Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

old Site Oil station
Holy Cow. I remember those. Didn't they have blue square signs with yellow lettering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,717,205 times
"A competitor to Fleming was Associated Grocers which "ran" A-G grocery stores. United Supers and A-G were the major competitors to A&P, Safeway, and Kroger"

There seemed to be so few "chains" back then. Some groceries and five & dime stores, gas stations of course, and some drug stores come to mind, but even the department stores seemed local for the most part (Macy's & Penney's aside, maybe Jones Store too.) WCHS had earlier posted about the Mom & Pop grocery stores in his neighborhood. They filled the gaps between the chain stores and the advent of convenience (7-11) stores. The 1960 Polk's lists 40 non-chain "Groceries and Meat- Retail" in Independence.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
"A competitor to Fleming was Associated Grocers which "ran" A-G grocery stores. United Supers and A-G were the major competitors to A&P, Safeway, and Kroger"

There seemed to be so few "chains" back then. Some groceries and five & dime stores, gas stations of course, and some drug stores come to mind, but even the department stores seemed local for the most part (Macy's & Penney's aside, maybe Jones Store too.) WCHS had earlier posted about the Mom & Pop grocery stores in his neighborhood. They filled the gaps between the chain stores and the advent of convenience (7-11) stores. The 1960 Polk's lists 40 non-chain "Groceries and Meat- Retail" in Independence.

A.J. Bundchu became Emery, Bird, Bundschu. But that might have been late in the game. I wonder how long Emery Bird lasted in Independence before they went out.
It could not have been very long.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Holy Cow. I remember those. Didn't they have blue square signs with yellow lettering?
Yes. I tried to find a sign logo on Google Images. Best I could come up with is the logo on an old oil can at eBay. "Site Oil Company" gives you the Image front row, far right. Blue with yellow indeed. Looks like it still might be around in the St. Louis area.

There was another one on 40 near the Crysler intersection.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:

A.J. Bundchu became Emery, Bird, Bundschu. But that might have been late in the game. I wonder how long Emery Bird lasted in Independence before they went out.
It could not have been very long.
Emery Bird Thayer bought A.J. Bundchu in 1959. Every Emery Bird store including Independence went out in 1968.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Emery Bird Thayer bought A.J. Bundchu in 1959. Every Emery Bird store including Independence went out in 1968.
Interesting, as I thought the fairly modern office building and restaurant named EBT at about 435 and State Line was named after Emery Bird Thayer. That building came years after 1968.

Edit: From Wiki . . "A restaurant called EBT, at 103d Street and State Line Road near I-435, currently houses memorabilia from the store."

Old 10-08-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:

Downtown KC must have been packed with Dept. Stores between 10th & 12th, Main to Grand. In 1960, EBT was at "11th, Walnut & Grand" (also on The Plaza); Jones Store @ "12th, Main & Walnut (also 31st & Troost, 108 N. Liberty of course, and also in Prairie Village (no address given).

Remember Kline's? Ran all the way from 1112-1118 Walnut "thru to" 1113-15 Main.

Macy's at the end of Petticoat Lane, 1034 Main.

Apparently next to Macy's was Peck's of Kansas City at 1044 Main. Anyone remember Peck's?

No Rothschilds' or Harzfeld's in 1960.

However, both show up DT in 1952. Rothschild's ad says "on Main @ Tenth" Also a Plaza Men's and a Plaze Ladies' store. One in Brookside, the "Village Green" at 4613 The Paseo (hadn't remember VG in a long long time), and also in KCK on Minnesota Ave.

Harzfeld's is listed "Main @ 11th thru to Walnut"

As I try to picture those addresses, it looks like City Center Square and The old Mercantile Bank Tower (the dark building with a stilt at 1101 Walnut) replaced some of those stores. What a concentration of dept. stores

Lastly, how about Sam's Bargain Town at 6001 Truman Road? I think there was one on 50 Highway in Raytown also.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 PM

Those names are all familiar although I could not tell you much about any of them.

I remember Sams Bargain Town being big but never did go there.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 AM

778 posts, read 1,010,210 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas
A McD's at 24 & Vassar? Wow, sure don't remember that esp since in 1962 that was on the commute home from 24/River to Sterling.

You probably know it better as 24 Hiway & Forest. The original McD's building sat to the west of the current one. Vasaar is the street along the west of the property that drops off 24 Hiway.

My memory is failing me, the only businesses I recall between City Block and Sterling Lanes are the old Site Oil station and the Mugs Up. I know there were alot more establishments along 24 after reviewing Polk's, but for the life of me, McDonalds nor Starlite Drive In don't ring the bell. I guess we preferred other take-out places on the way home

There was Al's Farm & Garden on the north side of 24 hwy, just before Forest. Don't remember when Jim's Tamales moved in across the street, nor when the foreign car repair shop next door, either.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 PM

What's in a street name?

The saga continues.

I just took a look at ground level via Google Earth at the intersection of Highway 24 and Forest. The city has Highway 24 labeled as Independence Avenue.

At the Noland Road intersection the label is Independence Avenue.

The next light east of Noland Road, Dickinson, has the label Route 24.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City