Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:39 AM

584 posts, read 597,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Steve, is it possible that on the broadcast they were saying that soy sauce is non-kosher for Passover, specifically?
Almost certainly. Soy sauce would be classified as kitnyot and therefore avoided by Ashkenazi Jews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 09:45 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
But turkeys aren't mammals so don't produce milk. So there is no "Mother's milk" in which to be cooked.
Turkey, chicken and other birds are classified as meat even though they don't produce milk. I believe that the reason was in ancient times sometimes it was hard to distinguish for example chicken breast from a veal (baby cow) breast meat which can't be had with dairy foods. So to make sure that there was no confusion birds were included in the same category as mammals.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:56 PM

As the joke goes ...
Quote:
And then HaShem spoke to Moses saying:
Moshe! Instruct the people of Israel saying: "You shall not boil a kid in its mother's milk!"
And Moses replied:
Got it! You don't want us to mix meat and dairy products. Right?
Moshe!! Again - instruct the people of Israel saying: "You shall not boil a kid in its mother's milk!"
And Moses replied:
No problem. After eating something like a burger you want us to wait at least six hours before eating ice cream and the like. Yes?
Moshe!!! One last time - instruct the people of Israel saying: "You shall not boil a kid in its mother's milk!"
And Moses replied:
I understand. So you want us to be sure not to use the same knife for cutting the brisket that we use for slicing our pizza. True?
MOSHE !!!! ...
Oh ... never mind ... do it your own way.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:26 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Turkey, chicken and other birds are classified as meat even though they don't produce milk. I believe that the reason was in ancient times sometimes it was hard to distinguish for example chicken breast from a veal (baby cow) breast meat which can't be had with dairy foods. So to make sure that there was no confusion birds were included in the same category as mammals.
Wow, when did I write that? A couple of years ago? That's how a rabbi explained it to me. Something about two different sects of Jews, Sephardi Jews thought it was perfectly fine and the Ashkenazi Jews thought it was not OK for the reason you wrote. Or something to that effect.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
That's how a rabbi explained it to me. Something about two different sects of Jews, Sephardi Jews thought it was perfectly fine and the Ashkenazi Jews thought it was not OK for the reason you wrote. Or something to that effect.
I would find that very surprising. See here.

On the other hand, Ashkenazi and Sephardi Jews do differ on the eating of kitnyot during Pesach.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
I would find that very surprising. See here.

On the other hand, Ashkenazi and Sephardi Jews do differ on the eating of kitnyot during Pesach.
Whatever, I wasn't in any position to be surprised. From what he said it was common place in the Sephardi indigenous culture and just kept on with it, IOW, they probably just didn't know better. But like i said, and the closing paragraph confirming what I understood,

Quote:
To sum it all up: Since people thought of fowl as meat, the Rabbis were concerned that if people were permitted to eat fowl and milk together, they would conclude that other types of meat must also be permitted with milk. They thus decreed that everything which people think of as meat should be prohibited to eat with milk, and decreed that fowl and kosher wild animals, which were not prohibited by Torah law, would henceforth by prohibited by Rabbinic law.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Whatever, I wasn't in any position to be surprised. From what he said it was common place in the Sephardi indigenous culture and just kept on with it, IOW, they probably just didn't know better.
That is inaccurate and condescending.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
That is inaccurate and condescending.
Really? Then shame on that rabbi. What was it that he said was inaccurate and condescending? The link you provided confirmed it. Like I said, I wasn't in any position to be surprised, I just took his word for it. But this was quite a while ago, check the dates on the posts, it's been over two years, and it is not like I can put you in touch with him so you can chide him.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Really? Then shame on that rabbi. What was it that he said was inaccurate and condescending? The link you provided confirmed it. ....
Confirmed that "Sephardi Jews thought it was perfectly fine" because "it was common place in the Sephardi indigenous culture and just kept on with it, IOW, they probably just didn't know better." Really? Read it again.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Confirmed that "Sephardi Jews thought it was perfectly fine" because "it was common place in the Sephardi indigenous culture and just kept on with it, IOW, they probably just didn't know better." Really? Read it again.
I know...That is what the rabbi told me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism