Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 08:26 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,517,753 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about this school district? I was looking at some houses and saw this listed. I have never heard of it. Is it one to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 09:20 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,157,019 times
You could do definitely better.I think this district pretty much covers the Ruskin area of south Kansas City. I wouldn't want my child going there. Some gang activity in the area. Ruskin houses sell for mid 30's and rent at about $600 per month. Similar house just west of Blue Ridge Rd sell for almost double.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:56 PM

75 posts, read 351,558 times
You may be aware of some of these sites already. But here’s the latest update on all the places to go to for information to look at when considering buying a home in any area. Good luck!

Schools
The US Department of Education has a very useful national database of school demographic information, called the National Center for Education Statistics:
National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) Home Page, a part of the U.S. Department of Education
Click on the “School, College and Library Search” tab for a school’s student/teacher ratio and enrollment by race and ethnicity. Two more sites to compare schools for academic performance are Great Schools and Standard & Poor's School Matters:
GreatSchools.net
Schools, High School, Public Schools, School District, Public High Schools - SchoolMatters
Many districts and state education departments also post useful online information.

Crime
Of prime interest to families is the National Sex Offenders Registry, found at
National Sex Offender Registry
You can enter a street address and generate a map that plots where sex offenders live. Information often includes a photo. The maps give buyers a comparison of the density of sex offenders in the neighborhood. Family Watchdog is also developing another tool to track other crimes. Some towns already have such sites, such as
chicagocrime.org: Chicago crime database
for the city of Chicago . If clients are concerned about crime in a particular area, encourage them to talk to the police department and/or department of public safety. Many cities and towns also offer this info on the web.

Environmental Concerns
If buyers have environmental questions about an area they’re looking in, send them to the US Environmental Protection Agency’s website:
Where You Live: Search Your Community
It has a tool for accessing an area by ZIP code for environmental facts such as pollution statistics, proximity to hazardous waste sites, and information about the local watershed. If they’d like to look at a pollution report card by county, including air and water quality, send them to:
Scorecard Home

Demographics
There is just no way a realtor can directly provide information about the racial or ethnic makeup of a neighborhood. Fair housing laws firmly forbid it. Fortunately most clients completely understand it when you have to turn down such questions. But there’s nothing wrong with directing your buyers to the Quick Facts page on the US Census Bureau’s website:
State and County QuickFacts
Here your clients can find statistics about an area’s demographics, broken down by city and country, as well as general socioeconomic data.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:30 AM

356 posts, read 1,176,121 times
The Hickman Mills School District has two high schools, Hickman Mills and Ruskin. I would avoid the District altogether...for school and/or housing.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:40 AM

6 posts, read 33,689 times
avoid this area if all possible

Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 PM

14 posts, read 81,641 times
I would avoid!

Old 10-24-2008, 05:39 PM

4 posts, read 20,000 times
No, no, no. Embrace the area.

Not only have they revived a failed 1958 memorial to the Twight Lite Twister, a total waste of donated monies and trees.

Not to be out done, Riech Marshall Bettyanne Mims has coordinated with Mayor Funk and John [Not So] Sharp to blow OVER A QUARTER OF A MILLIONS DOLLARS in a 'feel good' [for whom, the speeding traffic on Blue Ridge Extension ???] artsy fartsy ART FENCE when a completely serviceble structure is already there.

My memories of Ruskin/ Hickman's Mills includes a popular math teacher being fired for giving the daughter of a board member a D. Me being spanked for defending myself. One track coach throwing a [student] desk through a glass door. Another throtteling an athlete. [Verlyn J. Schmidt left for Kansas and was later fired for assualting a student!]

and the local weekly? The non responsive [URL="http://www.jcadvocate.com"]www.jcadvocate.com[/URL]

and no one cares......

[EMAIL="donlake@localnet.com"]donlake@localnet.com[/EMAIL]

Well what do you expect from a community [and High School] whose REAL NAME is Hickman's Mill?

My siblings and I BEGGED my parents to move after the 1957 and 1958 F5 funnel clouds! Days, literally days, after my schooling was done, I found the hole in the Heart Land fence, squeezed through and ran fast and far!

The unofficial motto of School District One: we have met the enemy and it is us!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:43 AM

12 posts, read 48,291 times
You should for sure avoid this area. I lived live for 12 months and I heard gun shots more than once. It is getting pretty bad over there. My husbands car was also stolen from right around the corner of Hickan Hills School. The area is not growing it is suffering and going down hill.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,517,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by care bear 84 View Post
You should for sure avoid this area. I lived live for 12 months and I heard gun shots more than once. It is getting pretty bad over there. My husbands car was also stolen from right around the corner of Hickan Hills School. The area is not growing it is suffering and going down hill.
This was like a year ago I posted this haha. Have since moved into the Park Hill school district. THanks.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 PM

543 posts, read 2,299,725 times
I'd check into an area north and east of where you are looking into the Raytown School District. It is better than Hickman Mills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: