Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:31 AM

163 posts, read 296,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Willamson County, TN
Forsyth County, GA
Fort Bend County, TX
Willamson County, TX
Shelby County, AL
Oldham County, KY
Loudon County, VA
Chesterfield County, VA

ALL are corporate, well educated, high income counties- suburban.
Would also include Madison County, AL (Huntsville area)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 AM

31 posts, read 96,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Arizona- no areas
Texas- Collin County/ DFW- corporate suburb clone to JOCO.
I guess Collin County might be the closest but still a long way from what makes that "feel" in Johnson County.

We lived in Overland Park, Johnson County many years. Walked to the elementary school, walked to the high school for football games. No metal detectors anywhere. Churches and soccer fields and no traffic. Spouse had a residential 7 min commute to work.

We now live in Collin County on the east side. Collin County has much more racial and socio-economic diversity than JC has. All the kids are not college bound like in OP.

We now call Overland Park the "bubble". We loved it and would have gone back during our first year of adjustment to TX, but now realize that it is far from the real world. My son says he knew 2 black people in KS, and they were both half. He now has a greater appreciation for diversity and it is rare that I see an all white friend - complete melting pot here.

My first year in TX, I was amazed at how I rarely EVER met anyone that was in their first marriage. I don't mean this critically, it was just one observation that blew me away in my conservative self. Most of JC appears from the outside anyway to be the perfect, beautiful family with 2.5 perfect, beautiful children.

all the Ex's live if TX - definitely.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:43 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,962,626 times
For Arizona, I'd think Chandler and Gilbert. Scottsdale is kind of like JoCo but taken to the next level.

For Texas, I believe Plano and Frisco would be a good fit.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:25 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,156,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
For Arizona, I'd think Chandler and Gilbert. Scottsdale is kind of like JoCo but taken to the next level.

For Texas, I believe Plano and Frisco would be a good fit.
Thanks. I have never been to Frisco, but from what I have read I think you are right. And I also think you're right about Chandler/Gilbert. What do you mean by Scottsdale is JoCo taken to the next level?

Old 03-19-2011, 10:02 AM

26,399 posts, read 46,311,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Thanks. I have never been to Frisco, but from what I have read I think you are right. And I also think you're right about Chandler/Gilbert. What do you mean by Scottsdale is JoCo taken to the next level?
Scottsdale is even more pretentious, fake, and plastic. Also, it does not come close in educational attainment compared to JOCO. I think Collin County, (Plano, Frisco), fits everything you are looking for to a tee. Also, Collin County has a higher job growth rate and has a higher median household income than JOCO.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,743,041 times
One big thing about Johnson County compared to a lot of these other suburban counties with similar demographic is that JoCo is still very much stuck in the 1990's as far as look and feel.

Recent architecture styles, developments etc in the county looks about the same today as it did in 1990. (strip malls, glass office boxes, surface parking lots etc) while you will see far more mixed use and higher density development in many comparable counties.

Also, despite being in Kansas and having huge right of ways and setbacks, JoCo seems to have less usable green space per capita. The office parks have lots of grass and the roads have wide green strips along them, but it's not usable in a recreational way and while the off road bike trail system is good in JoCo, the county's on road bicycle infrastructure is practically non-existent and there is almost no transit for a large metropolitan county, again signs of being stuck in the past while other large metro suburbs have pushed forward with more transit oriented develoment, walkable communities, and green space that is utilized and convenient. You don't have to drive clear to Shawnee Mission Park to be near such recreation, it's more intertwined into the developed areas.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:47 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,653,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
One big thing about Johnson County compared to a lot of these other suburban counties with similar demographic is that JoCo is still very much stuck in the 1990's as far as look and feel.

Recent architecture styles, developments etc in the county looks about the same today as it did in 1990. (strip malls, glass office boxes, surface parking lots etc) while you will see far more mixed use and higher density development in many comparable counties.

Also, despite being in Kansas and having huge right of ways and setbacks, JoCo seems to have less usable green space per capita. The office parks have lots of grass and the roads have wide green strips along them, but it's not usable in a recreational way and while the off road bike trail system is good in JoCo, the county's on road bicycle infrastructure is practically non-existent and there is almost no transit for a large metropolitan county, again signs of being stuck in the past while other large metro suburbs have pushed forward with more transit oriented develoment, walkable communities, and green space that is utilized and convenient. You don't have to drive clear to Shawnee Mission Park to be near such recreation, it's more intertwined into the developed areas.
Every single thing you list as a "positive" feature found in other large metro suburbs is, in fact, a negative. And to the extent that Johnson county's life quality has been preserved at a level equal to decades past is what makes it almost incomparable - for people who love the summer heat, at least - compared to so many other areas.

The last thing JOCO needs or wants is "far more mixed use and higher density" or "transit oriented" development.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:24 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,743,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The last thing JOCO needs or wants is "far more mixed use and higher density" or "transit oriented" development.
Well, that's obvious, I was just pointing out the difference .

Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 PM

216 posts, read 618,980 times
I would go for a bit further north in Collin county, that is Allen or McKinney Texas. Allen is very like OP, with lots of brand new retail, some of it in lovely "downtown" like settings. This one, for example

Watters Creek ~ A Unique Retail Resort ~ Home

There is a terrific community center with one of the nicest indoor pool complexes I've ever seen

City of Allen :: Don Rodenbaugh Natatorium (http://www.cityofallen.org/departments/parks_recreation/recreation/don_rodenbaugh.htm - broken link)

McKinney, just up the road, is more of an old cotton trading town that has a really nice destination downtown, but also several planned communities with parks, pools and suburban amenities.

http://www.mckinneytexas.org/www/mainstreetdefault.aspx (broken link)

http://www.stonebridgeranch.com/

As for the folks there...they are wonderful. I didn't want to move to Texas, and I don't miss it. The landscape was not really my style and it wore on me after awhile. But the people? I miss them! I had the greatest church, best school community, and the most wonderful friends while I lived in McKinney Texas. Most of my friends were born and raised in Texas, natives through and through. There is a real culture there that is interesting if you dig down and get to know it a bit. Lots of the people are kind and warm and I made lots of wonderful connections.

BTW, although I don't think Dallas is the greatest city in many ways, it is a great city to have access to while living somewhere else. They have an amazing new opera house, symphony hall and a couple of the best art museums I have ever seen.... and I have seen my share. The Dallas Museum of Art has a cool Friday night program once a month, and it is a hopping destination on those nights. Family activities, romantic dinners, and a dance scene for the young singles, all within the grounds of the museum. A very fun thing to take in.

I definitely recommend you check out Allen or McKinney Texas. I think if you like OP, and you want a warmer clime, they might just fit the bill for you. A bit of a warning...that cold wind still blows pretty chilly in the winter...right down from OK. But it sure doesn't snow (or if it does it makes national news and is gone the next day) and the "Ice storms" are rare, and worth a chuckle to someone who has seen a real ice storm.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:42 PM

216 posts, read 618,980 times
all the Ex's live if TX - definitely.

I won't disagree with this statement at all, I found that to a certain extent as well. However, I live in Florida now and plenty of ex's live here too. I'm thinking that is a national trend, less than a TX. one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City