Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:21 PM

60 posts, read 65,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I am a Jew by choice. Jews are not a race we are a religion. There are Jews by birth and by choice and we are all Jews. They didn't send me anywhere I studied for a year on my own,then a year under a rabbi, took classes on my own and then I chose to become Jewish. Why are you so insensitive towards the Holocaust? Do you not realize 12 million people were killed? Do you not realize that survivors are still alive? That whole families were killed, that children became orphans, if they survived. It is endless the stories. My son learned about the holocaust this year and his response was why did they hate the Jews? and mom am I safe?? So you need to understand this is very personal to me and every other Jew. Its important that we never forget or it may be repeated.

The Catholic church put forward the stances that planted the seed of anti semitism.
We Jews were labeled Christ Killers, and then there was the blood libel, that we used the blood of Christian children for our matzah. The Catholic was offended by our Kol Nidre prayer and it was taken out of our liturgy. We lived through pogroms and forced migrations.

The Catholic church was responsible for the inquisition to weed out those who had converted to Christianity under pain of death but continued to be Jews.

What Jesus said and the church did are 2 very different things. I am not ignorant of Catholicism, my parents chose to become Catholic after I was grown and have been catholic for the last 30 years. They live the best of Catholicism. They have the values of Judaism.

But I think that the Catholic has a very trouble history when it comes to Jews and its not just my opinion it is history.

Way to hijack the thread

As for the OP and the original question, maybe it's all about control with them. Why else would they try to come between a woman (man) and God in private prayers. I guess they are willing to concede God answers prayers and they are afraid God might answer the christians' prayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:29 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreedleDee View Post
Way to hijack the thread

As for the OP and the original question, maybe it's all about control with them. Why else would they try to come between a woman (man) and God in private prayers. I guess they are willing to concede God answers prayers and they are afraid God might answer the christians' prayers.

For sure its hijacking a thread about conversion of the Jews and the prayers given by the catholic church by talking about exactly that conversion of the Jews and the catholic church . :-/ Anyway I'll discuss, I won't argue. And for the record we Jews are perfectly happy with being Jewish we don't need your churches prayers....

Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 PM

60 posts, read 65,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
For sure its hijacking a thread about conversion of the Jews and the prayers given by the catholic church by talking about exactly that conversion of the Jews and the catholic church . :-/ Anyway I'll discuss, I won't argue. And for the record we Jews are perfectly happy with being Jewish we don't need your churches prayers....

Ok then discuss it........

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionThis View Post
My question then is why are the jews so concerned about a prayer in church between a catholic parishioner and God? It is said in a church in prayer, to God, yet Rabbis felt it necessary to demand its removal, alteration and subsequent changes in text for the prayer service. Why make ANY demand regarding a person's prayers?

I mean really, the rabbis are saying catholics can't pray prayers to God, in church, that THEY find objectionable?

How can you justify telling a person what she may or may not pray for in her private prayers to God?

So am I allowed to kneel in silent prayer to God and pray for a million dollars or do I have to clear that with the rabbis too?

Old 04-04-2010, 10:04 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreedleDee View Post
Ok then discuss it........

How can you justify telling a person what she may or may not pray for in her private prayers to God?

So am I allowed to kneel in silent prayer to God and pray for a million dollars or do I have to clear that with the rabbis too?
They're free to pray whatever they want to their G-d. Just don't expect us to not judge them for the evil they hold in their hearts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism