Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 11:55 AM

908 posts, read 724,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I misplaced the car dealers? Oops. When I first moved to Independence I lived just north of Hwy 24 on Noland. Every Sunday morning, I walked all the way south to --- Walgreens? --- at 39th Street to get a New York Times. Really enjoyed that walk. Now one mile is enough. Two? I'd be desperate.

No, not Walgreens. What was it? Northwest corner.
Wow! That is a long walk!! By chance did you know the Hutcheson family. They lived on the west side of Noland on the corner of the first block north of 24.

Do you recall when you moved to Independence and when you left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Crysler was named for an early postmaster in Independence, Cornell Crysler. He obtained that job via politically connected friends he had back east, who went to President Rutherford B. Hayes and put in the word for him.
You are always a fountain of information. Now try Gudgell and Sheley.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:08 PM

[quote=CaseyMO;53801245]We are going to take a drive around Southeastern Independence starting at 43rd and Lee's Summit Road to Bass Pro Lane to the park & lake, and then drive around the south side of the lake to the east side and then north side. There will be more after this. The area covered in this first part will be the Bass Pro area on the south side of I-70 and on the west side of 291 (also I-470), with 40 highway on the south and Lee's Summit Rd on the west. Continuing...

We have now made it to the NE section of the Bass Pro area, We last saw the hotel. Next to it is Los Cabos, then a clothing store, the Bass Pro. As the road bends to go south again, there will be Hobby Lobby and Mardel's.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:10 PM

Hazel, if you want more, just let me know. I don't want to bore you to tears. :-)

Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Wow! That is a long walk!! By chance did you know the Hutcheson family. They lived on the west side of Noland on the corner of the first block north of 24.

Do you recall when you moved to Independence and when you left?

No, didn't know any Hutcheson - not by name anyway. That's how it is in apartments. People come and go and you seldom get to know most of them. Do you mean they were in one of the two identical apartment buildings?

I came in the 1980s. definitely before the 90s. Can't recall the exact date I left. I'd have to do some thinking. I lived in that building a long while and then moved south of 39th. Independence was an easy city to get around on foot. And I enjoyed walking. Did a lot of it.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
No, didn't know any Hutcheson - not by name anyway. That's how it is in apartments. People come and go and you seldom get to know most of them. Do you mean they were in one of the two identical apartment buildings?

I came in the 1980s. definitely before the 90s. Can't recall the exact date I left. I'd have to do some thinking. I lived in that building a long while and then moved south of 39th. Independence was an easy city to get around on foot. And I enjoyed walking. Did a lot of it.
They lived in a house.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
They lived in a house.

A short distance north of the two apartment buildings? I don't recall a house between 24 and the apt bldgs. Not on Noland Road, I mean. Thought there was a business there. I could be totally wrong, though. To the north of us was a long area of private houses. And, across the street was the high school. It used to be much, much farther north but that was before my time.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:05 PM

267 posts, read 158,141 times
The Examiner is still published, although I'm not sure how they make it. It isn't much any more, and charge $1.00 to get one from a machine!

I worked there for a few years. They once had to stop a press run and call back those already printed, reset, and begin again. "EXAMINER" was misspelled in the masthead!

Old 12-05-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
The Examiner is still published, although I'm not sure how they make it. It isn't much any more, and charge $1.00 to get one from a machine!

I worked there for a few years. They once had to stop a press run and call back those already printed, reset, and begin again. "EXAMINER" was misspelled in the masthead!

Oh! That is almost funny. Was that when Audrey was there? A report I once read said she really annoyed the reporters with her insistence that they spell correctly. Something wrong with that? I cheered her.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
A short distance north of the two apartment buildings? I don't recall a house between 24 and the apt bldgs. Not on Noland Road, I mean. Thought there was a business there. I could be totally wrong, though. To the north of us was a long area of private houses. And, across the street was the high school. It used to be much, much farther north but that was before my time.
I don't recall the apartments, but the house was right across the street from Chrisman. The east-west street was either Moore or Mechanic. Looking at a street map of Independence, it looks like it may have been Mechanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City