Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 11:14 AM

908 posts, read 724,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Welcome back!

This is a photo of the Kiger Farm taken around 1915. I will offer many details about this photo IF this picture shows. Fingers crossed....

[IMG][/IMG]

Source: KCHistory.org from KC Public Library
This photo was taken 40 years prior to my birth; therefore, many things had changed before we moved into a building on that farm The big Kiger Farm House was not our home. A few interesting notes about the photo in the newspaper article are that the steps down from the porch were gone by 1949 and the lake was more like a swamp than a lake. There was a small pond towards the driveway, but it was much smaller than what you see in the one picture. Much of that driveway still exists; however, it is probably overgrown and the gravel has probably diminished since we moved to what was then South Kiger and is now known as Lee's Summit Road. In the article picture, you can see a two story barn and a machine shed. Those buildings became my father's and uncle's property in 1949. They ran a poultry farm from 1949 to 1955, when they decided they could not make enough money. They owned the land after 1955, but sold it in 1958 and we moved from the property in 1959.

The two-story barn was used to house chickens on the second floor and probably about 1/3 of the ground floor. There was another barn east of the big barn that was long and many chickens were raised there. The building that was the machine shed was converted into half hatchery and half a one-room residence for the four of us. I have an older brother. There were two other buildings on the grounds.

We owned approximately 40 acres that had what was to be East Pacific on the South, the railroad tracks on the North, what would become Queen Ridge on the East, and South Kiger Road on the West. During the time we owned the land, it was in the county and not in Independence. It became part of Independence in 1961. The land was filled with boulders, creeks, trees, hills, and all the things that made growing crops impossible. It was a kids paradise.

Eventually, prior to selling the farm, the county put in a paved East Pacific and other streets, and my father began selling lots along Pacific. One was west of Trail Ridge and the rest were along Pacific east of Trail Ridge. When we moved in May of 1959, we went from the acreage to a lot that had been part of the farm and was on South Kiger. If you drive north from 23rd Street on Lee's Summit Road, you will see a set of approximately 5 duplexes on each side of a brick ranch home. That home was built for our family.

The pillars and the gate were located on South Kiger and were located approximately at the north side of the first duplex north or our home on South Kiger. The gates were wrought iron and the iron above the driveway had long been removed. They were green. We used to sit on those pillars and watch cars go by. In those days, not many cars went by as it was in the country and Kiger was only two lanes.

I had only three photos that were taken at the farm and none of them showed the barns. A person posted the article on Facebook and then a friend of mine sent me the photo of the gates telling me that I would love it. He has no idea, but he might now.

More to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 07:54 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
I had only three photos that were taken at the farm and none of them showed the barns. A person posted the article on Facebook and then a friend of mine sent me the photo of the gates telling me that I would love it. He has no idea, but he might now.

More to come.

I've heard that fellow is clueless!

Old 09-13-2018, 08:42 PM

908 posts, read 724,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I've heard that fellow is clueless!
He's not in Seattle.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:39 PM

239 posts, read 256,908 times
Quote:
I know! I think we have discussed this before over the last 5 years, but don't recall where. I'll give you a chance to find the answer, which may shock Pearjas!
Obviously I could be shocked, it's Electric

Old 09-16-2018, 01:41 PM

239 posts, read 256,908 times
Interesting. So Lexington was also Electric... Or just a certain part of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarby View Post
So, it seems there WAS an Electric street, as well as an Electric theater. From what I understand, what is now Lexington was formerly called Electric street because of the Electric Line Streetcar.

Don't take my word on that though, because I probably pulled half of it out of thin air.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:35 PM

267 posts, read 158,141 times
At the corner of Scott and Crysler (in the right of way)stands a handsome stone pillar. It is about 5' tall, and looks very nice. It was built several years ago. There are no markings or signage of any kind on it. Question: What the heck is it for? This inquiring mind wants to know..........

Old 09-16-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
Interesting. So Lexington was also Electric... Or just a certain part of it?

West from the Square to the west city limits (at that time present day Crysler or so). Beyond that the road we now know as Winner had previously been called Washington Park Boulevard and before that Westport Road.

Brownie points to anyone explaining those street names.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
At the corner of Scott and Crysler (in the right of way)stands a handsome stone pillar. It is about 5' tall, and looks very nice. It was built several years ago. There are no markings or signage of any kind on it. Question: What the heck is it for? This inquiring mind wants to know..........

(For those scratching their heads, looking for the intersection of two parallel streets, mosey down to the 2800 block of S. Crysler, there you will find Scott Place.)

Nice stone work on that pillar. Was it an Eagle Scout project that is missing its statue?

Old 09-17-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post

Could it be a never finished marker for the Crysler Meadows Subdivision?

Old 09-19-2018, 06:24 AM

267 posts, read 158,141 times
Quote:
Could it be a never finished marker for the Crysler Meadows Subdivision?
Surely not, as it looks to be in the public right of way.
'Tis a puzzlement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City