Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 07:06 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Just for fun:

Wow, luv me some Polly's Pop! Remember paying your nickel or dime at the counter then going over to the cooler to select your flavor. I preferred orange.

That is the N. River view. My GPs lived right around the corner so I was by there hundreds of times. I've mentioned before how once or twice we "nonchalantly" walked into the screened door area on a hot day and helped ourselves to a bottle or two.

Here is a brief history of Polly's:

Polly's Pop Soda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 07:14 PM

If that is the N. River side, my recollection is the backroom with the screen door was where the "Office" is in the pic. Judging from the age of the old cars barely seen to the right, I suspect Polly's may have moved the Office towards the Truman Rd side and flip-flopped with the backroom. Stacks of wooden crates filled with Polly's tempted us to help ourselves, but I remember it being where the Office is and also that there was an alley way to the left. The house to the left is too close to Polly's for an alley way, so I suspect it may have been demolished so Polly's could shift its pick up and deliveries away from Truman Rd. Anyway, that's how I remember it !

Old 11-15-2012, 07:16 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

The second one is Polly's Pop. The first one is already labeled as the Woolworth on Maple--and the street is one way.

Sure, those were very obvious. I just wanted to share them.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 PM

Thanks, Doc, those bring back some fond memories. What a shame the building for Polly's was razed. That and the Combs Cottage Inn photos show the variety of architecture from the glory days. Too bad those and the old USPO along with the blocks on The Square and along Lexington could not have been preserved.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Thanks, Doc, those bring back some fond memories. What a shame the building for Polly's was razed. That and the Combs Cottage Inn photos show the variety of architecture from the glory days. Too bad those and the old USPO along with the blocks on The Square and along Lexington could not have been preserved.
Your welcome! Here's another little tidbit:
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-jons-mugs-up.jpg  

Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times
Quote:
Wow, luv me some Polly's Pop! Remember paying your nickel or dime at the counter then going over to the cooler to select your flavor. I preferred orange.

That is the N. River view. My GPs lived right around the corner so I was by there hundreds of times. I've mentioned before how once or twice we "nonchalantly" walked into the screened door area on a hot day and helped ourselves to a bottle or two.

Here is a brief history of Polly's:

Polly's Pop Soda
The only flavor I did not like was cola. Their version just could not compare to Coke.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Is that the one on the north side of US 24 between Sterling and River?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
That is not the one on 23rd Street I dont think, but I cannot seem to place where Jon's was located.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
5 cent root beers, in frosted mug

30 cent Zipburgers (loose meat classic)

35 cent if BBQ

Black Cows root beer float (root beer w/ ice cream) 20 - 30 cents

What bargains!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
5 cent root beers, in frosted mug

30 cent Zipburgers (loose meat classic)

35 cent if BBQ

Black Cows root beer float (root beer w/ ice cream) 20 - 30 cents

What bargains!
Yep, root beer was only good if it was ice cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City