Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:54 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times

Advertisements

I apologize for being ignorant. I have a question, and it is a sincere question.

I read recently that Jewish people will help one another financially even if they do not know one another. The author of the article where I read this used the example that if a Jewish merchant is having problems, that other Jewish merchants in the community will help him financially to be successful. People who do not even know him other than to know that he is Jewish.

I am wondering if this is true information. Is this a tradition in the Jewish community? It makes sense, of course, but it is hard to imagine that people that don't know one another would risk their own finances to help a stranger just because they are the same faith.

Just wondering. Thanks.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 11:27 PM

425 posts, read 366,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I apologize for being ignorant. I have a question, and it is a sincere question.

I read recently that Jewish people will help one another financially even if they do not know one another. The author of the article where I read this used the example that if a Jewish merchant is having problems, that other Jewish merchants in the community will help him financially to be successful. People who do not even know him other than to know that he is Jewish.

I am wondering if this is true information. Is this a tradition in the Jewish community? It makes sense, of course, but it is hard to imagine that people that don't know one another would risk their own finances to help a stranger just because they are the same faith.

Just wondering. Thanks.

20yrsinBranson
Abrahamism some Jews will **** on others . Look at Bernie . It's a crap shoot . Just like every other race some of the best and worst people in regards to how they treat family members.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:

Just wondering. Thanks.

20yrsinBranson
Your speaking of Abrahamism. Some Jews will **** on others . Look at Bernie . It's a crap shoot . Just like every other race some of the best and worst people in regards to how they treat family members. Abrahamism says treat family like yourself.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:22 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:

Just wondering. Thanks.

20yrsinBranson

Ok, here is my take on it... We Jews help each other because over the course of history we have learned that it is us we can count on.

Yes we help each other and no we are not all perfect but you will find that for the most part we are a family and we stick together.

When you are part of a community that others have historically either killed or exiled you learn who you can count on.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Dakota View Post
Your speaking of Abrahamism. Some Jews will **** on others . Look at Bernie . It's a crap shoot . Just like every other race some of the best and worst people in regards to how they treat family members. Abrahamism says treat family like yourself.

We are not a race! Look at us we come in all different ethnicities. We are Caucasian, Hispanic, African American, Asian, and Middle eastern. We are not all of the same race. We are a family related by religion and history.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:48 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Actually yes, we are Jazzymom. We all descend from specific tribes, so regardless of how thin our bloodlines have become, we are indeed a race of people. We're a race, a culture, a religion, and some would argue, even a nationality.

As for the idea of helping out a stranger who's Jewish, it's not merely Abrahamism. It's also tzedakah. There are different levels of tzedakah (charity), but the most sacred, is to give anonymously, to an anonymous recipient. Charitable gifts are part of Jewish law; there's no tithing to the church since you don't have to be a member of the church (synagogue) in order to attend and pray and if you want to be a member you pay annual dues, not weekly tithes.

If your neighbor needs help, you help them. If you need help, your neighbor will help you. In Judaism, the notion of "it takes a village to raise a child" is extended to support the entire community. It takes a village to support a village. And it is done not only as a central point of community, it is also done as part of the tradition and laws of tzedakah.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Actually yes, we are Jazzymom. We all descend from specific tribes, so regardless of how thin our bloodlines have become, we are indeed a race of people. We're a race, a culture, a religion, and some would argue, even a nationality.

As for the idea of helping out a stranger who's Jewish, it's not merely Abrahamism. It's also tzedakah. There are different levels of tzedakah (charity), but the most sacred, is to give anonymously, to an anonymous recipient. Charitable gifts are part of Jewish law; there's no tithing to the church since you don't have to be a member of the church (synagogue) in order to attend and pray and if you want to be a member you pay annual dues, not weekly tithes.

If your neighbor needs help, you help them. If you need help, your neighbor will help you. In Judaism, the notion of "it takes a village to raise a child" is extended to support the entire community. It takes a village to support a village. And it is done not only as a central point of community, it is also done as part of the tradition and laws of tzedakah.
no, because many are Jews by choice and over history people have been taken in who were not Jews by birth . Not all Jews are descendants of specific tribes.

Many Jews see themselves as part of a religion and family, not a race. Races share physical characteristics and Jews are not all the same race. We share a religion, history, we are a family. Yes we share a culture but even in that there are cultural differences. I am speaking as a Jew who chose to be Jewish.

So with respect I differ on that.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
We are not a race! Look at us we come in all different ethnicities. We are Caucasian, Hispanic, African American, Asian, and Middle eastern. We are not all of the same race. We are a family related by religion and history.
You are correct Israelites are a collection of tribes many of which that have been assimilated into non Hebrew cultures. The original Hebrew language and faith was one of assimilation as much as it was distinguishing itself from other faiths and tongues.Indeed Yeshuah was a second Adam as he was formed from the dust of living matter known as Tribes. Mary and Joseph had sex and out came Adam Yeshuah Hamashiach. Jews specifically are from the tribe of Judah. A large percentage of non Jews in the middle east are Semites just as Jews are and they share specific DNA codes. I suppose race really applies to a mother tongue and a group of tribes that speak it . I wonder how many folks with European bloodlines have a Hebrew speaker somewhere in it ? A littel leaven , leavens the whole loaf. I love Hebrew and the ancient languages of the fertile crescent and Egypt. The third incarnation of Adam walks the planet.

Last edited by Rabbi Dakota; 04-15-2010 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
no, because many are Jews by choice and over history people have been taken in who were not Jews by birth . Not all Jews are descendants of specific tribes.

Many Jews see themselves as part of a religion and family, not a race. Races share physical characteristics and Jews are not all the same race. We share a religion, history, we are a family. Yes we share a culture but even in that there are cultural differences. I am speaking as a Jew who chose to be Jewish.

So with respect I differ on that.
The common practice of attaching ones self to Judaism or to a sect of Christianity was as much to share bloodlines as it was to share a faith. A Jew can say Jesus wasn't the messiah and king of Jews all they want to .The dispersion of Israel and assimilation process that occurred through Eucharist says otherwise. Judaism and Christiantiy Good cop Bad Cop. Messiah Ben David Messiah Ben Joseph.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
That's exactly why these guys and their cronies have infested every corner of the corporate world, with their jewish brotherhood or whatever they prefer to call that, basking in the glory of their so-called troubled history.

Favouritism is dirty, but with the Jewish folks it's super dirty.

I have known guys who walk into job interviews, are totally incompetent, play the jew card and walk out with the offer letter They even say you just have to bring up some distant relative who suffered in the holocaust, there is an instant huddle and the deal is sealed

But they tell me all this coz I'm good at deceiving them into believing that I can be trusted. Besides, I'm a foreigner and they see no threat in me. But the practice still makes me sick to my stomach. It's unfair.

In every realm, they tend to go to every extent to guard one another's back.
First off let me say the reason Jews are so good within intellectual pursuit in many respects has to do with the faithful study of Torah and Hebrew . Then again Germans are very technically oriented as well. There are those of us who believe there are reasons for this that have to do with the dispersion in part. The scepter of rule was allotted to Judah and this applies to all areas of knowledge. That being said there are those who will exploit the holocaust for what is termed a Zionist agenda, then there is La Raza and Mexican nationalism. There are blacks who do so in the name of the NAACP. AIM falls short of such grandeur, as the condition of NA languages are so poor and this is eating away the integrity of the NA as a collective. The Irony of special groups that in some way associate themselves with the US is that they did it all the the Native Americans first. I can assure you that a day is coming that specific bloodlines of the NA non NA mix and the tribe of Judah will be recognizably united .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism