Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post

http://
law.wustl.edu/staff/taylor/manual/slavery.htm

Jackson County
County Slave Population: 1840 - 17.9%; 1850 - 21.2%; 1860 - 17.2%
Townships With the Largest Percentage of Slaves in 1860 (over 14%): Blue - 19.3%; Fort Osage (Sibley and Fort Osage) - 33.5%; Independence - 21.4; Sniabar - 18.2%

Missouri Digital Heritage: Education : Missouri's Early Slave Laws - A History in Documents

Slavery and the Making of America . The Slave Experience: Legal Rights & Gov't | PBS

Missouri "Slave Code" of 1804 made no distinction between slaves and other personal property.
Missouri law holding that slaves who lifted their hands against whites, except in self-defense, were to be punished according to the decision of the justice of the peace, with no more than 39 lashes.
Poor Celia.

There is a movie coming out next year titled Twelve Years a Slave about a free black man living in the north but drugged and shanghaied by slave traders who then shipped him to Louisiana, where he was sold and stayed for twelve years. He was actually able to secretly enlist legal help and was released through the legal system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 08:35 PM

"Jabez Smith, a Virginia slave trader who set up business near Independence, is on record as having transported more than two hundred slaves."

Truman, by David McCullough, p. 5, Simon and Shuster, 1992.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:02 PM

Well, I think everyone is on record as saying that Jabez Smith of Independence had a lot of slaves, chuckle.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:37 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchs'59 View Post
well, i think everyone is on record as saying that jabez smith of independence had a lot of slaves, chuckle.

yup!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:10 PM

Jackson County was in the “Little Dixie” area of Missouri. Little Dixie generally consisted of all the counties on either side of the Missouri River extending from Kansas City to St. Louis. All most all of the slaves in Missouri were located in this area.

From previous readings, I am aware of a slave auction house being on Main Street across from the old Fire Station Number 1.

An antebellum plantation home built by Benjamin F. Thomson is on 40 Highway. I never even knew it existed when I was a youngster. Apparently built in 1855, it is still standing and was used as a restaurant for a number of years. I think someone might have previously posted the address on this thread.

The Thomson home is all brick. There were two two-story antebellum homes in Jackson County that I can remember. As I recall, either one could have substituted for Tara.

One was on Valley View Road, I think, perhaps just off Woods Chapel Road. I don’t remember the exact location but it was a really impressive place. I do not know what happened to it over the years.

Another was north of Buckner just before arriving at Sibley. Trees hid this home for years. One time when I drove by the trees had been taken out and the home could be fully seen. The next time I drove by, it was gone and there was a lot of heavy equipment still on the front yard area.

I don’t know about the Blevins Davis mansion on Lee’s Summit Road across from the Drumm Farm. I never heard any stories that connected it to slavery.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 PM

I just noticed that Google Earth has updated their overhead images of Independence to September 2, 2012. The images show the rough cut for Little Blue Parkway clear to Highway 24.

The ground level images date from 2008, or sooner, through 2011. In some cases the ground level does not match to the aerial level.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I just noticed that Google Earth has updated their overhead images of Independence to September 2, 2012. The images show the rough cut for Little Blue Parkway clear to Highway 24.

The ground level images date from 2008, or sooner, through 2011. In some cases the ground level does not match to the aerial level.
An example. An aerial of the square shows this years Santa-Cali-Gon celebration (Sep 2, 2012 imagery date). Going down to street level shows just a bunch of parked cars in front of the courthouse (Aug 20, 2011 imagery date).

Old 10-23-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:

An antebellum plantation home built by Benjamin F. Thomson is on 40 Highway. I never even knew it existed when I was a youngster. Apparently built in 1855, it is still standing and was used as a restaurant for a number of years. I think someone might have previously posted the address on this thread.

The Thomson home is all brick. .
The Thomson house is on the northeast corner of 36th Street and 40 highway. One could never tell it was built in 1855. From the outside it appears to be in excellent shape.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:25 AM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times
Quote:
The Thomson house is on the northeast corner of 36th Street and 40 highway. One could never tell it was built in 1855. From the outside it appears to be in excellent shape.

Here's a shot off of Google Maps. I noticed what appears to be a historical marker in front, that I need at some point to take a photo of.
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-plantation-2.jpg  

Old 10-24-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Here's a shot off of Google Maps. I noticed what appears to be a historical marker in front, that I need at some point to take a photo of.
I have just this morning spoke to someone who was taken to this place in the mid-fifties when it was called "The Old Plantation" restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City