Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,882,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Jews don't tend to have 5 children per family.. so no so many jews...
How true! In Canada, there's the Federal Baby Bonus program, which until 1992 allocated a monthly stipend, about @280 per child I think (anyone? anyone?) paid for each and every child you welped out. Of course this was created by the Feds many years ago to assuage the Quebec French-Canadian Catholics, who then had a large family (8 or 10 was not uncommon), and then, of course, a large percentage of that money found it's way back into the collection plate.

CBC News - Quebec birth rate rose with baby bonus: expert

(Ah yes; I remember now; it was called The Family Allowance Program. How quaint for a government-mandated specific [Catholic] faith-based initiatives program!)

I can hear the stimulating bedroom chatter now: "But honey... I know you have a headache right now, again, but think of that new 52" HDTV, or the new Renault we could buy! And, the Church DOES need a new front door after that mob scene last month..."

A brief history:

H-Net Reviews

They couldn't actually limit it to Catholics, but it sorta kinda effectively achieved that result because of the penchant for illiterate rural Quebecois Catholic families to go forth and multiply. And multiply. And multiply. Mon deux!

There is a large Jewish population in Montreal, but I'd love to hear if they feel like they are in a walled fortress, psychologically speaking.

Last edited by rifleman; 12-03-2009 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: typozers

Old 12-03-2009, 08:33 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,882,084 times
Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You should've opened up a history book before making a statement like that. I cannot imagine what you were trying to prove.
Fred, your "catch" is not altogether unprecedented with "some" particular posters....

I for one would encourage a Jewish issues sub-forum. How do I vote "for" again?

Old 12-03-2009, 02:11 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,501,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
What plans do you all have for chanukah?
Mostly just lighting the menorah. (Some latkes would be nice; we'll see!)

By the way, for people who may not know much about Chanukah...

It is not a religious occasion. I get offended when I hear people say that Chanukah is some sort of "Jewish version of Christmas." In truth, if you have to compare the occasion to some other event on the calendar, the best possible one to choose would be the 4th of July.

Indeed, Chanukah memorializes the Maccabean Revolt, which restored political independence to Judea. (It was later given religious overtones through the story of the Temple lamp for which there was only enough oil for one lighting, but miraculously burned for eight nights).

Old 12-03-2009, 03:18 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,608,979 times
Jewish here, but not by birth, I converted about 9yrs ago.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:36 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,027,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Jewish here, but not by birth, I converted about 9yrs ago.

me too, but its only been a short while I have been Jewish!

Old 12-03-2009, 03:41 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,027,523 times
Quote:
Mostly just lighting the menorah. (Some latkes would be nice; we'll see!)

By the way, for people who may not know much about Chanukah...

It is not a religious occasion. I get offended when I hear people say that Chanukah is some sort of "Jewish version of Christmas." In truth, if you have to compare the occasion to some other event on the calendar, the best possible one to choose would be the 4th of July.

Indeed, Chanukah memorializes the Maccabean Revolt, which restored political independence to Judea. (It was later given religious overtones through the story of the Temple lamp for which there was only enough oil for one lighting, but miraculously burned for eight nights).
We will be doing latkes with our community the 13th and I'll cook some with my kids. We are low key but the kids do get a small gift each night along with chocolate coins which they love. It is hard sometimes for them because Christmas is everywhere. We are still stepping our way through traditions in our house and learning but I think learning never stops.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:26 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,523,374 times
Jews don't have a lot doctrin issues the way Christians do, there are not many of us and we tend to not hang our laundry out in public (except in Israel).

Old 12-04-2009, 06:19 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,501,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Jews don't have a lot doctrin issues the way Christians do, there are not many of us and we tend to not hang our laundry out in public (except in Israel).
You should visit the Hasidic enclaves here in Brooklyn. Oy vey iz mir!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:54 AM

21,937 posts, read 19,063,135 times
Quote:
You should visit the Hasidic enclaves here in Brooklyn. Oy vey iz mir!
i would loooooooooooove to get there, some day i will!
went to a hasidic gathering recently, what a great party...when i left it was still going full swing, the singing, the dancing, the live band

i've been told that simchat torah in the Hasiddic areas of NY is just wild, it is on my list of must-do trips.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:45 PM

526 posts, read 999,334 times
I'm Jewish too and would like to see a Jewish forum. I have to say that the idea of Jewish people from Virginia and Kentucky is more mysterious to me than the Hasidim!! I'm trying to imaging Yiddish with a southern drawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism