Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Yep, I posted info about New Longview in Post #8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 04:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Another option that hasn't been mentioned is Parkville. Better schools than KCMO and a very short commute to downtown KCMO when compared to Lee's Summit. Cute historic district with shops, etc.... . While not urban in atmosephere itself you can get to the urban center much more quickly.

Park Hill School District

//www.city-data.com/city/Parkville-Missouri.html

Old 01-23-2011, 06:56 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago mama View Post
Or am I best to look at Lee's Summit or Liberty and accept living in the 'burbs???
If you end up looking into suburban living, you should also look at Johnson County on the KS side. Lots of threads here about that.

Best of luck to you! And Welcome!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
If you end up looking into suburban living, you should also look at Johnson County on the KS side. Lots of threads here about that.

Best of luck to you! And Welcome!
Samantha, you know I love living in Johnson County, but believe me, moving from the Albany Park neighborhood (not a suburb, but a neighborhood) in Chicago to Joco, KS would be a huge culture shock! To the original poster, Johnson County would be more like Naperville, Schaumburg, Arlington Heights, and Palatine. That didn't sound like something you were looking for.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:57 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Albany Park is actually quite a bit like a higher density version of the 39th St. West area of KC. Walkable but with a touch more rust-belt grit than Brookside.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions and best of luck in whatever you choose!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Albany Park is actually quite a bit like a higher density version of the 39th St. West area of KC. Walkable but with a touch more rust-belt grit than Brookside.
Agreed...very similar in feel.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:33 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Samantha, you know I love living in Johnson County, but believe me, moving from the Albany Park neighborhood (not a suburb, but a neighborhood) in Chicago to Joco, KS would be a huge culture shock! To the original poster, Johnson County would be more like Naperville, Schaumburg, Arlington Heights, and Palatine. That didn't sound like something you were looking for.
I agree! The OP didn't sound too excited about the burbs. But that is where most families end up in the KC area, mainly because the schools are better. And so it was just a suggestion if they start looking at that route. If you head for the burbs, might as well look at all the options!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:29 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
^That is true, but the schools are a heckuva lot better in Chicago's suburbs than the city proper too, so they've made the decision to stay in the city before.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, really, I just want the OP to be happy. Hopefully given the lower cost of living, they'll have the bucks to look into all the available options, including private schools.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:01 AM

216 posts, read 622,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Don't forget that Lee's Summit has the largest new urbanism project in the metro (longview farms) and some smaller ones like Arbor Walk. Longview Farms is nice if you want suburban and new, but more walkable. Plus it's near a large recreational lake and the community college.

But Brookside is KC's gem. It just doesn't get much better than Brookside when it comes to family living in a more urban environment. You just have to deal with the schools, but that is something many large cities have to deal with, even in nicer urban core neighborhoods.
We found that the Longview and Arbor Walk areas were a bit abandoned. They seemed like they had gotten started, then the bust came and things never really got rolling. Nice architechture, but the commercial areas haven't really populated and they seem a little "ghosty." Which is a shame, because they are great ideas and could be a real compromise. (Which we, like the OP, were looking for.)

I still am not sure if we just aren't finding the right areas in LS, but it seems there isn't a lot of housing available in the area that we like (Which would be the downtown.)
I totally agree that the downtown is a very nice area. But I've been unable to find a lot of housing with direct accessibility to it.
This was similar in Parkeville. The downtown is cute, but it was hard to see where you would live to be near it.

And I am also not trying to argue...just interested in what the perceptions of others might be.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
We found that the Longview and Arbor Walk areas were a bit abandoned. They seemed like they had gotten started, then the bust came and things never really got rolling. Nice architechture, but the commercial areas haven't really populated and they seem a little "ghosty." Which is a shame, because they are great ideas and could be a real compromise. (Which we, like the OP, were looking for.)

I still am not sure if we just aren't finding the right areas in LS, but it seems there isn't a lot of housing available in the area that we like (Which would be the downtown.)
I totally agree that the downtown is a very nice area. But I've been unable to find a lot of housing with direct accessibility to it.
This was similar in Parkeville. The downtown is cute, but it was hard to see where you would live to be near it.

And I am also not trying to argue...just interested in what the perceptions of others might be.
Oh, I agree. But for KC, I think Lee's Summit and a few other suburbs do offer an alternative to what is otherwise extremely bland typical midwestern sprawl.

Longview is actually doing pretty well. But it's still too small to really be a self sustained neighborhood.

I always look at Denver's Stapleton area as something KC should strive for. It's a very large master planned new urbanism community. But one thing that really sets it apart from what KC is trying to do is Stapleton is infill.

It would be like building a brand new and rather large neighborhood to replace the vast bannister mall area.

That is what KCMO should be doing rather than subsidizing soccer stadiums and big box retail. Large scale residential construction in infill locations.

Go to Google earth and use the timeline fuction to see how stapleton has devloped from an abandoned airport and industrial area into a full blown traditional neighborhood with schools, walkable retail etc. It's amazing.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-26-2011 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City