Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 03:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times

Advertisements

calculus instead of hip hop. living below your means and investing instead of doing a refi every 6 months, maxing out your deduction for deferred comp instead of maxing out your credit cards, prayer and study instead of club med, just guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 05:19 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
One of the unfortunate stereotypes is that Jews are rich and that they are involved in every manner of conspiracy to maintain power over many industries and even governments. The idiots in the hate groups like the KKK have promoted this point of view for as long as they've been around. My feeling is that the Jewish people have a strong work ethic and have had the need to be self reliant and help each other as Jazzymom pointed out. That's in stark contrast to the losers in the white supremacy movement who like to blame others for their own failure to succeed in life.
great post Montanaguy! I teach my kids to learn, work hard, give back to the community, help the world be a better place and respect those around them. And in this economy we have had our struggles like a lot of other people.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:54 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
I can't figure out how come Jewish people are usually rich... I work for window cleaning company and we provide service to about 2000 homes in the richest suburbs of Chicago, about 95% of our customers are Jewish
The moment you posted that, you should've been banned from C-D. Jews are not "usually" rich. If a wealthy suburb of Chicago happens to be mostly Jewish, you cannot make ridiculous generalizations about Jews in general.

I'm not at all interested to learn how you view the rest of the world, if this one tiny example is any kind of indication.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:15 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
Being a former business owner did have many dealings with the Jewish business owner.

Some were small operators and a couple were millionaires.

They all got their money by working long hrs to start with and never looked at the time clock like some of their employees.

If you had a retail store and did not have enough income during the normal day...you stayed open with longer hours and 7 days a week.

NO such thing as a 8 hr day.

There is a little Jewish blood on both sides of my parents which explains why my dad owned his own business for many yrs and put in many hrs after closing time.

I learned to do the same and did well in my 36 yrs of self employment.

Steve

Old 12-04-2009, 04:27 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The moment you posted that, you should've been banned from C-D. Jews are not "usually" rich. If a wealthy suburb of Chicago happens to be mostly Jewish, you cannot make ridiculous generalizations about Jews in general.

I'm not at all interested to learn how you view the rest of the world, if this one tiny example is any kind of indication.
I don't think my response to him was provocative but in retrospect perhaps "not all Jews are rich, but they are richer than average" may imply things I don't feel.

What I meant is that Jewish people are overrepresented among the rich and that their per-capita wealth is above average, but I didn't mean "being rich" is all that common among them. The way I wrote it I'm worried that was unclear. Although I think I was clear that this isn't some unique Jewish quality. Other "economically successful minorities" exist in the West and elsewhere. The Parsis, Southeast Asian Chinese, etc.

Considering other things said on this thread I feel I need to say that. I don't want to be seen as agreeing with certain things I don't. I don't think that will happen, but might as well cover my bases.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:14 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,543 times
Yes, our parents and grandparents learned to do without to pay for an education. And I learned to do without as an adult to help my nephews and niece. So while our friends had cars and were unfocused, we had fewer toys, learned the value of an education and hard work. When one goes to public school and then every day after that Hebrew school, Friday night services, Saturday services and then Sunday school, TV and other wastes of time take a back seat. It comes simply from hard work, long hours and a good work ethic. I can remember we always had a library and constantly used the public library. You find many immigrant communities find that this is the way. Until the 1960's it was very common for Jews to be excluded from many businesses, so they started their own and the community went to them rather than support those businesses that discriminated. Many of these businesses became powerhouses, others successful, many failed. Visit parts of NY and you will see poor Jews, in some countries like Cuba, Jews are among the poorest people.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:40 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,096 times
My husband is part Jewish, and, as stereotypical as it may be...then is certain DRIVE that he and his Jewish part of the family have, that seems to be innate. His drive to succeed is incredibly strong; as is his demand of perfection in his work and attention to detail. His mother (the Jewish one) is the same exact way. His family has owned an incredibly successful retail business that they've worked at ABOVE and BEYOND the effort most people put into their work.

Plus, to be honest, he (and his family) are just very very very intelligent. Just being honest.

You could attribute this to him being part Jewish or not, whatever. They're very disconnected from being Jewish--by no means religious--and the amount of "Jewish ancestry" they are have is rather fuzzy.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
My husband is part Jewish, and, as stereotypical as it may be...then is certain DRIVE that he and his Jewish part of the family have, that seems to be innate. His drive to succeed is incredibly strong; as is his demand of perfection in his work and attention to detail. His mother (the Jewish one) is the same exact way. His family has owned an incredibly successful retail business that they've worked at ABOVE and BEYOND the effort most people put into their work.

Plus, to be honest, he (and his family) are just very very very intelligent. Just being honest.

You could attribute this to him being part Jewish or not, whatever. They're very disconnected from being Jewish--by no means religious--and the amount of "Jewish ancestry" they are have is rather fuzzy.

If his mother is Jewish he is Jewish, not part Jewish. Judaism is passed through the mother.

His drive doesn't come from being Jewish. Anyone religious/non religious can have the drive to succeed. Education and a good work ethic comes from many cultures. In those cultures though I think people tend to look for mates who share the same backgrounds, and success is very important.

I grew up with no religion and am now Jewish but I grew up in an educated family and I looked for a life mate with the same sort of background I came from. My husband is not religious but he is intelligent and has a solid work ethic. He also goes beyond the call of duty with his work to my chagrin. Which means he is gone a lot from home because of work....lol

I have always raised my children to be educated, and have stressed education. I want them to be successful and to find life mates who share those ideals of education, hardwork and religion.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:04 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
If his mother is Jewish he is Jewish, not part Jewish. Judaism is passed through the mother.

His drive doesn't come from being Jewish. Anyone religious/non religious can have the drive to succeed. Education and a good work ethic comes from many cultures. In those cultures though I think people tend to look for mates who share the same backgrounds, and success is very important.

I grew up with no religion and am now Jewish but I grew up in an educated family and I looked for a life mate with the same sort of background I came from. My husband is not religious but he is intelligent and has a solid work ethic. He also goes beyond the call of duty with his work to my chagrin. Which means he is gone a lot from home because of work....lol

I have always raised my children to be educated, and have stressed education. I want them to be successful and to find life mates who share those ideals of education, hardwork and religion.
I totally agree with you. I just thought it's interesting because he's always joked about his "Jewish neuroticism" keeping him from slacking off on things.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I totally agree with you. I just thought it's interesting because he's always joked about his "Jewish neuroticism" keeping him from slacking off on things.

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism