Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:33 PM

21 posts, read 42,212 times

Advertisements

The original poster commented: "What I'm looking to avoid is an area that is turning/will turn dangerous or unpleasant, like the Brookside Boulevard area..."

I gasped when I was perusing the KS forum for the first time and read this! I'm surprised no one addressed this misconception. I realize the original poster is interested in the Kansas side of the metro rather than Missouri, but I didn't want folks unfamiliar with KC reading this and getting a totally inaccurate perception. A search of the KCMO forum for "Brookside" will turn up post after enthusiastic post characterizing Brookside as one of the very BEST places to live in the metro: quality housing with character, great sense of community, and pleasantly walkable to a charming and practical array of shops that can accommodate virtually all daily needs. Over 25 years the value of my Brookside home has more than quadrupled. I don't think anyone needs to be concerned about the stability of Brookside!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 05:32 AM

62 posts, read 121,328 times
PV is indeed nice. Live there now in Corinth Hills. While not a factor for retirement, don't forget that Mission Valley Middle School (Meadowbrook, when I went there) is closing. The effect on the immediate surrounding neighborhoods isn't known yet, and might not be for a few years. Certainly areas of PV compete favorably with Mission and Roeland Park as far as the price points on homes are concerned, but not in all areas of PV, which I believe is larger than either of the other communities. And while I can't be sure about zoning restrictions for greenhouses, i AM sure PV has stricter provisions.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:45 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodUserNamesAreTaken View Post
Brookside Boulevard area = overun by the trailer park/ghetto/barrio...

Old 02-23-2011, 11:23 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
I have pretty much decided on Kansas over Missouri. I grew up in Roeland Park in the sixties, so I know the housing stock and general neighborhood layout. I also will have ample income to afford the higher taxes in Kansas. What I'm looking to avoid is an area that is turning/will turn dangerous or unpleasant, like the Brookside Boulevard area or Northeast. Both were stable, middle class areas in the late sixties and early seventies, but the trailer park/ghetto/barrio seems to have washed over them.

The Mission/Roeland Park/Fairway area is close to shopping and cultural attractions, with ample size lots and lots of mature trees. After living in both the center of major cities (New York and Boston) and in the suburbs of others (Washington and Philadelphia) I am ready for something in the medium distance that is neither a substantial commute away from or in the direct center of the action.
Fairway is better than Mission or Roeland Park, but none are what they were in the 60s. I think you would be better off looking at Westwood or Prairie Village. Both are still close in (15 minutes to the Plaza). I think Prairie Village might have an ordinance against something like a greenhouse; not sure about Westwood. You could call and ask, though!

Westwood, Kansas*

City of Prairie Village : Home

Old 02-25-2011, 05:35 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Westwood is an enclave, but one in which I lived in for a time while growing up in KC. PV gets the nod from yours truly as it has lots of actively involved citizens, tree city USA, smaller village-scale shopping instead of the MASSIVE big box eyesores of south JOCO, and SME High School up the road. Those factors along with ultra easy access to KC, MO are major reasons why RE is more desirable compared to Olathe...

Old 02-25-2011, 06:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
I appreciate all the good ideas and observations sent my way. I was not aware that the Mission Shopping Center was an empty field now. That was such a bustling area when I was last living in KC.

It seems that a lot of the areas I mentioned are in transition. I'll keep an eye on them over the next few years. Meanwhile, I'll broaden my search to include more of Prairie Village which seems more stable.
With all do repect, at your pricepoint and with your requirements, you are unrealistic at best and need to brush up on your understanding of the area real estate values.

If you really believe that Brookside is "barrio and trailer trash" (furthest from the truth) then I can guarantee you won't like Mission. Good luck finding an updated PV home in the $150K range that is not on a slab and next to Hy-vee or on State Line.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:04 AM

11 posts, read 28,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
With all do repect, at your pricepoint and with your requirements, you are unrealistic at best and need to brush up on your understanding of the area real estate values.

If you really believe that Brookside is "barrio and trailer trash" (furthest from the truth) then I can guarantee you won't like Mission. Good luck finding an updated PV home in the $150K range that is not on a slab and next to Hy-vee or on State Line.

My apologies . I meant to say Rockhill Road instead of Brookside Boulevard.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 PM

226 posts, read 267,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
What is it with you? He specifically asked for info on Mission/Roeland Park/Fairway so he must know the area where he wants to be. Why the big pitch for MO.? I doubt he needed a lecture on the entire metro area.
Actually I was born in Kansas and grew up there. Unfortunately 20 yrs ago I bought a house in Kansas City Missouri - the house was more affordable but after the housing collapse I owe 3 times what I could sell it for.

I am leaving - going to put the keys in the mailbox. Missouri government is horrible. the legislature is corrupt and it is common practice for the legislature to overturn citizen initiatives like a bill to rescue dogs from puppy mills run by amoral owners who are neglectful and abusive. Worked for years to pass the law and it did indeed pass and the very next day the legislature took up the issue and said they were going to overrule it because some of the puppy mill owners who were their constituents squawked too loud about losing their livelihood. And the POS Governor Nixon did not veto this action which essentially deprives us of our right to have our vote count.

I can't get out of here fast enough. The crime rate in Kansas City MO is in the top 10 of the nation.

Kansas is cleaning up its act, or attempting to, now that Dr. George Mengele Tiller is no longer the happy late-term abortion provider he was but they are having to work around Kathleen Sebelius former governor of Kansas who had a deal with Tiller her protection for his campaign contributions. The fact she's in DC now hasn't caused her to keep her bloodthirsty nose out of Kansas. She sold herself out for blood money, any investigations/grand juries into abortion she "took care" of them. She's a disgrace but I'm not surprised Obama brought her to DC she's just the kind of immoral person he and his associates are including the Man Boy Love Association which helps child molestors find their next victim.

As far as Kansas goes, I lived and worked in Roeland Park and it is my recommendation. Fairway and Mission are too snobby for me. Roeland Park is the least likely to impose harsh rules that say your front side-walk must be exactly 35 inches wide or some other silly rule. It has managed to maintain a semblance of what Kansas hometown used to be. If you like having to dress in a tux to go out and pickup your Sunday copy of the worthless liberal rag kansas City Star you'd like Leawood, Fairway, Mission and so forth. Everybody has their thing. You're right to check it out because you of course want to choose the place most comfortable FOR YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City