Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 05:50 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
Had a surprise this week! The 50+ Pharmacy on the square apparently closed. It was very abrupt. The sign on their building at 211 W Lexington thanked customers for the 48 years of it's existence, and stated they had merged with the CVS off 23rd and Crysler!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
48 years would seem to have them locating there in 1968.

Wonder where the 50+ name comes from?

I am trying to think what was there before '68. Seems to me it might have been another drug store or maybe a barber shop.
They should have held out another year. They could have served residents of the new town-homes being built on Truman.

That address was the former home of the M.S. White
Wholesale Candy & Tobacco Company before 1924 and through 1960, the latest year I can check from home. They later moved down on Main south of Kansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 10:25 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times
I watched a 2015 movie on Netflix called “Walt, Before Mickey.”

It covers his time in Kansas City, his time in California, and his being saved by Mickey Mouse.

Disney Studios had nothing to do with this movie but the basis was a book written by his daughter.

According to the movie, he was an utter failure in Kansas City with his Laugh-O-Gram Pictures, and started off that way in California. Oswald the Rabbit was Disney’s character but he lost it to another company.

He wrote bad checks to his employees, was evicted more than once from both home and studio rentals and had several creditors after him.

The movie apparently never saw a wide release. The acting in a few places is pretty bad.

The script writer was not consistent in that there were references to Walt Disney as working in Kansas City, then Kansas, then Kansas City, then Kansas again.

The movie was filmed in Florida so there is no local scenery.

Former Disney studios at 1127 E 31St Street, Kansas City.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:36 AM

237 posts, read 252,603 times
I figured they would have held out too. I didn't know they were having any problems with business really. Right across the street is a "minute clinic", which I figured would help them as well. I've heard there is a push for certain kinds of businesses on the square, but I am not certain right now what happened.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
I figured they would have held out too. I didn't know they were having any problems with business really. Right across the street is a "minute clinic", which I figured would help them as well. I've heard there is a push for certain kinds of businesses on the square, but I am not certain right now what happened.
The market is tough for an independent pharmacy. They must negotiate with the various insurance plans in order to have any chance at a customer base. Hopefully the space won't stay vacant long.

I didn't realize there was a clinic up there. I haven't been down that block lately.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:53 PM

I came up with a care facility at 212 W Lexington, the last shop before the alley. Now, I think that was once a shoe repair shop, chuckle.

Gary Skinner, D.O.
Express Medical Care is a locally physician owned and operated same day care facility. The owner, Dr. Skinner, is the primary physician. He has a wide range of medical experience in the fields of Emergency Medicine, Family Care and Resort Medicine. His past history includes service in the U.S. Navy as a Senior Medical Officer. Prior to opening his Medical Clinic, he was the Urgent Care Director, for the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Insurance Company for the Kansas City Metropolitan area.

This same doctor has served the community at the Walk-In Medical Clinic for over ten years and he is now at our new location on the historic Independence Square at Express Medical Care.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:54 PM

Where and what was this back in 1988?

Old 04-11-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

The sun is in my eyes and I cannot see, chuckle.

I will take a SWAG and say that was home to a heavy equipment operator, maybe B&G.

Another SWAG that it was on Truman Road and another SWAG that maybe it disappeared when either Truman was widened or Lee's Summit Road was punched through.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
The sun is in my eyes and I cannot see, chuckle.

I will take a SWAG and say that was home to a heavy equipment operator, maybe B&G.

Another SWAG that it was on Truman Road and another SWAG that maybe it disappeared when either Truman was widened or Lee's Summit Road was punched through.
Put on your sunglasses! You have swaggered over part of the correct answer.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 2,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

Would this be the place now-a-days?

Old 04-11-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom '58 View Post

Would this be the place now-a-days?
Indeededly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City