U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:00 PM

8 posts, read 14,927 times

Advertisements

In today's paper their was an article about the possible move of KeyBank Real Estate Capital to JoCo moving about 300 jobs out of the Commerce Tower. In the paper they were quoting saying that "it's sad that Kansas considers it a victory to move a business from one side of the state line to the other." And I absolutely agree with them.

As someone who grew up in Johnson County and have only lived in Kansas City for only about a month, I can't believe how much JoCo can hurt an entire metro. JoCo (&WyCo) don't help pay for the stadiums, the zoo, or anything that try's to make KC an attractive city. It is at the expense of the Jackson County taxpayers. Ya people say that since they don't live in the county, they shouldn't pay, but we all can agree that close to half of the people going to the stadiums or going to the zoo live in Johnson County. JoCo even wants no part with the regional light rail plan. Since I have been out of the county for college and live currently in Jackson, I have seen JoCo from another perspective. In high school I had friends who lived in Missouri and they always dissed me and my friends for growing up in Johnson, but I always ignored it. Now I see the resentment people have against JoCo and the division people talked about, which I guess I just ignorantly ignored when I was younger.

I talked to my dad earlier about this and he said he could drive down college blvd and pick out the companies that use to be in Missouri. I just feel like the state of Kansas is pretty desperate to grow and will do anything to prey businesses from Missouri because it cant attract any from out of state. My dad just called it dirty politics and just how states compete with each other, but I think that's a set back for the whole metro. Missouri needs to act fast and do something to keep this company from leaving and retaining other companies. Also can someone tell what Kansas offers that Missouri cant? I know its about money and the paper touched on it, but I'm still confused?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 07:46 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,133,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msu10 View Post
In today's paper their was an article about the possible move of KeyBank Real Estate Capital to JoCo moving about 300 jobs out of the Commerce Tower. In the paper they were quoting saying that "it's sad that Kansas considers it a victory to move a business from one side of the state line to the other." And I absolutely agree with them.
KeyBank Real Estate Capital weighs moving from downtown Kansas City - Kansas City Business Journal

Sprint has a lot of office space to fill. Can't really blame them for going after tenants who are not happy with their current digs, no matter where they are.

Quote:
As someone who grew up in Johnson County and have only lived in Kansas City for only about a month, I can't believe how much JoCo can hurt an entire metro. JoCo (&WyCo) don't help pay for the stadiums, the zoo, or anything that try's to make KC an attractive city. It is at the expense of the Jackson County taxpayers. Ya people say that since they don't live in the county, they shouldn't pay, but we all can agree that close to half of the people going to the stadiums or going to the zoo live in Johnson County.
Last time I was in any of those places, they didn't let me in for free. JoCo folks pay plenty in earnings and sales taxes on the MO side as well.

Quote:
JoCo even wants no part with the regional light rail plan.
I am not an expert on this, but the plans I have seen involve the first phases going in on the MO side. Can't blame JoCo for not wanting to pay for something when they are likely to see little to no investment return, can you? The city of KC, MO does not have a good history of making sound financial decisions. If they want JoCo's money, they will first have to prove that they know how to spend their own.

Quote:
Since I have been out of the county for college and live currently in Jackson, I have seen JoCo from another perspective. In high school I had friends who lived in Missouri and they always dissed me and my friends for growing up in Johnson, but I always ignored it. Now I see the resentment people have against JoCo and the division people talked about, which I guess I just ignorantly ignored when I was younger.
Yes, many people resent the success that JoCo has experienced in becoming both a great corporate and residential suburb. And I agree it's sad that some of the growth has come at the expense of the city. But few of these folks are willing to put any of that responsibility on the city's leadership, where most of it belongs. It's easier to just blame JoCo.

JoCo didn't start the trend of companies moving to the burbs, but they did capitalize on it. They had what companies wanted: Cheap land that was easy to build on and were able to offer tax incentives that made it more appealing.

Quote:
Missouri needs to act fast and do something to keep this company from leaving and retaining other companies.
MO has needed to "act fast" for about 30 years now.

//www.city-data.com/forum/14947408-post19.html

The above post gives a little more history and manages to avoid bagging on JoCo.

So now, we are where we are.

Quote:
Also can someone tell what Kansas offers that Missouri cant? I know its about money and the paper touched on it, but I'm still confused?
It's all about money. Nothing to be confused about.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:57 PM

10,994 posts, read 20,622,027 times
Quote:
“I think it will be difficult to keep them with the new job incentives offered in Kansas,” said Chuck Connealy of Waterford Property. “The job-retention incentives in Missouri don’t stack up.

“I would give us a 10 percent chance of keeping them."
It's destructive. That's the only word I can think of. Everybody in Kansas is fine with this type of stuff, they don't get how much this hurts the city, including JoCo and how much this type of stuff creates resentment and friction. People in JoCo think people in MO are jealous of their lifestyle and don’t like JOCo people because they are “rich”. That’s what they want to think. The fact is that people don’t think that at all. They think a lot of other stuff, but they are not jealous of JoCo’s wealth.

Somebody should take Kansas to court for these "new job" incentives. Unless the jobs come from outside the KC area, they are doing nothing but leaching off of KCMO and doing a lot of damage to the city in the process, let alone continuing to tear the metro apart right down the state line.

Again, it's destructive and irresponsible for JoCo to continue to spur so much of their economic development at the expense of KCMO. It’s past time for JoCo to stand on their own feet. If they can’t get companies to move there from further away than 10-20 miles away in KCMO, then the county is obviously not a great as everybody thinks.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Somebody should take Kansas to court for these "new job" incentives. Unless the jobs come from outside the KC area, they are doing nothing but leaching off of KCMO and doing a lot of damage to the city in the process, let alone continuing to tear the metro apart right down the state line.

Again, it's destructive and irresponsible for JoCo to continue to spur so much of their economic development at the expense of KCMO. It’s past time for JoCo to stand on their own feet. If they can’t get companies to move there from further away than 10-20 miles away in KCMO, then the county is obviously not a great as everybody thinks.
Wow, I thought in the post of yours that I linked, you had moved beyond dishing this crap. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Thank you so much for your enlightening information on what everyone in JoCo and the whole state of KS thinks.

If a company is looking to move elsewhere within the metro, and JoCo has thousands of empty offices, what exactly should they do here???

It's too bad that it hurts the city when this happens. But should JoCo choose to slice its own throat instead? KC has had plenty of time to react to this kind of thing. After decades, it still happens. Why is it still just JoCo's fault???

Old 07-08-2010, 08:08 PM

10,994 posts, read 20,622,027 times
First off, JoCo you are not freaking some county out in Kansas, you are part of a metro area. You have to be the largest metropolitan county, especially being so close to the center city county to get a total free ride. Get over the “you pay for tickets”. That doesn’t cut it. Now I also blame the MO side for this. It should cost JoCo people more to visit the stadiums, museums, zoo etc.

Also, JoCo would have gotten all the money it put into the transit system. It would have been for JoCo lines. You act like Jackson County is asking JoCo to build them a light rail line in Jackson County. That’s flat out wrong. All the other counties simply think it’s important for JoCo to be a part of any regional transit system and JoCo wants no part of it.

That’s all I will say here. Samantha will debate this for 40 pages. She couldn’t care less about any of the ramifications of any of these topics, so long as JOCO benefits and sadly, she is not alone.

That’s why growth on the MO side is so important to the future of Kansas City. Unless you really do want to be the Detroit of the Midwest. Detroit has nice suburbs too. Guess what. Nobody cares.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Somebody should take Kansas to court for these "new job" incentives.
What exactly would the charge be? "Successful economic development in the presence of a local government that is still 30 years behind the times"?

Should K-Mart sue Wal-Mart?
Should the US sue Ghana?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 PM

29,986 posts, read 38,980,165 times
I'd say that KCMO and JOCO KS get along as well as kcmo and Samantha S.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
First off, JoCo you are not freaking some county out in Kansas, you are part of a metro area. You have to be the largest metropolitan county, especially being so close to the center city county to get a total free ride. Get over the “you pay for tickets”. That doesn’t cut it. Now I also blame the MO side for this. It should cost JoCo people more to visit the stadiums, museums, zoo etc.
Yeah, give that a whirl and see where it gets you.

Quote:
All the other counties simply think it’s important for JoCo to be a part of any regional transit system and JoCo wants no part of it.
So start one on your own. If you don't need JoCo money for lines in Jackson County, why aren't there any? Build one from the airport to downtown and/or Plaza.

Quote:
That’s all I will say here.
Can I get odds on that action?

Quote:
Samantha will debate this for 40 pages. She couldn’t care less about any of the ramifications of any of these topics, so long as JOCO benefits
Please do not attempt to speak for me personally. I'm pretty certain that's a violation of the TOS of the forum.

Quote:
That’s why growth on the MO side is so important to the future of Kansas City.
There's something we can agree on!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I'd say that KCMO and JOCO KS get along as well as kcmo and Samantha S.

But sadly, I'd have to agree.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:43 PM

21,712 posts, read 38,101,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
[
Yes, many people resent the success that JoCo has experienced in becoming both a great corporate and residential suburb. And I agree it's sad that some of the growth has come at the expense of the city. But few of these folks are willing to put any of that responsibility on the city's leadership, where most of it belongs. It's easier to just blame JoCo.

Over time, JOCO has become a better place to work instead of a better place to live- unless you like lots of traffic, growth at all costs mentality, and too many people with less than desirable attitudes. It is a GREAT thing that more people are voting with their feet and moving over to the MO side counties. Over time, a stronger KC, MO can override the influences of JOCO for overall job growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City