Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2017, 10:56 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I'm not a young'un, (well I guess I am, compared to you!) but I had to look it up. That series ran mainly before my TV watching days.
The series is running daily on the Western Channel.

Ward Bond played Major Adams, the wagon master in the series Wagon Train. Adams first name was Seth and there was no connection to the Major Adams in the 1844 newspaper item. He was a major during the Civil War and all the trains he led west went there after the war.

I was sixteen when the program started but never did like the format as the wagons used were piddling little farm wagons with hoop and canvas attachments pulled by a no-no for westward trail purposes--horses. Additionally, the camping sites were indoor sets and probably most of the trail footage from stock movies and the trains contained a very small number of wagons.

Each week’s story centered on one person in the train and that person was usually played by a well-known actor. It was never clear to me whether the current week’s star was riding in the same train as the one from last week.

Bond had a heart attack and died around 1960. John McIntire took over but assumed a different wagon master identity and played until the show died in 1966.

Wagon Train started in 1957 when almost 100 percent of the prime time shows on all three TV networks was a western.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,537 times
Default That was my mom and grandpa!

Karen Paschall was my mom, and Gweldon "Pete" Paschall was my grandpa. I have fond memories of the dairy in Independence.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:35 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtownley View Post
Karen Paschall was my mom, and Gweldon "Pete" Paschall was my grandpa. I have fond memories of the dairy in Independence.
Welcome to our thread Tim. I assume these are the posts you are referring to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I looked way back to no avail. In fact, very few "parish" entries for individuals

There was a Paschall Dairy on Courtney Rd. I do remember that
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I have also heard of a Paschall Truck Line in Independence. I don't remember a Paschall in school.

But now that I think about it, the school mates I recall were not named Parish but were named Paris. (big difference, chuckle.)
It's nice to have some fresh blood here. What other recollections, questions, comments, or memories of dear old Independence do you have?

When commenting on a previous post please click the "Quote" button at the bottom right of that post so we all see what you are referring to.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
A week end teaser for old program television fans:

It is commonly known (or maybe not) that there were four national television networks in the 1940s and 1950s, ABC, CBS, NBC, and DuMont, all of which had Kansas City affiliates.

But there was also a fifth national television network that broadcast during the 1940s and 1950s and that network also had a Kansas City affiliate.

What was the name of that fifth television network?

What Kansas City station carried the network programming?

What was the network's most popular program?--Although the program had to move to another network, it ran for almost 30 years and reruns are still aired today on PBS.

Hint: The company died in 1956 but was resurrected and was broadcasting under a similar name when the 20th century ended. A few years later it died again.

Paramount Television Network

KC affiliates:
KCMO TV (Channel 5)
KCTY-TV (Channel 25)
WDAF-TV (Channel 4)

All carried some Paramount Television programming.

Paramount Television Network most popular program was The Lawrence Welk Show.

United Paramount Network began broadcasting in 1995 and ceased in 2006.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:28 PM

Mad,

Concerning your post on "Questions About Independence" concerning the Heritage Philharmonic, I was ready to ask whatever happened to the Independence Symphony Orchestra. After reading the "about" concerning the Philharmonic, it turns out that the Philharmonic originated as the Independence Symphony.

Franklyn Weddle was mentioned as the founder of the Symphony in 1944 and he was described as a music director for the RLDS church, as well as a high priest.

The name Weddle was immediately recognizable and I thought he might also have been a music teacher at William Chrisman. However, he is not shown in the books I have. There is a Don Welborn mentioned as a WCHS music teacher. Maybe I have the names confused.

But, it may be that he was a music teacher at Independence Junior High School or maybe I was just familiar with his name when reading about the Independence Symphony in the old days.

Do you remember Weddle as a music teacher in junior high?

[I have now seen where I posted long ago that he was a music teacher at junior high]

Last edited by WCHS'59; 06-27-2017 at 04:18 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Mad,

Concerning your post on "Questions About Independence" concerning the Heritage Philharmonic, I was ready to ask whatever happened to the Independence Symphony Orchestra. After reading the "about" concerning the Philharmonic, it turns out that the Philharmonic originated as the Independence Symphony.

Franklyn Weddle was mentioned as the founder of the Symphony in 1944 and he was described as a music director for the RLDS church, as well as a high priest.

The name Weddle was immediately recognizable and I thought he might also have been a music teacher at William Chrisman. However, he is not shown in the books I have. There is a Don Welborn mentioned as a WCHS music teacher. Maybe I have the names confused.

But, it may be that he was a music teacher at Independence Junior High School or maybe I was just familiar with his name when reading about the Independence Symphony in the old days.

Do you remember Weddle as a music teacher in junior high?

[I have now seen where I posted long ago that he was a music teacher at junior high]
The Weddles lived on Pleasant just north of Truman. My feeble memory seems to think they were both musicians. I have a fuzzy memory that she may have been the music teacher at Bryant Elementary. I'll have to check my WCJHS yearbook for him.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
The Weddles lived on Pleasant just north of Truman. My feeble memory seems to think they were both musicians. I have a fuzzy memory that she may have been the music teacher at Bryant Elementary. I'll have to check my WCJHS yearbook for him.
The Weddles don't appear in yearbooks for Palmer, Bridger, nor Chrisman Junior. Further checking reveals my memory is mixing Weddles. Frank was the director of music for the RLDS church, his wife was Doris, with no occupation listed. They lived on Santa Fe Terr. Frederick & Donna Weddle were both teachers and lived on N Pleasant.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:06 AM

908 posts, read 725,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtownley View Post

Any relation to Charles Townley?

Old 07-01-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
The Weddles don't appear in yearbooks for Palmer, Bridger, nor Chrisman Junior. Further checking reveals my memory is mixing Weddles. Frank was the director of music for the RLDS church, his wife was Doris, with no occupation listed. They lived on Santa Fe Terr. Frederick & Donna Weddle were both teachers and lived on N Pleasant.
And, they probably had a son named, Ron Weddle.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I finally found some time. The 1962 directory has "Junior High School". 1963 is the first appearance of "Palmer Junior High".
I post the obit of Palmer's daughter and she said they named it Palmer in 1962. I think the problem lies in that newspaper accounts do not take the space to show an accurate account oi the school's name. If they have an article about Mr. Mannen becoming Principal of that school in 1955, they call the school Palmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City