Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:45 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times

Advertisements

Now I'm hungry for 54th St!! I checked their website and forgot how huge the menu is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 04:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
54th Street is pretty decent.
I can't say that the Ted's thing surprises me. I ate there a handful of times, and enjoyed it, but couldn't help but notice that SO and I were nearly alone in the restaurant, during prime dinner time, each time.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:08 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,676 times
I care. I hate to see any business shut down. Well, maybe not Ray's Play Pen or something like that, but all these retail buildings standing empty is not good.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:01 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
54th Street is a good place. It blows away places like TGIF and Applebees. It just seems like the food and service is better. They started in Gladstone I think and have since expanded across the MO side suburbs. I didn’t know they were on the KS side. I have relatives in StL that got all excited when they went there. They tend to be very busy and have 1-2 hour waits on weekends.

54th would be a fantastic replacement for Teds Downtown. It's more affordable and family friendly and casual, all much needed downtown. It also widely recognized, familiar and popular in the area (at least with MO side residents.)
Thanks! This is really good news for us. There are so few decent places in south Johnson County. I guess I just assumed if a place was anywhere near the Great Mall, it must me mediocre at best. This is a real No Man's Land for retail.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:32 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Thanks! This is really good news for us. There are so few decent places in south Johnson County. I guess I just assumed if a place was anywhere near the Great Mall, it must me mediocre at best. This is a real No Man's Land for retail.
The Mall sucks, but we would always drive clear out to the Toys R Us out there and the Target on the other side of 35 during the holidays.

The other Toys R Us stores in metro KC are smaller and always crowded and out of stuff, that one in olathe is larger, and never has anybody there and always has things in stock.

The Target also never had anybody there and we found things there that all the other Targets were sold out of.

The mall is just dumb. Why it's not like the Mills Mall here near Baltimore or the Mills Mall in St Lous is beyond me. The "Great" Mall is a carbon copy of those malls, only those malls are successful with destination tenants.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:25 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
54th Street is pretty decent.
I can't say that the Ted's thing surprises me. I ate there a handful of times, and enjoyed it, but couldn't help but notice that SO and I were nearly alone in the restaurant, during prime dinner time, each time.
I was only there twice, the Overland Park location, and both times it was packed. One of the times was Father's Day, though. The other was a random Sunday.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:49 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I've never been there, my experiences were solely at the one in the P&L District. Each time was when there was stuff going on at the Sprint Center or KC Live Block, so it seemed especially odd that you could've fired a cannon through it without injuring anybody. Guess event-goers preferred the other dining options in the area.

Truth be known, we only ever ended up there, b/c my SO has a thing for bison meat.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:11 PM

Noteworthy | O’Charley’s shuts down its two KC area locations - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/13/2517917/noteworthy-ocharleys-shuts-down.html - broken link)

O’Charley’s pulls out of KC, it's only two stores, but still. More proof that KC was just over built I guess.

Another vacant building in the Independence Center area. I can't help but wonder if all the new places opening in Blue Springs and Lee's Summit are going to continue to hammer the Indep Mall area.

I see Olive Garden built a huge new restaurant on Adams Dairy Parkway and down by that new Lee's Summit shopping center. That may end up shutting down the Carrabbas near the Indep Mall too.

I just hate to see this. Hopefully the arena and bass pro and all the new hotels keep the area strong. I was at the mall last week and it was busy as ever, but that can change very fast.

The new developments in Blue Springs and Lee's Summit are heavily subsidized with tax incentives. They would not have been built otherwise because the market is not large enough for them. They were forced into a saturated market and they will come at the expense of other areas of the metro.

Blue Springs and Lee’s Summit will end up doing more harm than good to their cities by subsidizing development at the expense of Indep Center.

All of Eastern Jackson County’s image is effected by that area of Indep, just like much of South KC’s image was tied to Bannister Mall.

Last edited by kcmo; 12-13-2010 at 10:20 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 08:35 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
Independence is building a cheddars by bass pro and a golden corral by the events center but that strip mall by Hilton Garden inn is almost all empty, plus macorini grill and now o charleys.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Independence is building a cheddars by bass pro and a golden corral by the events center but that strip mall by Hilton Garden inn is almost all empty, plus macorini grill and now o charleys.
They keep building more instead of reusing what they have.

TGI closed there, there are several vacant restaurants along 39th now over near Target and JC Pennys. That mall you are talking about is terrible.

All those empty boxes. The Comp USA by the arena is still vancant and they build a new box for hobby lobby by bass pro?

Why??? Why not put that hobby lobby in any of those empty boxes that are only a few years old???

Cause the bass pro site is a super tif project.

So once again incentives to build new are not only killing places like Noland, they are killing new shopping centers too.

Then you have subsidized places in BS and LS doing the same to Indep. Staples could have opened in an empty box by the mall rather than new box on adams dairy for example.

Crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City