Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:06 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

Kansas reportedly offers $5 million incentive to group to move from Missouri - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/09/2211231/kansas-reportedly-offers-5-million.html - broken link)

Quote:
The nonprofit organization, the oldest association of state officials in the country, employs 460 people locally with an average salary of $64,500. It has been at Crown Center for 10 years and based in Kansas City for 26 years.
Quote:
Across the border, the Sprint campus in Overland Park is hoping to lure yet another Kansas City firm.
Quote:
“It’s frustrating, because we go in with a good competitive offer. Moving a business eight or 10 miles across the state line is an absurd place to find ourselves in as a region.”
Only kansas people can see any good in this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 07:37 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Kansas reportedly offers $5 million incentive to group to move from Missouri - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/09/2211231/kansas-reportedly-offers-5-million.html - broken link)

Only kansas people can see any good in this...
Again, you miss the mark.

No, it isn't good. It sucks.

But whining about it is a waste of time and money. They better get their butts back to the drawing board and fast!

It's a challenge, yes. It's a tough challenge. But it's not an impossible situation. To paraphrase Albert Einstein: The significant problems KC faces cannot be solved at the same level of thinking they were at when the problems arose.

This is the same conversation I have with my kid when he complains about being beaten in a competitive situation: You have two choices: Quit or work harder. Your call.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:01 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
If you really want to dig deeper into this technically we don't even really need Office Buildings at all. The way communication has been everyone could basically just work from there home via remote log in and things like that. Jetblue's reservations and customer service centers are all done at home by housewives in Utah or something. I really could work from home if i wanted too, i know tons of other people who just work from home.
The only jobs where you really need to be at the place are crap jobs like fast food, resturants, retail and cutural things

Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
If you really want to dig deeper into this technically we don't even really need Office Buildings at all. The way communication has been everyone could basically just work from there home via remote log in and things like that. Jetblue's reservations and customer service centers are all done at home by housewives in Utah or something. I really could work from home if i wanted too, i know tons of other people who just work from home.
The only jobs where you really need to be at the place are crap jobs like fast food, resturants, retail and cutural things
Yep. Telecommuting is definitely changing the face of business and will continue to do so.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:39 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post

But whining about it is a waste of time and money. They better get their butts back to the drawing board and fast!

It's a challenge, yes. It's a tough challenge. But it's not an impossible situation. To paraphrase Albert Einstein: The significant problems KC faces cannot be solved at the same level of thinking they were at when the problems arose.

This is the same conversation I have with my kid when he complains about being beaten in a competitive situation: You have two choices: Quit or work harder. Your call.
I don't believe you when you say "it sucks" because I know what you really want to say is "well, good for Kansas, tough cookie for kcmo".

That is the typical attitude you will find from KS side residents and it goes right along with "well, it's kcmo's fault they suck at everything and they are running the companies off to kansas". That is the other general viewpoint which has been displayed by most ks side forum members on this forum.

You want kcmo to go back to the drawing board? And do what? Offer existing companies a deal of no taxes? Do you seriously think that it's in the best interest of any city to basically let companies office for free just to keep them from going to kansas? You might get by with it once, but then everybody will want the same incentives or they too will threaten to leave.

Do you realize that most metropolitan areas have strong regional alliances? They have regular mayors caucuses, regional economic development alliances, even revenue sharing among suburbs and counties? Now this won't stop all competition, but greatly reduces it form what goes on in KC. The fierce one sided battle over companies between a core city and a suburban county exists no place else to the extent it does in KC. Has the mayor of Overland Park even met the any of the MO side mayors? I mean it is the second largest city in the metro. But to KCMO, the city of OP is nothing more than an enemy, rival, competitor etc.

It's not like KCMO and the MO side have not tried to create such alliances. As I have mentioned before, days after a regional alliance summit, Overland Park announced it was offering close to 50 million in incentives to lure over long-time kcmo pharmaceuticals company Quintiles to a new building. They were doing this while the summit was taking place.

It killed the momentum of the summit and the metro once again went its separate ways.

Every city has large corporate suburbs that compete to some degree with their urban cores, but most have a civil level of respect for each other and avoid what is going on in KC.

The friction and resentment in metro KC with the state line is already off the charts and it's getting worse by the month. You can tell in the the tone of the voice of Bill Lucus. That is a guy that would probably give up a lease if it were in the best interest of the community. He runs the two Crown Center hotels, yet is probably th biggest advocate of building a downtown hotel that would no doubt compete with the Hyatt and Westin because he gets what the overall benefits to having a busy and active destination downtown are, even if it will create major competition for his office, retail and hotels in crown center.

The way JoCo and the KS side continues to interact with KCMO and MO will forever be metro KC's big FAIL and keep the city stuck in a rut.

Google metropolitan cooporation and denver, minneapolis, portland, indianapolis etc. I dare you. What you find might shock you.

I'm not sure why I care anymore. I don't live there. It's like watching a relative die of cancer though. Metro KC is self destructing and even the people of johnson county will eventially pay the price right along side kcmo.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Are you sure about that? Every job, other than the ones mentioned, can be accomplished while sitting on one's ass at a computer terminal? Is beer made online?

I suggest that pretty much the only jobs that can be done at home are the ones which can be done away with entirely or exported to a third-world country.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I don't believe you when you say "it sucks" because I know what you really want to say is "well, good for Kansas, tough cookie for kcmo".

That is the typical attitude you will find from KS side residents and it goes right along with "well, it's kcmo's fault they suck at everything and they are running the companies off to kansas".
You just put a bunch of words in my mouth. That's called "straw man" arguing. You are arguing against what you say I said, instead of what I really said. If you you aren't going to take what I say at face value, then why bother discussing anything?

Quote:
That is the other general viewpoint which has been displayed by most ks side forum members on this forum.
Then you attribute the same straw man to others in general.

Quote:
You want kcmo to go back to the drawing board? And do what? Offer existing companies a deal of no taxes?
Maybe. Or something else. It seems that OP has looked at tax incentives as an "investment" and it seems to be one that has paid off.

I don't know what will work. But I know that whining won't help at all.

Quote:
Do you realize that most metropolitan areas have strong regional alliances? They have regular mayors caucuses, regional economic development alliances, even revenue sharing among suburbs and counties? Now this won't stop all competition, but greatly reduces it form what goes on in KC. The fierce one sided battle over companies between a core city and a suburban county exists no place else to the extent it does in KC. Has the mayor of Overland Park even met the any of the MO side mayors? I mean it is the second largest city in the metro. But to KCMO, the city of OP is nothing more than an enemy, rival, competitor etc.

It's not like KCMO and the MO side have not tried to create such alliances. As I have mentioned before, days after a regional alliance summit, Overland Park announced it was offering close to 50 million in incentives to lure over long-time kcmo pharmaceuticals company Quintiles to a new building. They were doing this while the summit was taking place.

It killed the momentum of the summit and the metro once again went its separate ways.
More finger pointing, more blaming, more whining. But still no looking in the mirror.

KC's idea of "regional alliance" has a history of being pretty one-sided. KC also has a history of bad financial decisions, waste and corruption within their city government. They have quite a bit of legwork to do before they can expect OP to step up to plate with them and "cooperate". But you seem to have a very hard time recognizing or admitting this.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:57 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post

I don't know whether I'm going to be able to get this thought across sensibly or not, but I'm going to give it a try. Respectfully, Samantha, I'm confused.

I find the highlighted comment puzzling when viewed against the big-picture of most of the rest of your commentary in this ongoing tug-of-war with kcmo because it makes a moral or ethical judgment on the issue (that I don't share, by the way) that would seem to be in harmony with his.

If I shared his viewpoint from a moral/ethical standpoint, I would be right there with him in fighting the individual battles that he has been waging because it would be the right thing to do. It just seems to me that if the events in question really do "suck" for the people of the KC metro area, then kcmo's stance should be applauded and supported consistently as he has poured his heart and a lot of time and effort into it and has very articulately stated his case. I respect that, but I see the world very differently than he does. Downtown ballparks is a prime example of our diametrically opposed viewpoints, but is beside the point of this post.

Not that it matters whether I understand, but I don't get the seeming to agree in principle and yet continuing to battle in the trenches.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:03 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
I have a solution to keep Johnson County and Jackson county at odds... the businesses can moove to Orlando where the weather is so much nicer.. Come on down we would love to welcome you :-)

Old 09-10-2010, 05:36 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Thanks for the offer, but I've already been to Florida once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City