Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 10:36 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times

Advertisements

WCHS, yes, i remember The Classmen quite well. A classmate who I keep in regular contact with remembers them even better. They were THE local band in the mid-late 60s. I was unaware of the Truman and Newbeats connection. Graduation Goodbye, as noted, was used as a shout out on WHB as far back as I can remember.

I went to RJHS with the beautiful (and I DO MEAN BEAUTIFUL) Liz Brown Dimmel.

A Google search shows Charles Dimmel lived for many years after all, until 2004.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 10:01 AM

239 posts, read 257,157 times
Hi everyone. I'm still around. Been going through some life changes, including a job change of all things. Still around the square all the time though! I wanted to post this link to show an update of what 800 West Maple Avenue now appears to be. I am not sure if there's a way to embed the picture, which I prefer much more. I've only found the link to be useful as far as pulling the picture up. It's in the same Flickr photo collection I've been working on for quite some time. Hope everyone is doing well!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/indepe...7680701458296/

Old 04-02-2017, 10:36 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
Hi everyone. I'm still around. Been going through some life changes, including a job change of all things. Still around the square all the time though! I wanted to post this link to show an update of what 800 West Maple Avenue now appears to be. I am not sure if there's a way to embed the picture, which I prefer much more. I've only found the link to be useful as far as pulling the picture up. It's in the same Flickr photo collection I've been working on for quite some time. Hope everyone is doing well!!

Thanks, pearjas. As you know, I walked past that station a zillion times as my grandparents lived just 3 or so lots down on the same side. Not sure what brand it was way back when, but it was a Texaco at one time I believe. So sad to see how that block has been decimated by destruction on the south side and failure to upkeep the north.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:06 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post

Congrats on the new job, I hope it lasts a long time and you prosper in it. Thanks for keeping us up on changes Uptown.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:24 AM

60 posts, read 56,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
There were also a few years when they bought vehicles of various colors. I remember the worst examples of that being a baby blue station wagon (Plymouth, maybe) and this mustard yellow monstrosity...

I'm glad I don't remember the mustard yellow. It looks like the light bars have come a long ways since then. My mother had a friend who worked for IDP in the early 70's, I don't know in what capacity, but she drove a VW bus. I don't recall if it was marked or not. I never knew for certain if it was hers or IPD. Would IPD have owned a VW vehicle?

Old 04-03-2017, 09:27 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev 2732 View Post
I'm glad I don't remember the mustard yellow. It looks like the light bars have come a long ways since then. My mother had a friend who worked for IDP in the early 70's, I don't know in what capacity, but she drove a VW bus. I don't recall if it was marked or not. I never knew for certain if it was hers or IPD. Would IPD have owned a VW vehicle?
That particular light bar was only installed on a couple of the accident investigation unit vehicles. On the backside of the white box was a double-ended arrow that could direct traffic left, right, or both ways. The white box contained a scissor jack that would elevate the light bar for greater visibility. Although it seemed like a good idea it was a mechanical nightmare and created quite a bit of wind drag on the vehicle. They lasted only about year.

The PD had 2 VW vans in the early 1970s. One was white and tan, used by the crime lab for crime scene investigations. The other was blue and white used for community outreach/crime prevention and the Police Explorer Post.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:48 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
From the Alexandria Gazette, Alexandria, Virginia, August 14, 1862

Old 04-05-2017, 02:59 PM

908 posts, read 725,280 times
Okay, Independence historians, I need you to put your detective work to use. What year did Independence Jr. High become Palmer Jr. High? Thanks.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:24 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
MAD can probably provide more accurate information but a list of yearbooks for Palmer shows 1965 as the oldest issue of the PATRIOT on that website.

However, reading inside the 1965 publication, it says vol II.

That apparently means vol I was issued in 1964. Using that date the name change probably occurred in September 1963, maybe.

The yearbook name for Independence Junior High was The Cub, a takeoff on the Bears of William Chrisman.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:35 PM

908 posts, read 725,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
MAD can probably provide more accurate information but a list of yearbooks for Palmer shows 1965 as the oldest issue of the PATRIOT on that website.

However, reading inside the 1965 publication, it says vol II.

That apparently means vol I was issued in 1964. Using that date the name change probably occurred in September 1963, maybe.

The yearbook name for Independence Junior High was The Cub, a takeoff on the Bears of William Chrisman.
I was thinking that it was early 1960s. I was at Independence Junior High from Sept. 1957 - May 1959. Many of my classmates believe we went to Palmer, but I never heard of Palmer until after 1959. Although, I might have been delusional. I need to find the proof. I looked at the yearbooks earlier today, but I think I may need to look again. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City