Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 06:20 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times

Advertisements

I take offense to the term "Native Americans." It implies that I am -not- native to this country. I'm third generation American. I'd say that makes me native-born, hm? My tribe might be Judah, but I'm still native, to America.

I'm not a Native Israeli..or a Native German...no, I'm native american. Because, I was born here, of parents who are also native to this country. By definition - I am native.

I also take issue to "the race of people formerly known as Black" calling themselves African-Americans. If they aren't FROM Africa, they're not African-anythings. Furthermore, there are caucasion people from Africa, who have moved to the USA, and reside here, legally, have citizenship. THEY are African-American. But if they said that to a black guy they'd probably get a whole sackful of grief.

Unless you're FROM Africa - you're not African-anything. People trying to seperate and isolate themselves from society by coming up with more confounded labels do nothing to encourage community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 11:22 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I take offense to the term "Native Americans." It implies that I am -not- native to this country. I'm third generation American. I'd say that makes me native-born, hm? My tribe might be Judah, but I'm still native, to America.

I'm not a Native Israeli..or a Native German...no, I'm native american. Because, I was born here, of parents who are also native to this country. By definition - I am native.

I also take issue to "the race of people formerly known as Black" calling themselves African-Americans. If they aren't FROM Africa, they're not African-anythings. Furthermore, there are caucasion people from Africa, who have moved to the USA, and reside here, legally, have citizenship. THEY are African-American. But if they said that to a black guy they'd probably get a whole sackful of grief.

Unless you're FROM Africa - you're not African-anything. People trying to seperate and isolate themselves from society by coming up with more confounded labels do nothing to encourage community.
They picked African-American because some stupid people take offence when they are referred to as "blacks" or "black people"

Frankly, when I was in India, we used to go by the biological definition. We used to refer to them as "negro". Think I can't do that in the US, coz I'll get killed

Old 04-16-2010, 09:48 PM

425 posts, read 366,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

I already got in trouble once on this thread. Let me make this perfectly clear , the Native Americans were killed off in order for Europeans to move here and thrive. You may be a native in regards to being born here, but you are not a native in regards to having an NA mother tongue .You being here as far as bloodlines go is the result of killing off the original inhabitants. To say the least the way North America has been populated and trampled on is an imposition to the original inhabitants and the land. It is simply criminal. For any immigrant tribe to revitalize here in the Us is at the expense of the NA . NA culture is on life support.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:44 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Dakota View Post
I already got in trouble once on this thread. Let me make this perfectly clear , the Native Americans were killed off in order for Europeans to move here and thrive. You may be a native in regards to being born here, but you are not a native in regards to having an NA mother tongue .You being here as far as bloodlines go is the result of killing off the original inhabitants. To say the least the way North America has been populated and trampled on is an imposition to the original inhabitants and the land. It is simply criminal. For any immigrant tribe to revitalize here in the Us is at the expense of the NA . NA culture is on life support.
Killed off "in order for" Europeans to move here? That makes it sound like there was a third party responsible. It was the Europeans who dealt with the Native Americans--and they certainly didn't need help from anyone else.

Now, if I may ask, what has that got to do with the OP's question?

Old 04-17-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Killed off "in order for" Europeans to move here? That makes it sound like there was a third party responsible. It was the Europeans who dealt with the Native Americans--and they certainly didn't need help from anyone else.

Now, if I may ask, what has that got to do with the OP's question?
You got me , I got side tracked at Jews not being a race. Anyway I suppose one could look at charitable organizations within the Hebrew frey. Who do they look out for ? Are Jewish charities sect oriented ? How are the Ethiopians doing in Israel ?

Old 04-17-2010, 02:18 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,330 times
Quote:
You got me , I got side tracked at Jews not being a race. Anyway I suppose one could look at charitable organizations within the Hebrew frey. Who do they look out for ? Are Jewish charities sect oriented ? How are the Ethiopians doing in Israel ?

wow you are all over the map........

Old 04-17-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
wow you are all over the map........
I/m sorry Jazzymom , I was out of line on that post back a bit . As for being all over the map there are many things to consider. The OP kind of invites all over the map .

Old 04-17-2010, 03:23 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
I suppose one could look at charitable organizations within the Hebrew frey. Who do they look out for ? Are Jewish charities sect oriented ? How are the Ethiopians doing in Israel ?
Let's suppose for just a minute that you take that first sentence and substitute, well, just about any other word for "Hebrew." Charitable organizations within the Christian/Islamic/black/Hispanic/gay/feminist...pick any word you like. Or come up with one of your own!

My question is: can anyone be the least bit surprised if a Jewish charity focuses on Jewish causes and concerns? I fail to see how this whole thing becomes a debate. (Of course, I could be looking at it differently from other people, owing to the fact that I'm Jewish).

Old 04-17-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Let's suppose for just a minute that you take that first sentence and substitute, well, just about any other word for "Hebrew." Charitable organizations within the Christian/Islamic/black/Hispanic/gay/feminist...pick any word you like. Or come up with one of your own!

My question is: can anyone be the least bit surprised if a Jewish charity focuses on Jewish causes and concerns? I fail to see how this whole thing becomes a debate. (Of course, I could be looking at it differently from other people, owing to the fact that I'm Jewish).
LOL Shalom Aleichem Fred. Seeing your a Jew ,then you should know a think or two about the state of da Hebrews as a collective. A bud named Moshe told me once that he hated many Israels and would kill them if he could and get away.He loathed modern religion as a remnant of what Hitler wiped out . I'm pretty sure I said in my first post on this thread it ain't no diff within any Race/Tongue .Then again the history past present and future of the Hebrews is set as an example for the world to follow. That would include those who make up the foundation and perpetuation of Christianity as well. Judah as a collective holds the scepter of rule, be it in err or in righteousness.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
So how far back is the blame game going, hm? My family on both sides is Jewish, and the heritage goes all the way back to the original Tribes. So sure, a few of our generational ancestors were of European descent. But prior to that, nope. When all them thar Europeans were invading North America, MY ancestors were in Israel. So no, I won't be blaming my European ancestry on the pillage of North America. My European ancestry had nothing to do with it. My Germanic ancestry doesn't go back that far. And my Russian ancestry only goes back to the last couple of Czars.

I AM a native American. My mother IS a native American. Her mother WAS a native American, and her father WAS an immigrant, before the turn of the 20th century.

Smoke on that Peace Pipe, Dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism