Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 05:15 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Sunday and the answer to the latest mystery photo. Many of you danced around the correct street, and even mentioned it without guessing it. The view is looking east on 34th Terrace from Lee's Summit Road.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 05:53 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
If anyone has an old map of Independence, I would appreciate knowing if Kiger Road south of 23rd Street, that is the short portion going slightly southwest from Lee's Summit Road at 34th Terrace and extending for one block to 35th Street, was in existence before 1960.

It seems to me that I recall excavation under the tracks and right of way and simultaneous construction of the RR bridge and Kiger roadway and then the opening of that block long section to automobile traffic.

This may have happened about the time the two lane Lee's Summit bridge over the tracks was closed for safety reasons and the only way to get to 35th Street from Lee's Summit Road was via that short leg of Kiger under the new RR bridge.
I can't tell you when the section of Kiger under the RR was built, as there is a gap in my map collection between 194x and 1971. The 194x does not go east quite far enough to show that area. I can tell you my 1971 Texaco map shows the old route across the rickety bridge, and the new under the RR route. The rickety route is in bold, designating it as a main road. In 1977 the Conoco map does not show the rickety bridge.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:07 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Welcome to Sunday and the answer to the latest mystery photo. Many of you danced around the correct street, and even mentioned it without guessing it. The view is looking east on 34th Terrace from Lee's Summit Road.
It's easy to say now, after you've told us, but I had thought of mentioning 34th Ter. myself, but.....Thanks for the photo quiz, and keep 'em coming! I have one or two I might submit.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:23 PM

Any ideas as to what and where this is? No prize, but a pat on the back for the correct answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-stewart-sand-material-truman-road-1.jpg  

Old 11-12-2012, 07:26 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
What year is the photo?

Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Any ideas as to what and where this is? No prize, but a pat on the back for the correct answer.

Stewart Sand & Gravel Co. 16501 Truman Rd.

The bolded entry for Stewart shows a Spring Branch Rd address. Presumably this was the office address and Doc's pic is one of the mining sites?

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 11-12-2012 at 08:23 AM..

Old 11-12-2012, 08:22 AM

Not that I recall the pre- or post- intersection, MAD, but that clearly is a re-do. I traveled up and down LS Rd (suspecting LS since most of your pics are from that vantage point), like the others looking for a road that curved southbound.

I take it the Mid-Continent Genealogy Library nearby is a frequent destination? What a nice resource that must be, and not too far a drive from my former homestead.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

The bolded entry for Stewart shows a Spring Branch Rd address. Presumably this was the office address and Doc's pic is one of the mining sites?

Boy, do I feel like a dope!! I forgot that when you click on the photo, the info comes up with it! I think it would have been a bit harder if I hadn't gave everyone the answer! None the less, MRG, you be the winner! I gotta try harder! And yes, this was one of the mining sites. It was just to the west of 71 Bypass on the north side. It became (or was) Pixley Mine. There was a conveyor that ran across Truman to the south side, where the office and the weigh scales were. As far as the time frame for this photo, I couldn't say for certain, other than it was before 71 Bypass was changed to 291 and later converted to four

Last edited by SilverDoc; 11-12-2012 at 09:32 AM..

Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

Spring Branch Road and Truman Road are one in the same.

In the late forties, a road named after Truman was destined to stretch from down town Kansas City east almost clear across Jackson County.

Fifteenth Street in Kansas City became Truman Road. Van Horn Road running west from Main in Independence became Truman Road. Spring Branch Road running east of Main became Truman Road.

Truman Road ends at Buckner-Tarsney Road east of Lake City.

I always referred to Buckner-Tarsney Road without thinking. However, does anyone know what Tarsney is? There is a Tarsney Lake south of Grain Valley but was there a town?

Buckner-Tarsney Road begins in Sibley and runs 21 miles south to US Highway 50.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas
Get well soon and come back, Sally! You are missed here.

If Sally was in second grade than that would have been War time. In 1942, Alton eastbound extended only to Leslie, then Polk's directs you to Blue Springs Rd. BSR then leads to "beyond S. Kiger Rd." The last listing is Herman C. Davis filling station @ 1526.

No mention of a Greenstein's grocery anywhere. There was an Assembly of God church at 901 but everything else was residential listings.

If the door opened on the corner it may have been addressed on the side street. Try checking Hocker, Dodgion, Leslie, etc. in the 1100-1200 blocks.

Went down the list of Grocers again and see nothing on those streets and only two others on Alton that would be east of Sally's McCoy School . . . Ray A Gooch @ 613 E. Alton and Randolph Larwill @ 528 E. Alton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City