Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:08 AM

179 posts, read 295,086 times

Advertisements

I alway's wondered this as jesus was jewish do people who say this imply that jesus himself did not belive in god?! I feel that it's absurd but it is a "common" statement made by people (where I live at least). what's your take on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 12:17 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
It is true that some "Jews" identify as such for ethnic/cultural reasons rather than religious ones. So a comparatively high percentage of those identifying even with "Judaism" are atheists, although this is maybe exaggerated. Pew Research, again it is not a religious group "Pew" is the surname of their founder, indicates about 10% of Jews are atheists. They list 1% of Catholics as atheists.

Comparative Religions - U.S. Religious Landscape Study - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

In general terms though I'd think if people equate Judaism or Jews to atheism it's because they want them to be atheist. In the case of atheists it makes them an ally and in case of Christians it's a slam on a non-Christian faith. Although for much of history many Catholics deemed Judaism "materialistic", this is a flaw I find in Chesterton, because it is most concerned with this world.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:00 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
I alway's wondered this as jesus was jewish do people who say this imply that jesus himself did not belive in god?! I feel that it's absurd but it is a "common" statement made by people (where I live at least). what's your take on this?
Jesus was Jewish and he worshiped God. Are you saying people say he didnt believe in God because he was Jewish? What you are asking is not clear.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:03 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
People always say that Jews don't believe in God? I'm Jewish, I live in a city with eight million other human beings, and I've never heard anyone say that in my life. So my question to the OP, who doesn't identify where he or she lives, is this: where exactly do you live, that you hear a question like that? (Do you also hear people "always" saying that Jews have horns, or do the people in your hometown acknowledge the fact that we're human beings too?)

Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Why do people alway's say "Jews don't belive in god"?

In large part, out of sheer ignorance!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
People always say that Jews don't believe in God? I'm Jewish, I live in a city with eight million other human beings, and I've never heard anyone say that in my life.
I hadn't really heard it either, but I was thinking I had heard the idea that Jewish people are often irreligious/irreverent and that many famous Jews are or were atheists. (Woody Allen, Isaac Asimov, Richard Feynman, Sigmund Freud, Michael Newdow, Carl Reiner, and Steven Weinberg) Also I don't know his life experience. Maybe where he's at they do say that.

Now what I have heard is that Jews don't believe in the afterlife. However on another site an agnostic Jewish man from Argentina, whose wife was more religiously active, said this is not really correct. I think he stated it is more that the afterlife is not a focus or function of Judaism and that they don't believe in Hell or Heaven in the Christian sense. Is that correct? Because the idea Judaism has no afterlife does seem to be a common one I hear even on mainstream TV programs.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:22 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
the idea Judaism has no afterlife does seem to be a common one I hear even on mainstream TV programs.

I don't know that I would use "mainstream TV programs" as a source for accurate information.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I don't know that I would use "mainstream TV programs" as a source for accurate information.
Good point Still I think those of us in rural parts of the Plains or Northern Rockies may often not have little experience with actual Jewish people. So I don't know if it's too unusual for our impressions of Jews, maybe mine too, to be affected by media images.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:37 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,129 times
I've never heard this either.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:42 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Why do people always say "Jews don't believe in god"?

I think that often its said within Christianity because we don't believe Jesus is God so to them we don't believe in God. That's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism