Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Where is the highest elevation point in Kansas City, MO?

For the KC Metro Area, the intersection of Truman Rd and Main Street in Independence, MO may very well the highest place. From there you can easily see the buildings of downtown KC to the west and one can see past the Independence Power & Light smokestack, which is close to Blue Springs.

If you are standing on the stone arch bridge on Blue Ridge Blvd at Truman road you will be standing on the highest point in the metro. I use the term "metro" because at that point, it is Jackson county Missouri, a community called Inner city, dog patch, or Blue Summit. It was incorporated for a while in the late 60's but didn't last long.
This got me to thinking where the highest point was in Jackson County. Independence is supposed to have an official elevation of 1,033 feet although there is no location noted.

I am thinking the courthouse might be the highest elevation. Not sure. Also seems that Main goes uphill slightly from Truman and Main.

The highest point in Jackson County appears to be 1,100 feet in south Kansas City just south of Mo 150 and just west of Lee's Summit city limits. There is some type of tower located at that elevation.

I was not aware that Blue Summit fell apart, chuckle. I recall at about the time of incorporation both Kansas City and Independence both emphatically said "We don't want it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 05:16 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,131 times
Here's something you might find a bit interesting:

The Inn Crowd | Fat Mouth | The Pitch

Old 11-20-2012, 05:34 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,093 times
Quote:
Here's something you might find a bit interesting:

The Inn Crowd | Fat Mouth | The Pitch

That is the Trolley Diner that is at Truman Road and Vermont. There was another trolley converted to a diner that was just west of the Payless Shoes at Truman and Sterling. It was covered with a wood shell at some point but has been closed for several years.

I seem to recall a third trolley in Independence on the west side but cannot recall if it was on Truman or 23rd Street.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
This got me to thinking where the highest point was in Jackson County. Independence is supposed to have an official elevation of 1,033 feet although there is no location noted.

I am thinking the courthouse might be the highest elevation. Not sure. Also seems that Main goes uphill slightly from Truman and Main.

The highest point in Jackson County appears to be 1,100 feet in south Kansas City just south of Mo 150 and just west of Lee's Summit city limits. There is some type of tower located at that elevation.

I was not aware that Blue Summit fell apart, chuckle. I recall at about the time of incorporation both Kansas City and Independence both emphatically said "We don't want it."

1059ft Blue Ridge Cemetery
1049ft. Ridgewood Shops
1040ft Blue-Vue Shopping Center
1036ft Soldier's Cemetery
1026ft. Gas Light Square
1030ft Raytown Plaza
990ft Indep. Square

Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,153 times
[quote=SilverDoc;27032463][quote=Mad Anthonie;27028761]
Quote:

I took the shot from atop my elephino atop the Stone Arch Bridge.[/quot

What camera and what size zoom lens did you use to take these photos?
Canon EOS 10D with a 300mm lens.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,760,221 times
Quote:
Where is the highest elevation point in Kansas City, MO?

For the KC Metro Area, the intersection of Truman Rd and Main Street in Independence, MO may very well the highest place. From there you can easily see the buildings of downtown KC to the west and one can see past the Independence Power & Light smokestack, which is close to Blue Springs.

If you are standing on the stone arch bridge on Blue Ridge Blvd at Truman road you will be standing on the highest point in the metro. I use the term "metro" because at that point, it is Jackson county Missouri, a community called Inner city, dog patch, or Blue Summit. It was incorporated for a while in the late 60's but didn't last long.

This just amazes me. I don't remember The Square on an elevation so I StreetViewed Main @ Truman. Sure enough, doing a 360 could see way out to the horizon to the east and peeking thru a mass of trees on both sides of Truman several blocks to the west, I could see the top of what looked to be the KCP&L Building.

For you historians out there, I suppose a big reason The Square was selected as the situs of the courthouse etc. was because it sat on an elevated plot of land?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
This just amazes me. I don't remember The Square on an elevation so I StreetViewed Main @ Truman. Sure enough, doing a 360 could see way out to the horizon to the east and peeking thru a mass of trees on both sides of Truman several blocks to the west, I could see the top of what looked to be the KCP&L Building.

For you historians out there, I suppose a big reason The Square was selected as the situs of the courthouse etc. was because it sat on an elevated plot of land?

Well, It is a pretty prominent spot to build it, so that's as good a theory as any.

When I was a kid, I'd ride my bike to the square from my house out east, off of Truman. ( About 3/4 of a mile west of the IPL power plant which is roughly 6 miles from Blue Springs) It was a real chore, since I'd be peddling uphill from Lee's Summit road to Main. Sure was nice going back home, though! I could coast a half mile or more!

Last edited by SilverDoc; 11-20-2012 at 10:16 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 PM

Nice sign!
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-welcoming-sign-t-inep.-june-1949  

Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 PM

How about these?
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-kiddie-land-c.1955-1.jpg   Long ago on independence square-kiddie-land-c.1955-2.jpg   Long ago on independence square-kiddie-land-c.1955-3.jpg   Long ago on independence square-kiddie-land-c.1955-.jpg  

Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,760,221 times
Quote:
1059ft Blue Ridge Cemetery
1049ft. Ridgewood Shops
1040ft Blue-Vue Shopping Center
1036ft Soldier's Cemetery
1026ft. Gas Light Square
1030ft Raytown Plaza
990ft Indep. Square
Damn, I never would have envisioned those places being the highest spots in the County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City