Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 05:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Also, not everyone has the option of not making it in to work, and keeping their jobs.

My household is fortunate in that my partner can telecommute basically whenever he wants, and my employer, a school, is practically guaranteed to close even when the weather is totally driveable for me. Not everyone has the option of taking a snow day, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 06:49 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
It's crap weather because there are more accidents. Schools close. Parents have to pay for childcare so they can go to work. Cities are paying $150K per inch of snow removed, according to local news reports. Their snow removal budgets are all but gone, and that will mean reduced city services, possible layoffs or increased property taxes. It's crap weather because people can't get out of their driveways in emergencies and because some need to get snow off their roofs to prevent cave-ins or ice damming damage inside the home. And this morning, it was crap weather for me when I had to shovel a 75-ft path through snowdrifts to get to a clearing in the snow -- just so the dogs could "get ready for work".

I lived most of my life in Chicago, and believe me, the romantic notions about winter weather went out the window as soon as I began to drive.
Here we go again. Think I don't know about driving in snow? I learned to drive in 1967 in Rochester, New York. Back then and there, we didn't have Kansas City snow or Chicago (I've lived there, too) snow....we had serious snow and could count on lake effect storm after storm after storm each winter.

I remember the anticipation and excitement of wondering what opening the living room curtains would reveal in the morning. On many occasions I was greeted by a solid white wall - drifts that literally touched the eves of the house. Not unusual in the slightest then and there. And it was absolutely wonderful.

No, trust me, I've heard your tale of woe repeated like a broken record by John Q and Jane Q Public a zillion times. And you know what else? I heard a lot more of it for the 11 years I lived in the KC area than I ever did in upstate New York - in snow country's big leagues. People by the millions who freak and young people emulating the most crotchety of senior citizens just because it snowed and they may have to break from their normal, boring routine for a day or two.

It is a fascinating study in irrational human behavior. All the panic and the hysteria in response to one of nature's most beautiful gifts. When you live in snow country, you plan for it. And no one expects you to get to work when roads are closed. So you relax....and you enjoy. It's so simple.

I truly feel sorry for those incapable of taking advantage of the opportunity it gives for peaceful reflection and smelling life's coffee.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:53 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Here we go again. Think I don't know about driving in snow? I learned to drive in 1967 in Rochester, New York. Back then and there, we didn't have Kansas City snow or Chicago (I've lived there, too) snow....we had serious snow and could count on lake effect storm after storm after storm each winter.

I remember the anticipation and excitement of wondering what opening the living room curtains would reveal in the morning. On many occasions I was greeted by a solid white wall - drifts that literally touched the eves of the house. Not unusual in the slightest then and there. And it was absolutely wonderful.

No, trust me, I've heard your tale of woe repeated like a broken record by John Q and Jane Q Public a zillion times. And you know what else? I heard a lot more of it for the 11 years I lived in the KC area than I ever did in upstate New York - in snow country's big leagues. People by the millions who freak and young people emulating the most crotchety of senior citizens just because it snowed and they may have to break from their normal, boring routine for a day or two.

It is a fascinating study in irrational human behavior. All the panic and the hysteria in response to one of nature's most beautiful gifts. When you live in snow country, you plan for it. And no one expects you to get to work when roads are closed. So you relax....and you enjoy. It's so simple.

I truly feel sorry for those incapable of taking advantage of the opportunity it gives for peaceful reflection and smelling life's coffee.
It always cracks me up too when grocery stores are packed to the gills the day before a snowstorm is going to hit. They act like it's a hurricane and we will be without food or water for weeks.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:58 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
It always cracks me up too when grocery stores are packed to the gills the day before a snowstorm is going to hit. They act like it's a hurricane and we will be without food or water for weeks.
I know....and I always got a good chuckle out of it, too.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
There is nothing good about this weather. What is there to enjoy? It's frozen water in masses that causes slick roads, branches to snap and crash through cars and homes, causes power outages, and cause death.
The worst thing about this weather is that it gives those without a positive thing to say yet another reason to whine and moan.

If branches are snapping and busting through homes and cars then it is because the homeowner didn't keep the tree properly pruned, most of the time.

Were there reports of power outages in KC? I had not heard of any. I also had not heard of any weather related deaths here in town specifically. Though, I did read where a girl had a sledding accident and was paralized. Do I blame the snow for her paralysis? No.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:11 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Oh, here we go, another New England person talking about "real snow storms."

Guess what? We didnt live there and dont get these storms often. Being able to drive well in snow takes experience. A 16 year old that has never driven in snow isnt going to be good at it and neither are people that only drive in it a couple of times of year most of the time.

Just because you had an experience just mean the rest of the world has had the same experiences.

I am sure there are plenty of things you cant do well because you have never had ample practice.

Are you really that dense?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,120 times
Not sure if this is true or not, but there are pretty dumb people

The system was blamed for at least 10 deaths, including a homeless man who burned to death on Long Island as he tried to light cans of cooking fuel and a woman in Oklahoma City who was killed while being pulled behind a truck on a sled that hit a guard rail.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Trust me. People in the NE (at least in the DC/Balt area) can't drive in the snow any better than people in KC. Actually, I think they are MUCH worse. That's why an inch of snow can add several hours to a 45 minute commute.

They close schools and delay or telecommute gov employees and the hint of the most minor winter weather.

My kids have stayed home many days this year during snow events that KC School districts would not have bat a eye at.

While I can't stand how slow and oblivious people in KC drive when it's 70 degress ands sunny. They drive better there than here in the snow and they can't drive in the snow all that well either.

Having said that, I love snow, love to drive in it and totally enjoy it have fun with it. I have never had a single problem getting around in the snow. Last year we were blasted with 70" of snow in two weeks and it was awesome. I do eventially want it to go away though and change seasons.

Last edited by kcmo; 02-03-2011 at 11:10 AM..

Old 02-03-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Of course you hear more of a reaction, when you live somewhere where consistent, heavy snowfall isn't business as usual. I've lived in heavy snowfall latitudes, too. I understand that, while people in my former home in Minnesota may not bat an eye at this degree of winter weather, people here do, because it's not nearly as common. You get desensitized to the inconveniences, the potential dangers, the way it hampers meeting one's obligations, etc., when it's a common thing. When it happens infrequently, you don't.

It's also quite stressful when your work DOESN'T close, people DO expect you to get there, and you don't have the luxury of relaxing and taking the time to enjoy your contemplative, zen moment with your coffee, because the world around you hasn't, in fact, stopped. Like I said, I'm fortunate to not have that pressure (although the prospect of three days sans pay, which is what I'm looking at and counting, isn't promoting the most restful and calm of feelings). But many do.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post

I get it - planning ahead isn't particularly alarmist, it can just be for personal convenience. I stocked up Monday afternoon, so I didn't have to go out again all week. It's really helped my "peaceful contemplation" to not have to work in another trip to the store. My car hasn't moved since Monday at 2 p.m. and I'm fine with that. It wasn't out of fear of starvation, it was about the convenience of not having to leave my cozy house. I have left my house for exactly two reasons since Monday, and on foot every time... 1. to let the dog get some exercise and relieve himself and 2. To go find my boyfriend, who felt the need to attempt to drive around in his 4WD on Tuesday night, and got stuck. Going out in the snow is a PITA, IMO. I'm all for minimizing it when I know I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City