (I will be) has sent me to you.'"
15. And God said further to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'The Lord God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation.

Rashi states: 14. “Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)”. “I will be” with them in this predicament “what I will be” with them in their subjugation by other kingdoms. He [Moses] said before Him, “O Lord of the universe! Why should I mention to them another trouble? They have enough [problems] with this one.” He said to him, “You have spoken well. So shall you say, etc.” -[from Ber. 9b] (Not that Moses, God forbid, outsmarted God, but he did not understand what God meant, because originally, when God said, “I will be what I will be,” He told this to Moses alone, and He did not mean that he should tell it to Israel. That is the meaning of “You have spoken well,” for that was My original intention, that you should not tell such things to the children of Israel, only “So shall you say to the children of Israel,” ‘Ehyeh [I will be] has sent me.’” From tractate Berachoth this appears to be the correct interpretation. Give this matter your deliberation.) [Annotation to Rashi] [There appears to be no indication of this interpretation in tractate Berachoth.]

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/rashi/...ish/Shemot.htm

Yahweh or JEHOVAH is not the name of the jewish God. This is mistranslation in the greek. Gods name is YHWH in hebrew.

Last edited by shibainu; 01-11-2009 at 10:02 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 10:00 AM

1380 BCE moses at mt sinai
The Egyptian Book of the Dead
1240 BC

Old 01-12-2009, 10:06 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
nope. doesn't work.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
nope. doesn't work.
what????

Old 01-12-2009, 01:47 PM

605 posts, read 1,107,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
nope. doesn't work.
What doesn't work, sir?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism