Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:06 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times

Advertisements

Judaism is a culture rich in history, beliefs and heritage. This thread is dedicated to Jewish people from long ago to today. Without getting into serious debates and keeping this thread clean how do you see the Jewish culture enriching your life either through religion, neighbors, friends, government support of Israel or anything else. If you have any music videos or links to site you'd like to share I would love to have them included in this thread.

On a personal note I will say that I attended a church that gave me my beginning understanding of Judaism and how it integrates into Christianity. Since then I've befriended many Jewish people and have had the opportunity to learn about their religion. I've so enjoyed all aspects of their religion, including Matzo Ball Soup!

Included in my study about Judaism I've conclued that Jews have been widely persecuted because they are God's chosen people. Thank you to every Jewish person for bringing such a beautfiul culture and religion to these United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 04:43 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
I have already posted my respect and admiration for the Jewish faith. I think it would do all Christians good to look back to where they came from.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:49 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
I think the faith of the Jews is a testament in itself. Many religions have suffered persecution at one time or another during history, but the Jews suffered for literally century after century. They did not give up their faith. A lesser group would have bowed out and begged for their lives. Not to get gristly, but we're talking hundreds, thousands or millions of people at a time being targeted for forced conversions. Few actually converted. Then, most recently, of course, millions of people were just killed, period (the Holocaust); not even a stab was made at pretending to want them to convert, they were just destroyed and that was that. Yet there are still Jews today, and they are still firm in their faith.

I don't think we, in America in the year 2007, can really fully comprehend this. I don't think most people can imagine being "tested" in those ways. We think trying to find a job or having someone call us a name is being tested. Truly, we just don't know. I think the Jewish religion is strong and beautiful. It is one of our oldest surviving religions, considerably older than the next two oldest, Hinduism and Buddhism.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:21 PM

This is for Gizmo -
YouTube - Itzhak Perlman plays Klezmer

Old 06-16-2007, 08:22 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
My father's side of the family is Jewish (mostly reform or even secular these days), and I am somewhat culturally Jewish though not religiously so. I was never bat mitzvah'ed, but I learned to read Hebrew in college at the campus Jewish center. I have proudly written my own Haggadah to have a Passover seder at my house. We also celebrate Chanukah at my house. I have a Jewish holiday songs for children CD that I enjoy using to learn songs to sing to my daughter. I generally enjoy Jewish culture, but especially Passover!

Old 06-17-2007, 06:44 PM

These are some Yiddish words that have made it into my vocabulary and now my kids...when I was in NYC no one ever noticed but down here I get some weird looks now and then...LOL

Oi, Vai! - Dear me! Expression of dismay or hurt (but I always type it as Oy vey, which I just found out is wrong)
Nudnik - Pesty nagger, nuisance, a bore, obnoxious person (this is my pet term for my in-laws)
Nor Got vaist - Only G-d knows.
Nosh - Snack
Bupkis - Nothing. Something totally worthless
Nishtkefelecht - No big deal!
Mitzvah - Good deed
Meshugener - Mad, crazy, insane man (this is a great word!)
L'chei-im, le'chayim! - To life!
Kosher - Jewish dietary laws based on "cleanliness". (But I always use it to state "something's not right here")

I have some more, but we do want to keep it clean now.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:57 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,844 times
Thanks Hoosier now i am craving Latkes... Anyway that is why I personally follow a Messianic Judaism, though I am by birth gentile.

MBG

Old 06-17-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Thanks Hoosier now i am craving Latkes... Anyway that is why I personally follow a Messianic Judaism, though I am by birth gentile.

MBG
You know I was gonna ask if you were a Messianic Jew...because of the kosher, Yashua and Miriam thing. Makes so much more sense to me now.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:47 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
These are some Yiddish words that have made it into my vocabulary and now my kids...when I was in NYC no one ever noticed but down here I get some weird looks now and then...LOL

Oi, Vai! - Dear me! Expression of dismay or hurt (but I always type it as Oy vey, which I just found out is wrong)
Nudnik - Pesty nagger, nuisance, a bore, obnoxious person (this is my pet term for my in-laws)
Nor Got vaist - Only G-d knows.
Nosh - Snack
Bupkis - Nothing. Something totally worthless
Nishtkefelecht - No big deal!
Mitzvah - Good deed
Meshugener - Mad, crazy, insane man (this is a great word!)
L'chei-im, le'chayim! - To life!
Kosher - Jewish dietary laws based on "cleanliness". (But I always use it to state "something's not right here")

I have some more, but we do want to keep it clean now.

I will have to use some of these words with my friend/co-worker tomorrow and see the looks I get. He, his wife and son were at our house for dinner Saturday night. I made sure everything was as kosher as possible and without thinking began preparing various appetizers including shrimp. Thank goodness I remembered shrimp wasn't kosher. So back in the fridge those went for later!

I have learned so much about the Jewish faith through them and am truly amazed at the religion. After they left that evening I happened to look around the house and noticed that pretty much all of our artwork is Chrisitan based with Scripture and images of Christ, a few crosses etc.

Oh, and right before dinner I was trying to figure out how to pray so as not to offend them, but remain true. I figured I could pray and then just leave off "in Jesus' name" at the end. I know some people who think God really hasn't heard you or will answer you if you leave off that last part "in Jesus' name". Well at the end of the prayer sure enough, I added "in Jesus' name" because I didn't know how to end the prayer without it. I know they weren't offended, I just wanted to be respectful and not have them feel uncomfortable.

Oh, and earlier in the evening they were talking with my wife about a few different toys and videos and she said, "Oh well you can get them for your son for Christmas." I tried to get her attention but then she said it about something else. I called her into the kitchen and reminded her they don't celebrate Christmas. She was mortified. Again, we just wanted them to feel comfortable and of course we all have a super time laughing, eating and watching the kids play.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:20 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post

MBG
That's *awesome* MBG !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism