Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:48 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

look3467 wrote:
Quote:
If you have a regular job, then off on Sundays, well, you can do whatever tickles your fancy.
What makes me even more pathetic is that I'm retired and the only things I need to get done are some projects around the house and in the back yard. I sometimes use the excuse that I'm just getting old but the truth is I'm just flat lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 04:10 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
The single malt scotch I had Sat night forced me to rest this fine Sun morning.
Another good reason.
But don't forget to thank God that you are still alive and able to rest.

You could (God forbid)have gotten into an accident, and resting in a hospital instead.

Blessings, AJ

Old 11-08-2009, 04:16 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Another good reason.
But don't forget to thank God that you are still alive and able to rest.

You could (God forbid)have gotten into an accident, and resting in a hospital instead.

Blessings, AJ
Last I checked, the lord does not give a damm. Just look at the many 10s of 1000s killed in car accidents every year in the US alone. Do you blame your lord for that? As an athesit, I care about me and not rely on an imaginary lord. I drank moderately Sat night and am alive simply because of that.

Last edited by calmdude; 11-08-2009 at 04:30 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Last I checked, the lord does not give a damm. Just look at the many 10s of 1000s killed in car accidents every year in the US alone. Do you blame your lord for that? As an athesit, I care about me and not rely or a lord - and therefore I drink moderately.
Well, I can understand why you would think that.

Regardless, you still have your life given you to make of it what you want.

As for accidents, the bible gives us a clue to all this happenings, and here is the verse: Ecc 9:11 I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

So, whether you believe in God or not, time and chance happens.

If it's your time, and the chance that you might be in an accident, well, it matters not whether you are a believer or not.

But, let me add, that if you were a believer, time and chance may be for another time if God sees fit to move it in your behalf.

These are called miracles.

Those on the airplane flight that landed on the Hudson were sparred from death, due to the fact that God curtailed the possibility to a safe mode because of some folk, whose time and chance was not yet.

All benefited from that because no lives were lost.

It was not by any coincidence that these things happen, but the normal day to day function of nature that these things can be avoided only in a miracle.

So, rest good my friend, and I mean that!

Blessings, AJ

Old 11-08-2009, 04:45 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Well, I can understand why you would think that.

Regardless, you still have your life given you to make of it what you want.

As for accidents, the bible gives us a clue to all this happenings, and here is the verse: Ecc 9:11 I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

So, whether you believe in God or not, time and chance happens.

If it's your time, and the chance that you might be in an accident, well, it matters not whether you are a believer or not.

But, let me add, that if you were a believer, time and chance may be for another time if God sees fit to move it in your behalf.

These are called miracles.

Those on the airplane flight that landed on the Hudson were sparred from death, due to the fact that God curtailed the possibility to a safe mode because of some folk, whose time and chance was not yet.

All benefited from that because no lives were lost.

It was not by any coincidence that these things happen, but the normal day to day function of nature that these things can be avoided only in a miracle.

So, rest good my friend, and I mean that!

Blessings, AJ
You guys tend to cherry-pick the saving of a life as a miracle and ignore the killings that happen all the time; you lose all credibility.
Anyway, thanks for the good wishes - hope you have a restful day too (I mean that).

Old 11-08-2009, 04:58 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,169 times
Cool Howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Not according to the bible.

In the bible, God was quite clear that humans were to rest on the 7th day of the week. That was, and still is, the Sabbath. In multiple places, multiple times, the bible says God commands to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.

Now, it looks as though some people have found all sort of excuses for why they shouldn't do what their God directly and explicitly told them to do. They have substituted their judgment for Gods judgment, and decided that maybe a different day would be better than the 7th day, (or that the day doesn't matter at all!)

There are very few commands from God that are as strongly and as clearly sent as the command to rest on the 7th day and to keep it holy. Yet modern day Christians abandon this just because Constantine decided it was more convenient to appease the pagans and to keep the 1st day holy instead.
Hi, Boxcar!
New guy here!!
Being new, I'm not familiar with your personal beliefs. Are you a follower of the Bible or are you not? I can't really tell by this post.
Are you aware that Jesus was at the walls of Jericho marching with the priests and carrying the Ark of the Covenent on the Sabbath?
Since Christ is the embodiment of the Law, the priests weren't bound by the letter of the law and could therefore labor on the Sabbath.
They were walking WITH the Law.
Are you aware of Paul's teaching that if one man holds this day above another while you revere another, to not put a stumbling block in his path?

Old 11-08-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
You guys tend to cherry-pick the saving of a life as a miracle and ignore the killings that happen all the time; you lose all credibility.
Anyway, thanks for the good wishes - hope you have a restful day too (I mean that).
If cherry picking is meant towards good, then by all means, I will cherry pick.

You see, my wishing good will is a good thing, and way above any negativity.

Could you just imagine if everyone wished good will?

That would be a religion in it's self, wouldn't you agree?

Credibility is not my loss only what you determine it to be.

A story of an old wise man approached by two young boys who wanted to discredit the old mans wisdom.

With hands behind the boys back was clutched a live bird.
When both boys approached the old man the question was asked, "Old man do I have behind my back in my hands a live bird or a dead bird"?

The boys thoughts were, "if the old man says dead, then we'll show him the live bird, if He says, live, then I will squeeze the life out of the bird and present it dead, that way we will discredit him as an old wise man.

The old man wisdom answered the boys, "it is as you wish!"

So my friend, it is as you wish, as I retain my wisdom in what I believe.

Blessings, AJ

Old 11-21-2009, 09:40 PM

19 posts, read 26,643 times
Default Sabbath

Sabbath days:

There is no intention in this letter to offend anyone, if you disagree, well that’s the choice you and I were born with and legally intended to feel and express.

Remember the Sabbath day was instituted by Yahweh for the Hebrew folks because the law imposed was according to WORKS. Yahweh worked 6 days and blessed the 7 day to be in conjunction with the labor of the law in the Old Testament.

If you will read the laws contained in the Old Testament you will find that it commands the Hebrew folks to do everything and I mean everything per set rules, these commandments were written on tables of stone. The New Testament has commandments, of course but (“they are written in the minds and hearts of his people”.

In the New Testament it says that the First Covenant was ORDAINED by Angles in the hand of a mediator (Moses). This is to relate to carnality.

The New Covenant is ordained by Yahweh by the hand of a mediator (Yahshua) which is spiritual and gives life. The scripture said “let no man therefore judge you in meat, or of new moons or of Sabbath days which are a shadow of things to come”. Being a shadow, it was not the original or the reality of the matter, just like our own shadow is not flesh and bone, but a reflection of the real thing.

The Sabbath was the rest from working six days, there was also a law that said you could only travel a certain distance during that day (Sabbath day’s journey).

Now remember that Yahshua was born and lived under the Old Law and was to conform to those laws, but didn’t he often break those laws according to the Pharisees by healing on the Sabbath, eating with sinners and publicans and allowing the followers to eat corn without washing their hands etc. He said “is it unlawful to do good on the Sabbath”.

The New Covenant started in Acts on the day of Pentecost, the first time in creation for the spirit to enter into a human by the confirmation of the spirit speaking for itself. Yes men of old had the spirit working in them but they were not in the body of Yahshua (the bride) he hadn’t been born in the flesh as of yet! And, no I am not a so-called Pentecost. There never was a church called Pentecost, Baptist or whatever! Yahshua is the name of the body and the body is the church, but some, according to Revelations “will deny that holy name by which we are called” by nick-naming that holy one.

Yahshua knew what the Sabbath was all about by saying “the son of man was not made for the Sabbath, but the Sabbath for the son of man”.

The Old Law was a shadow (school master) of things to come which was the law of faith and when he was taking his last breath he said “it is finished” meaning the Old Law which never gave life or removed sins. All that were under the Old Law that sinned and unbelievers of today will stand before the White Throne Judgment
Then it was the bringing in of a new and better covenant that was ordained not only for the Jews but also Gentiles, Greek, Bond or free, all except unbelievers!

There is a DAY even now that the scripture speaks of “today if you hear his voice, harden not your hearts and in the days of provocation”. Yes, when the spirit starts dealing with your heart, that is “today” for you.

How do you enter into the rest that Israel failed to do?

First, you must be a believer of the word of faith as the spirit opens it up through the preacher that has been sent. I am not talking about [receiving the lord as your personal savior] or [just accept him], that will get you absolutely no where!

You see the REST of today is being in the body of Yahshua (rest from dead works), “where by one spirit are we all baptized into one body”, “for some entered not in because of unbelief”. Those that have searched the scriptures and labored to enter into that rest are being led by the spirit into all truth, them and only them. The body of Yahshua is the “church” that will be lifted up to meet him in the sky.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 11-22-2009, 09:14 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Okay, another sabbath day is upon us but this time I'm going to get some work done because it's getting colder as winter approaches and I need to get my outside work completed while the weather is still tolerable. I have to take another load of my torn down shed to the landfill. Thankfully, no one has tried to stone me to death when I've made these Sunday trips in the past.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Thankfully, no one has tried to stone me to death when I've made these Sunday trips in the past.
First, you said the best thing yet, "Thankfully".
As for stoning, well, they only do that in Iran.

So, hope you enjoyed the day!

Blessings, AJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism