Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 AM

8 posts, read 91,494 times

Advertisements

Once again, a year later to be exact, we are contemplating a possible move from CA to KS/MO. I've done some research regarding KS, but just starting with MO. My husband has a potential promotion waiting for him in Lenexa, KS. Once we find out for sure whether we'll be relocating, we plan on making a trip out there and deciding on KS or MO.

We were looking at Lee's Summit, MO as a very possible contender. Any areas that are better than others? Every city has areas with reputations so any input would be helpful. Overall though, it seems it is a good place. We have 2 girls, one still in middle school and the other going into high school next year, so schools are important to us. Just based on stats, it looks like Lee's Summit would be first choice-they won as one of America's best high school in 2009, and second Lee's Summit North. A good academic and sports programs are paramount.

I don't really want to put my kids in a snobby school, but I don't want them in the poor school either. Can you make suggestions and give me some pros and cons. What are the ideas, suggestions and advice you have???

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 06:19 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
If you are looking in Lee's Summit and going to work in Lenexa I strongly suggest you drive your commuting route DURING RUSH HOUR for a few days before you make a final decision. You probably will change your mind.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:56 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Yea, Lenexa is a nice area. If you will be working there, I would just live in the area unless you find you really like Lee's Summit. Traffic is relative though, depending on what you are used to in CA, even the LS to Lenexa commute is not too bad, half hour most days.

As far as LS high schools, I have never heard anything bad about any of them. North and West are newer, but the city is constantly upgrading the older schools too.

FYI, the northern parts of LS will go to Blue Springs South High, another good school.

I don't know about how the different high schools in KS compare sports wise, but Lee's Summit and Blue Springs are two the top powerhouse districts in the state of MO always competing with the top high schools in metro St Louis for state titles.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM

476 posts, read 1,316,487 times
I'll vouch for Lenexa. We nearly bought a place in Colony Woods. Loved the neighborhood - nice neighborhood parks, lovely well-kept up older homes. Just too far away from my wife's work.

That's a big factor. You really don't want to spend ten hours of your week stuck in your car.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
My SO works in Olathe and we live in Lee's Summit. The commute isn't terrible, but it also isn't something you'd necessarily choose if you didn't have some overwhelming reason to live in Lee's Summit specifically.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,981 times
I just read your message, and as a student at Lee's Summit North, i would just like to share that I love my school, the academics and sports are amazing, and the community around it is very nice, and clean. LSN is not a snobby school, but isn't poor either. The teacher are amazing, and i actually enjoy coming to school. There are many different types of groups and people, so I am sure your daughters would fit in just fine. From being in the jock/popular kind of group, unless you despise someone, most of everyone is nice to each other, and the school IS NOT the cliquey type. Everyone talks to everyone.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:01 PM

13 posts, read 33,743 times
Lee's Summit has three high schools with a fourth in planning stages. Lee's Summit, being the original and serving the city's poorest area demographically, has a drug problem. West seems to have a "snobby" reputation. North might be your best bet. If you are considering private education, you might consider Lee's Summit Community Christian-- a consortium of about 140 churches and over 40 denominations--it really is a "community" school. I think it has been renamed Summit Christian Academy. It is currently the largest private protestant school in the city and the test scores are far higher than Lee's Summit schools. That's really something considering that LS has some of the best schools in the state. The Christian school seems very diverse in both faculty and students and has a cross-section of families who send their kids there, from the local dentist to several KC Chiefs and Royals players. It also competes with public schools on the sports and other extracurricular activities level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City