Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2021, 12:43 PM

908 posts, read 711,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
In several editions of The Examiner of early 1957 there is an ad for the re-opening of Dixie Creme at 23rd & Kiger. Any of you older-than-me-timers know why they had been closed?
As I recall reading somewhere, they moved to 24 Hiway address. Was this a return to the site? My memory is totally blank about this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 09:17 PM

13,942 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Quote:
In The Examiner of February 18, 1957 Wild Woody's has a 3/4 page ad, which says it has been there for 20 months and has won the confidence of the public. They have added 8,000 square feet in the past year, and the size of the store is best viewed from an airplane.
Now I remember Wild Woody's! This was back in the days before the discount department store chains had spread across the land. Independent operators occupied this niche in a lot of cities, and Wild Woody was one of those.

There was a similar store that opened in 1964 or thereabouts in Overland Park, at 95th and Metcalf, called the French Market.

There was one discount department store chain operating in the area at the time Wild Woody'sn opened, though. It was called Spartan, and the word accurately described what the stores looked like. My Mom used to shop at the store on Blue Parkway.

When did Wild Woody's meet its demise?

Old 06-22-2021, 08:50 AM

267 posts, read 154,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
As I recall reading somewhere, they moved to 24 Hiway address. Was this a return to the site? My memory is totally blank about this place.
If we're talking about the little drive up ice cream stand that sat on the NE corner, I don't know why it may have been closed at some point, but I remember visiting it as a kid. At one point it was sold and moved to 23rd and Crysler (before the DX station expanded). I worked there one summer. When it closed at that location, the building was moved to a salvage yard off of Wilson Road where it sat rotting for many years. I don't know if anything remains of it or not. At one point it was called 'Thrashers', then 'Gibsons'. My parents one considered buying the business when it at the Crysler location.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:06 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,418,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Now I remember Wild Woody's! This was back in the days before the discount department store chains had spread across the land. Independent operators occupied this niche in a lot of cities, and Wild Woody was one of those.

There was a similar store that opened in 1964 or thereabouts in Overland Park, at 95th and Metcalf, called the French Market.

There was one discount department store chain operating in the area at the time Wild Woody'sn opened, though. It was called Spartan, and the word accurately described what the stores looked like. My Mom used to shop at the store on Blue Parkway.

Would that have been Spartan Atlantic? I have vague memories of that store on Blue Parkway.

As for Wild Woody's, it was still there in 1976 and gone before 1988, which are the two editions I have of Polk's Directory.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:26 PM

908 posts, read 711,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
If we're talking about the little drive up ice cream stand that sat on the NE corner, I don't know why it may have been closed at some point, but I remember visiting it as a kid. At one point it was sold and moved to 23rd and Crysler (before the DX station expanded). I worked there one summer. When it closed at that location, the building was moved to a salvage yard off of Wilson Road where it sat rotting for many years. I don't know if anything remains of it or not. At one point it was called 'Thrashers', then 'Gibsons'. My parents one considered buying the business when it at the Crysler location.
Obviously, we are talking about two different places or the info I had was wrong.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:11 PM

13,942 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Quote:
Would that have been Spartan Atlantic? I have vague memories of that store on Blue Parkway.
Yup, that's it.

Quote:
As for Wild Woody's, it was still there in 1976 and gone before 1988, which are the two editions I have of Polk's Directory.
Well, since it survived into the era of the discount chains — remember May Department Stores' foray into that realm, Venture? I think there was one of those at I-70 and Noland Road — it obviously still continued to deliver for its customers. I'd be curious to see whether anybody reported on its closing.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post

All I know of the place is from the ad, which said very little. I'll do some digging as time allows.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:30 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,716,408 times
Quote:

Wild Woody's was still around in 1980 and had several depts and managers, to-wit:

Genl mdse JR Stuart & YK Kim

Bldg supply JRS

Food Center Wm R Rosser

Garden Center Bill Rosser, Mgr

Liquors Art Morris

Pet Shop Boy was bob Carney

Record & Tape Center Larry Clark

Tire Center Mike Winfrey

and lastly,

Wig Salon YK Kim

Old 06-23-2021, 08:41 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,716,408 times
I remember the French Market and its architecture. Can't recall if I was ever in there, however

I DO recall Spartan, now that you mentioned it. And on Blue Parkway, I had to think about it, but I believe it was near Mel Hilliard Chevrolet and the old 3&2 Stadium, same side. Unsure if I was ever a customer there either, but wow, never would have recalled that one

Old 06-25-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:

A brief history of Wild Woody's-

In 1955 Edgar Wood bought an old auction barn and opened Wild Woody's Bargain Barn.

In 1979 he sold the business and 22 acres of land to J. R. Stewart. He remodeled the store and brought in some higher quality merchandise in an attempt to bring in more affluent clientele.

On July 5, 1986 the store closed. Stewart redeveloped the site into the Marketplace shopping center, which is still there today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City