Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Jews a nation of blood,of faith or of a culture...
A nation of blood 6 17.14%
A nation of faith 5 14.29%
A nation of a culture 0 0%
A nation of blood & faith 8 22.86%
A nation of faith & culture... 16 45.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:07 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,771 times

Advertisements

No offence to anyone,I just try to learn more & certainly personal stories help ...

May be there is a difference in the strength of faith among those who convert out of choice & those who do that, so as to marry a Jew,as in the series "Sex & the city"...

Anyway,no one can...police the mind & the soul of anyone...

I am concerned about the low numbers of Judaism worldwide...That nation is massacred for 2K years & is a donor nation to other ethnicities...It deserves to reach a mass of 30-40m & benefit humanity even more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 10:56 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
No offence to anyone,I just try to learn more & certainly personal stories help ...

May be there is a difference in the strength of faith among those who convert out of choice & those who do that, so as to marry a Jew,as in the series "Sex & the city"...

Anyway,no one can...police the mind & the soul of anyone...

I am concerned about the low numbers of Judaism worldwide...That nation is massacred for 2K years & is a donor nation to other ethnicities...It deserves to reach a mass of 30-40m & benefit humanity even more...
Sex and the city is a tv show..... Some people convert before marriage, because they want to have a Jewish home. If you are a women who is not Jewish your children will not be Jewish. Some women convert because they want their children to be Jewish and they want to have a Jewish home. Many find their path to Judaism when they are single and undergo the process of conversion. I would hesitate to say that there are differences in strength of faith. Any conversion to Judaism is very different then just deciding to be a Christian or Muslim. It really does take a committment on the converts part. There is also no compulsion of religion. Most Rabbis that I know will not take a prospective convert if they suspect that they are coming to Judaism without a sincere choice to become Jewish or have been pressured.

As to the numbers of Judaism worldwide those of us who come to Judaism bring a wealth to the religion, we raise Jewish children, we are active in our communities. Converts are just as Jewish as born Jews and important to the growth of Judaism.

You are right "no one can police the mind and soul of anyone" nor should they. What and how someone believes is for them and not for others to judge. There are many differences in Judaism and Jews are not all the same nor should we be.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:42 AM

I have realised that indeed there is not such thing as.."the Jews say/believe/think " this or that ...

There is fragmentation,for the better or for the worse...

Old 01-27-2010, 10:47 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,553 times
Hey, man, what's the score? No way; it's still the same. Greed for Palestine, let alone Israel, eh?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:25 PM

I don't understand your comment...

Old 02-01-2010, 04:12 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Its a place where any person that is Jewish can go and almost instantaneously become a citizen and call it home. Its a place where most feel safe and a sense of belonging. So yes to all of it, some of it or at least one of it (and not all Jews are Zionists - look up haredi).

Old 02-01-2010, 04:37 PM

Zionism has a neutral / positive original meaning & a defamatory sense when used by antisemites...

On the other hand,if "Zionism " is to be agressive,energetic,active in politics to fight antisem & help Israel,then we should all be that kind of..."Zionists "...

Old 02-01-2010, 05:41 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,696 times
Why is Israel any of my concern, beyond the fact that they are getting money stolen from me that don't want them to have.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:21 AM

The Jews in USA ,due to their high incomes pay a disproportionately big amount of taxes,if they are 2% of the pop,they may pay 4% of taxes, so it is only "fair "that some of those tax money is diverted to Israel...

Old 02-02-2010, 07:10 AM

31 posts, read 363,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
The Jews in USA ,due to their high incomes pay a disproportionately big amount of taxes,if they are 2% of the pop,they may pay 4% of taxes, so it is only "fair "that some of those tax money is diverted to Israel...
You are ****ing kidding me right ??
This is your justification ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism