Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 03:44 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,746 times

Advertisements

Thirteen cities in Missouri have one or more sister cities.

Kansas City, 13
Springfield, 3
St Charles, 2
Columbia, 5
Grandview, 1
Independence, 1
Jefferson City, 1
Lee’s Summit, 1
Neosho, 1
Rolla, 1
St Charles, 1
St Louis, 12
Washington, 1

One thing I noted about Blantyre, Malawi was that back in 1966, a group in Independence headed by a local clergyman was trying to help get an ambulance for that sister city, but the group did not want to send money. The Reverend explained their plan to help the sister city get the ambulance but that plan was not included in the item I read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 02:34 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
In 1966, The Examiner showed Blantyre, Malawi, as a sister city of Independence. That city today has a population of 1,068,681.

Malawi is a land locked country located east of Zambia, west and north of Mozambique and south of Tanzania.

The only sister city listed today for Independence is Higashimurayama, Japan, with a population of 151,000. It is sited in relation to Tokyo as Independence is to Kansas City.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Perhaps Blantyre outgrew us! I don't recall reading any discussion when the change was made. I also recall a sister city in Australia, perhaps Wagga Wagga or one of the other double-named towns. It could be that the sister city is changed on a regular basis so that committee members can see another part of the world.
I'll need to reboot my fuzzy memory. Wagga Wagga is the Sister City of Leavenworth, KS. I knew I remembered seeing that fact on a street sign somewhere. I did spend a bit of time up there (outside the prisons!).

Here is the scoop on our Japanese Sister City...

INDEPENDENCE -- HIGASHIMURAYAMA
Sister Cities Since 1978
How it got started:
In 1974 Mr. Hajimei Ishizu, a Japanese business man, came to Independence to
establish contact with an Independence educator he had met in Japan. Unable to
locate his party he sought help from the city officials who introduced him to Mrs.
Lana White a well known native of Japan. During their search, Mrs. White gave
Mr. Ishizu a complete tour of the city which included many points of interest to
tourists (such as the President Truman home and Library Museum). Lana even
invited Ishizu to stay at their home. The business man was so impressed by both the
hospitality of the White family and the friendliness of Independence that when he
returned to his home in Higashimurayama, Japan, he began a correspondence. The
sister city relationship grew out of that friendship. In early January 1978 a
delegation arrived from Japan with a charter which the two mayors( Richard King
and Reiji Kumaki) signed on January 26, 1978, thereby establishing a wonderful
friendship association between our two cities dedicated to promotion of mutual
understanding, respect, and friendship through cultural, academic, economic and
other exchanges on a people-to-people basis.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:51 AM

From the Thanksgiving Day edition of The Examiner:

Independence is hoping to add around 800 future jobs, which would all be at the Lake City plant with a private company that hopes to relocate. There seem to be some significant ifs involved with this company achieving its operational goals.

A company that takes rounds that are rejected by the military and tears them apart and reloads them for civilian sale would relocate to Lake City. This initial effort is dependent on the US Army approving the operation and, undoubtedly, contractual terms for locating on their turf.

A follow up effort would involve the company asking the city of Independence for $35m in revenue bonds to accomplish a two-year renovation of a 300,000 square foot or so building at Lake City. Apparently, it will be next summer before the company approaches the city.

Lake City is 7.5 miles slightly northeast of Independence Square, as the crow flies. When I was a kid, it seemed like it was forever before we got to Lake City.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:

What is this monument and where is it located?

In the 150 years since June 1866, five Independence police officers have been killed by gunfire in the line of duty.

The creation of this monument at US 40 and Crysler was inspired by the killing of Lt David Kraxner in the line of duty in late 1966.

Kraxner stopped a car on US 40 at the location where the monument was later erected. The occupant, a prison escapee, began firing immediately and Kraxner returned fire. Both were wounded in the shootout. The escapee was able to walk to Lieutenant Kraxner's vehicle where he shot him at point blank range.

Prior to the traffic stop, the escaped convict had shot and wounded a prison guard in St. Louis and then killed a citizen and took his car.

After killing Kraxner, the murderer, Lawrence J. Merola, took Kraxner’s vehicle and then pulled up behind a house at 36th and Crysler. He waited there through the night listening to police radio traffic. When morning arrived, Merola drove past the crime scene where police recognized the car and gave chase. They found him hiding under a trailer home at 47th Street and Raytown road.

Merola pleaded guilty in court to avoid the death penalty. He was sentenced to life plus 39 years in the Bonne Terre, Mo, prison where he still resides. He was denied parole in 2012.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:27 PM

From the Examiner of 50 years ago:

"A direct result of the slaying two weeks ago of Police Lt. David Kraxner, the City Council will consider two measures for providing funds for heirs of employees killed in the line of duty. One is a city paid insurance policy, the other a continuance of pay to families of the deceased."

Old 11-28-2016, 07:58 PM

From 50 years ago in the Examiner

Two ornery cattle rustlin’ suspects got headed off at the pass as they crossed trails with the fastest drawin’ booking sergeant in the West. Sgt. Duane Titus was off duty and heading home when the report came in over the police radio to be on the lookout for a truck with 17 head of white faced steers.
At 23rd and Noland, Titus got his game.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:18 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,760,558 times
Quote:
In the 150 years since June 1866, five Independence police officers have been killed by gunfire in the line of duty.

The creation of this monument at US 40 and Crysler was inspired by the killing of Lt David Kraxner in the line of duty in late 1966.

Kraxner stopped a car on US 40 at the location where the monument was later erected. The occupant, a prison escapee, began firing immediately and Kraxner returned fire. Both were wounded in the shootout. The escapee was able to walk to Lieutenant Kraxner's vehicle where he shot him at point blank range.

Prior to the traffic stop, the escaped convict had shot and wounded a prison guard in St. Louis and then killed a citizen and took his car.

After killing Kraxner, the murderer, Lawrence J. Merola, took Kraxner’s vehicle and then pulled up behind a house at 36th and Crysler. He waited there through the night listening to police radio traffic. When morning arrived, Merola drove past the crime scene where police recognized the car and gave chase. They found him hiding under a trailer home at 47th Street and Raytown road.

Merola pleaded guilty in court to avoid the death penalty. He was sentenced to life plus 39 years in the Bonne Terre, Mo, prison where he still resides. He was denied parole in 2012.

I (faintly) remember this incident, moreso the name rather than the time or location (even though it was near the family home and an area frequently traveled).

"Late 1966" my math skills tell me we are upon or coming up the 50th anniversary. Wow, tempus fugit

Old 11-29-2016, 03:09 PM

Officers honored by the memorial at Crysler and Highway 40.

March 2001. Terry Foster, three weeks from retirement. Killed by gunfire investigating a domestic dispute. The shooter then set off an explosive device and blew himself up.

October 1966. David Kraxner

January 1922. George Barton Sr. Walking beat on Independence Square, shot at 3:30 am and died at the hospital. The shooter was subsequently shot and killed by the police chief.

January 1884. John Swearingen, Chief of Police. Shot with his own side arm as he was checking prisoners. His pistol was accidentally dropped to the floor and went off.

February 1877. Henry Hughes, Deputy (Chief of Police) Marshall. Shot and killed making an arrest of two individuals. Both individuals were sentenced to death and one was hanged. The other man’s sentence was reduced to ten years.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:22 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,760,558 times
Quote:
Officers honored by the memorial at Crysler and Highway 40.

March 2001. Terry Foster, three weeks from retirement. Killed by gunfire investigating a domestic dispute. The shooter then set off an explosive device and blew himself up.

October 1966. David Kraxner

January 1922. George Barton Sr. Walking beat on Independence Square, shot at 3:30 am and died at the hospital. The shooter was subsequently shot and killed by the police chief.

January 1884. John Swearingen, Chief of Police. Shot with his own side arm as he was checking prisoners. His pistol was accidentally dropped to the floor and went off.

February 1877. Henry Hughes, Deputy (Chief of Police) Marshall. Shot and killed making an arrest of two individuals. Both individuals were sentenced to death and one was hanged. The other man’s sentence was reduced to ten years.
Only one officer killed in 79 years.

And now look at the frequency of murders of law enforcement

Old 11-30-2016, 05:00 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Only one officer killed in 79 years.

And now look at the frequency of murders of law enforcement

That is a reflection of a general shift in society. As an example, back in my dispatching days car chases were rare. I can, with much detail, recall most of those I dispatched and the couple I was lucky enough to ride along in. They made an impact on my memory because they only happened a few times a year. Now they happen at least once a week, because the criminals no longer have any respect for law enforcement nor regard for the possible impact their actions may have upon innocent bystanders. In the olden days the bad guys didn't respect the law, but they generally respected those enforcing the law and understood the rules of the game.

On the flip side, although the criminals today have no respect or regard for anything, the increase of attacks upon the police has generated an outpouring of support from the law-abiding general population. The people are finally getting fed-up with crime run amuck!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City