Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2007, 05:35 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,358 times

Advertisements

What's it like? How does it compare to areas like Lees Summit and Blue Springs? Thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 10:02 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
What's it like? How does it compare to areas like Lees Summit and Blue Springs? Thanks for the information.
Parkville is a small town along the Missouri River with some nice restaurants and shops in the Downtown area. The town is MUCH smaller than Lee's Summit or Blue Springs. However, Parkville is directly downwind from power plants in the northern part of Platte County. If you are looking for a town that is highly recommended in the "northland" I would look at Liberty. Liberty is a good size town (25,000-30,000 population) and is located right near I-35. The commute to Kansas City, MO is not too bad from this location.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:57 PM

8 posts, read 36,839 times
I choose Liberty. But.. both of my Realtors live in Parkville and love it. I don't know alot about it myself though. Just what they have said. They like being so close to the city and to the airport. Apparently the downtown area is really nice. I have yet to see though. I plan on going there as soon as we move.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:54 AM

276 posts, read 398,318 times
My wife and I lived in Parkville for 6 years before moving out of state for work. We LOVED Parkville. Commute was great, and unparallelled access to services, particularly higher end services. Liberty is also very nice, but slightly less upscale (though by no means low-end). Great schools, and a slightly more cosmopolitan feel in Parkville. Liberty is more down-to-earth, bigger, with a broader range of middle of the road and more affordable dining.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:38 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I adore Parkville, I like it WAY better than Blue Springs and better than Lee's Summit. Parkville has an adorable downtown area, super school districts, and is conveniently located to everything.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:54 PM

7 posts, read 33,136 times
Default Parkville MO

I sell residential real estate in greater KC have lived in LS and Blue Springs and live north currently
Parkville is a very charming town with lots of fun little shops and great restaurants
and offers easy access to downtown KCMO (the arts/concerts), The Country Club Plaza, the Legends complex (KS speedway and shopping)
I would actually buy there myself. People are friendly and it's got small town feel. Easy run to Smithvill lake too
Great Highway access too. Fun small town fourth of July celebrations etc

Between Lee's Summit and Blue Springs I think I like Lee's Summit because it has some charm and good local shopping and easy access to Downtown and the sports complex and easy to get out east on 50 to Sedalia to head to lake of the Ozarks
Marilyn
wfhughes2002@aol.com[/email]

Old 10-31-2007, 07:02 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,624 times
I know this won't offer you much information on the present day Parkville, but I used to live there from the mid to late 70's. It was a very nice town back then ... very laid back. Everyone I encountered was very friendly. My job at the time was in Gladstone and back then of course the drive was a piece of cake. I also had a few part time jobs, one was at the college and I also bartendered on weekends at the local bar. I also did some volunteer work at the halfway house in town for run away kids.

Park college had some very colorful students then. I remember a group from Micronesia of about 20. They would perform their native dances in full customes at the college. Wonderful people. Easy to get along with and exceptionally friendly. I'm sure the college has changed over the years, because back then it was in the top 10 for party schools in the U.S.

I too would be interested in hearing from folks presently living in this town. I realize that in 30 years things will change, but hopefully for Parkville it all cahnged for the better. Heck, the town even has a website. Next time I'm in the area, I want to revisit this town that has given me some great memories.

If there are any folks that lived there at that time, I'm the one that had the old harley motorcycle and the old english sheep dog named Sam.

If the town is I remember, you will love it there.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:32 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I adore Parkville. If my husband and I had decided to take jobs closer to Parkville we would definitely be living there. Parkville has the best school district in the area, and its downtown is adorable. Lee's Summit is very nice, would be my #2 choice. I will be living right outside of LS in the very near future. LS also has a very nice downtown and a good school district. I don't really care for Blue Springs, has no real downtown and seems to be mainly HOA communities.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:45 PM

58 posts, read 221,542 times
I would be glad to find out about the school districts in Liberty or Parkville for you. Lee's Summit has rather high taxes. If your children are not gifted, Lee's Summit might not be a very good match.

Example of bills in Lee's Summit:

House value $187,900
Taxes $ 3,600
Monthly water $ 100
Electric $ 125
Trash $ 16

Property taxes on cars per year:

2001 pick up and 2004 Jeep Liberty $700

Most of the homes are in subdivisions and the HOA can be a pain. It depends on who runs them. Our HOA divided our subdivision up into regions and selected folks to keep each region in line. They hired an attorney to write up bylaws without any input from the homeowners and against the existing rules and regulations that stated they needed to wait 20 years or have a 90% vote in favor of the new bylaws. Their new bylaws stated that if the HOA didn't like a tree or plant in your yard they could make you remove it. They also stated that they could come onto your property without your permission and you couldn't have them arrested for trespassing.

As for me, I'm moving to the Ozarks where I purchased 10 acres of land in an unrestricted zone. I'd rather live by mobile homes. They are friendlier folks.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:15 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,358 times
Wow old thread, but I will state I chose the Parkville area and man I am glad I did. I can't believe someone recommended Liberty over the I-29 Northland area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City