Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 07:26 PM

20 posts, read 56,406 times

Advertisements

So I have lived in KC some time, but I know absolutely nothing about the Northland. Are there any quaint little neighborhoods that are walkable like Brookside? Or is it pretty much like Johnson County? I'm looking for neighborhoods that have to be within the city limits of Kansas City and are between $175k and $300k, but not in the KCMO School District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
None of Kansas City, MO north of the river is within the KCMO school district. I can't think of any neighborhoods that would meet your requirement and be within the city limits. City of North Kansas City and Liberty come to mind, but you'll have to get rid of that City job first.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:43 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times
Just buy a rental for 300 bucks in kansas, use that address and send your kid there.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:37 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSportsMachine View Post
So I have lived in KC some time, but I know absolutely nothing about the Northland. Are there any quaint little neighborhoods that are walkable like Brookside? Or is it pretty much like Johnson County? I'm looking for neighborhoods that have to be within the city limits of Kansas City and are between $175k and $300k, but not in the KCMO School District.

First, there are not schools in the Northland in the KCMO School District. It is all NKC, Park Hill, Liberty, Platte County, and Smithville.

Most neighborhoods north of like 50th street would meet that requirement and some even south of that. The closer you get to the river, the less quaint the neighborhoods are as they are older and more ran down. Before anyone jumps on me, I know they arent all like that.

The Northland is generally quiet and safe. I go for runs late at night without a worry and many times, we dont even lock our car doors and I even leave the house unlocked when I am only going to be gone for awhile and dont even worry about it.

If you are looking for houses in that range in KCMO, go up to Cookingham Dr and go from 435 N to I-35 and you will find a couple of dozen neighborhoods that meet all of your requirements with the houses being less than 10 years old. Most of KCMOs firefighters and police live up there for that reason.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM

82 posts, read 174,521 times
Around I-29 and Barry Road, the neighborhoods aren't quaint. Some, though, are quite walkable. I'm a couple of blocks away from a supermarket, my bank, and several restaurants. When the weather's nice, people are out in the evenings to walk their dogs or get some exercise.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:02 AM

20 posts, read 56,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeb View Post
Around I-29 and Barry Road, the neighborhoods aren't quaint. Some, though, are quite walkable. I'm a couple of blocks away from a supermarket, my bank, and several restaurants. When the weather's nice, people are out in the evenings to walk their dogs or get some exercise.
Thanks. Just started looking around and yea, no real quaint houses - they all seem to be about 5-10 years old housing stock. But if its at least walkable, that may be doable for now until we can afford Brookside or private school.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:37 PM

216 posts, read 623,518 times
To the OP, I am not trying to tell you where to live, but since you mention Brookside and private school, you might want to investigate this.
It was put up on another thread here, and I have looked into it....seems like it might actually be a go.
Hale Cook Elementary School | Movement to Open as a Neighborhood School within KCMSD
The superintendent is going to be speaking to interested families this weekend and there is quite a big effort going on to create a high standards elem. in the Brookside/Waldo area.

With prices favorable right now, and the possibility of sending kids to public school, maybe you could make it work in the neighborhood you prefer.

Just a thought. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City