Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:16 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,582,024 times

Advertisements

@KCMO - keep up the good work. You bring the heat, even if some and KC aren't ready to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 01:51 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,478,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
@KCMO - keep up the good work. You bring the heat, even if some and KC aren't ready to hear it.
Heat is fine, if it's backed up with a clear picture of both sides of the story, a healthy dose of reality and answers to reasonable questions.

I like a good heated debate!

Heat for the sake of venting a tired old grudge backed up with nothing more than clouded memories, dodging the tough questions and a complete refusal to acknowledge any other point of view ... well, that's just the rantings of an old dude who can't let go ...

Old 10-06-2010, 02:10 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,638,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
CrowVic95, you have to be one of the most unproductive contributuers of worthy content on this forum, nearly all your posts are about like the one I just quoted. And lifelongmogal, I don't get you at all, you are just all over the place. You and freestater are the ones that took the population thread and trashed it and you come in here and act like some sort of angel. LifelongMO has stated that JoCo is not part of KC and continues to post KC area threads in the KS forums. I have always thought of JoCo as part of the metro and want JoCo to act more like they ARE part of a metro rather than cannibalizing the metro every chance they get, yet.

Whatever...

I add a lot to this forum and get plenty of positive feedback on my threads and posts and I will continue to do so.
LOL!!

Unproductive contributuers? (is that the French spelling?) You mean like this?....
Quote:
Why call a truce now that KS has taken so many companies from KCMO and very few have moved to KCMO from Kansas? I say fire back. Not just fire back, but nuke em. Offer the kitchen sink, offer so many incentives that moving trucks will be lining up along College Blvd to bring back every company that was once based in KCMO and then some. Give em a taste of their own medicine and have no mercy. Then you will see the Kansas side crying for a truce.
and this?....
Quote:
Just to make sure KCMO is able to annihilate their biggest competitor, they don't need to make revitalizing the urban core a priority. Use incentives to develop greenfields too. They can morph the I-29 corridor south of KCI into the second coming of College Blvd at the expense of Johnson County! Where do I sign up?

Seriously, not good for metro KC, but this is where metro KC is at right now. KCMO is backed into a corner and all this "economic development" in Kansas might just backfire on them.
And you know my ignore list reference was tongue-in-cheek....why would anyone want to do that? That would be like sitting down to watch the Mary Tyler Moore show and then turning off the TV when Ted Baxter made his weekly entrance.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:15 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,135,088 times
Okay, I don't consider KCMO to be the "real" Kansas City, I guess. It's a part of Kansas City, just like all the other cities. When I am talking to someone not from the area, and tell them where I am from, I tell them I live in a suburb of Kansas City on the Kansas side. I don't think KCMO is "more" Kansas City than KCK. I don't think a city is defined by what is there to make someone want to go there - i.e., you can't really say since there's more to attract visitors to KCMO, that it is the real Kansas City. KCMO has the Plaza, the Royals, the Chiefs, Westport, P&L, etc. KCK has Kansas Speedway, The Legends, T-bones. But is that what makes a city a city - visitor attractions? I don't really think so. A lot of people not familiar with Kansas City think the Royals and Chiefs stadiums are in Kansas City, Kansas, because when they hear KANSAS City, they think Kansas. Doesn't bother me. I live in the suburbs because I prefer it to either KCMO or KCK.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,715,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Okay, I don't consider KCMO to be the "real" Kansas City, I guess. It's a part of Kansas City, just like all the other cities.
KCK doesn't compare to KCMO. The speedway area is a nice suburban area and I think it does add to the quality of life of metro KC, but that does not make KCK the primary city of the metro or even a partner.

KCMO is the primary city of the metro. That doesn't mean KCK doesn't have suburbs of its own. Maybe it does. But Overland Park is not one of them in my opinion.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:06 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,715,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
I will

Old 10-08-2010, 08:30 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,485,827 times
I was thinking about this and came up with a much better example from the St. Louis area: St. Charles. It has its own rich, interesting history (I mean it was the first state capitol of Missouri), and has been around just as long as St. Louis. Sometimes I have a hard time considering it -- at least its older areas -- to be a suburb of St. Louis, because it does have that independent history.

What I would never think, however, is that St. Peters and O'Fallon and other destinations west of St. Charles are suburbs of St. Charles. They're not: They're suburbs of St. Louis.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:00 AM

12 posts, read 21,179 times
Default I can't believe I am jumping into the fray

I am not specifically referencing a particular statement, but the truth is native Kansans and Missourians are genetically predisposed to harbor at least a small amount of malice towards their cross-state neighbors.

As far as the statement that Missourians (I am one) make sure that people know they are from Missouri, it goes both ways. I have friends from JoCo who make sure that an out of towner knows they are from Kansas, and not Missouri.

If you want at least some proof of how it works both ways, you can find stories about that old KU football coach who peps up the team with genuine hate-filled rhetoric about Missouri.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:27 AM

396 posts, read 991,605 times
"If you want at least some proof of how it works both ways, you can find stories about that old KU football coach who peps up the team with genuine hate-filled rhetoric about Missouri."

For sure. Or the Mizzou coach who never spent any money in Kansas for a game. They would stay in KCMO, eat, gas up etc. Funny stuff

Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 AM

12 posts, read 21,179 times
Default I am proud of my town

Truth is, despite being a dyed-in-the-wool Missourian, I am proud of my town. I am proud of the fact that we have NFL, MLB, MLS, and NASCAR in town. I am proud that we have as native sons the Chargers best player and the starting QB of the Buccaneers, as well as the one time fastest man in the world. I am proud that we are headquarters to Sprint, Garmin, H&R Block, Cerner, and the architectural firms that design most every sports stadium in the world. I am proud that we have some great comedians and actors from the town, such as Paul Rudd, Jason Sudeikis, Eddie Griffin, and Chris Cooper. I am also proud that we have Quiktrip. I don't know how I survived a year in OKC without it.

What I am not proud of is things like I have to drive 40 miles round trip to OP to go to a decent computer store because they shut down CompUSA in Independence. Or the best furniture store in the world is almost twice as far away as that from me. But, whatever.

These threads are mostly pretty bogus, because I think despite state line bickering, we all are proud of the whole area, especially to out-of-towners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City