Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:19 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times

Advertisements

German engineering firm opens Kansas City subsidiary, plans to hire 50 people within three years | Dollars & Sense

Included in the incentive package used to bring Beumer to Kansas City, the state of Missouri is providing $1.5 million in tax credits over the next five years under the Quality Jobs Tax Credits program, and the city is providing a 50 percent property tax abatement for up to 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 12:25 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,623 times
It looks like to me its incentives, but its not KCMO or the state of Missouri bribing a business from 3 miles away in Kansas to move to Missouri.. So its not similar in those regards.

On a similar rant, I would like to know when did it become common practice for local states, counties, cities, etc.. to HAVE to offer incentives and tax money for businesses to move in.. If you really think about it, the entire process is corrupt.. We are paying our own tax dollars so a company can move out of somewhere else (hurting that area) and so it can come to our area and pay less or NO taxes... What on earth are we doing??

Old 11-19-2010, 12:27 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Exactly right. That is what incentives are for. Bringing in "new" jobs to the local economy. MO can't or won't use those same incentives to keep jobs from going to KS because then everybody will want the same treatment. I'm quite surprised that businesses in KS paying full taxes are not getting fed up with all the handouts for companies within the metro to move. Maybe few companies in KS pay full taxes .

So in 3 years once they have matured and hired over 50 employees, they will be lured over by Kansas with their "new jobs" incentives and KCMO's and MO's investments will be a waste.

Don't laugh, it's happened before.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:32 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
the entire process is corrupt..
Bingo. Winner!

Old 11-19-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Exactly right. That is what incentives are for. Bringing in "new" jobs to the local economy. MO can't or won't use those same incentives to keep jobs from going to KS because then everybody will want the same treatment. I'm quite surprised that businesses in KS paying full taxes are not getting fed up with all the handouts for companies within the metro to move. Maybe few companies in KS pay full taxes .

So in 3 years once they have matured and hired over 50 employees, they will be lured over by Kansas with their "new jobs" incentives and KCMO's and MO's investments will be a waste.

And to add to this, its the job of the people in charge of the company to do this.. They are going to do it if it makes sense to their bottom line.. They are just using the current system thats in place that allows this.

But just think about this, a company relocates to an area for incentives for 5 years, with help by tax breaks, then goes to another area after that 5 years is up with paying even less taxes.. And we are supposed to grow our tax revenues with companies moving in how???? I'm not blaming the companies so much as I'm blaming the system, and we can influence the system by voting in who we do

Old 11-19-2010, 01:09 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times
If I was a small business owner in either state I would refuse to pay taxes, simple as that, and I would make a public stink about it. If these companies get tax breaks then why can't the small business owner barley getting.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:53 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Only if they are silly enough to offer the incentives without some kind of longer term agreement.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:42 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,048 times
Quote:
It looks like to me its incentives, but its not KCMO or the state of Missouri bribing a business from 3 miles away in Kansas to move to Missouri.. So its not similar in those regards.

On a similar rant, I would like to know when did it become common practice for local states, counties, cities, etc.. to HAVE to offer incentives and tax money for businesses to move in.. If you really think about it, the entire process is corrupt.. We are paying our own tax dollars so a company can move out of somewhere else (hurting that area) and so it can come to our area and pay less or NO taxes... What on earth are we doing??
I've blasted you in another thread, and here I am, giving you a positive rep in this one.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
I've blasted you in another thread, and here I am, giving you a positive rep in this one.
We probably arent as different as we like to think we are on things.. Honestly even if we are, we all want to be better off.. we just disagree on how its done.. Samantha just annoys me because she offers nothing to the conversation and finally got on my nerves.. If what I said on the other thread offends someone, (besides her) I apologize.. I think the reason its not being reported is because she stirs it all up and even the moderators know this.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:48 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,629 times
Quote:
We probably arent as different as we like to think we are on things.. Honestly even if we are, we all want to be better off.. we just disagree on how its done.. Samantha just annoys me because she offers nothing to the conversation and finally got on my nerves.. If what I said on the other thread offends someone, (besides her) I apologize.. I think the reason its not being reported is because she stirs it all up and even the moderators know this.
I offer perspective. Ignore it if you wish, it doesn't matter to me. I make my points with sarcasm sometimes, but I do stick to the issues.

I haven't seen a constructive post from you yet. They have all been whiny and complaining and negative, and when that didn't work for you, you lashed out personally. I'm sure it won't be the last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: