Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Okay, can anyone name this building and tell me where it was?
I sure never knew there was a Furr's at 24 and 291. It must have been on the east side of 291.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 04:32 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
I can't help but note the irony of the end of WWII banner headlines, with the article on the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. What a difference a few days made.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 11-30-2012 at 04:42 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
I've been a fan of "The Last Days of WW II" on the Military History Channel, which covers the last six months of the War, week-by-week.

It has said that Truman was so kept in the dark until the death of FDR. Not only was he unaware of The Manhattan Project (atomic bomb) but had never even been in the War Situation Room. There was also the conferences going on with Churchill and the evil Stalin. Then Churchill loses re-election. How scary must all of that have been for him, the advisers, and the Nation? God bless him, he took over like a pro and made the right decisions to end the War

BTW, the Drumm Farm's own Richard Rhodes is prominently feature as a guest commentator (Pulizter Prize winner on the making of the bomb). I suggest this series for anyone, especially for those who might be taking our freedoms for granted.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:58 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I did not think R.D. Mize Road crossed M-291.

I thought it ran rather parallel and then away from M-291.
Actually if you get in the Way Back Machine you'll find RD Mize Rd did cross the road currently known as M-291. My 1947 Gallup map of Greater KC shows what is now 23rd St was then called RD Mize beginning at the then east city limits at Leslie. At that time I believe M-291 was still Highway O.

Some people mistake the current Hidden Valley & M-291 as RD Mize. If you travel east from there it connects with RD Mize in a manner that is confusable.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Actually if you get in the Way Back Machine you'll find RD Mize Rd did cross the road currently known as M-291. My 1947 Gallup map of Greater KC shows what is now 23rd St was then called RD Mize beginning at the then east city limits at Leslie. At that time I believe M-291 was still Highway O.

Some people mistake the current Hidden Valley & M-291 as RD Mize. If you travel east from there it connects with RD Mize in a manner that is confusable.
I hear what you are saying. Interesting about Alton/23rd being R.D. Mize east of Leslie at one time.

Jackson County O highway did not come along until some time after 1953. I was a school patrol boy in the 6th grade, 1953, and assigned to duty at US By pass 71 (Noland Road) and Alton (23rd Street). There were traffic lights there but the school felt two patrol boys needed to be there to help the kids get across Noland, which even at that time was was four lane from Pacific Street to South Side Boulevard.

It had to be two or three years later that the first segment of O was finished. I cannot recall whether the segment north of 23rd or south of 23rd was finished first but you could drive on it as each segment was finished. We thought that was some humdinger of a highway to be county but that designation was only temporary. When it was totally finished it became By pass 71 replacing Noland and later became M-291.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:07 PM

12 posts, read 19,026 times
I grew up on that side of town and had mistakenly called rd mize, pleasant ridge. I recognized the wooden sign posted on the left side of the.pic, it is from the church that resides there.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I hear what you are saying. Interesting about Alton/23rd being R.D. Mize east of Leslie at one time.

Jackson County O highway did not come along until some time after 1953. I was a school patrol boy in the 6th grade, 1953, and assigned to duty at US By pass 71 (Noland Road) and Alton (23rd Street). There were traffic lights there but the school felt two patrol boys needed to be there to help the kids get across Noland, which even at that time was was four lane from Pacific Street to South Side Boulevard.

It had to be two or three years later that the first segment of O was finished. I cannot recall whether the segment north of 23rd or south of 23rd was finished first but you could drive on it as each segment was finished. We thought that was some humdinger of a highway to be county but that designation was only temporary. When it was totally finished it became By pass 71 replacing Noland and later became M-291.
Perhaps Dallas could poke about the Polk's to see if he can tell when RD Mize from Leslie to James Downey was renamed.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:36 PM

There is some serious work going on at Highway 24 and Little Blue Parkway.

Highway 24 is down to one lane in each direction and there had to be half a dozen earth movers working on the new intersection.

Little Blue pavement is finished almost to the new intersection but as of yet none of the intersection has been paved.

I am also of the understanding that the Lewis and Clark Expressway will at some point tie in from the north at this same intersection.

Something rather large is going up at the old Candy Stripe on West 23rd. It is not retail though.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Ah yes, shot many a practice hoops there and watched several of my buddies play their school games It was kept open for most of the Christmas holidays and was a good place for something to do when the outside temp was freezing. Then up to The Square in bitter cold and wind. The Good Ol Days.
I was surprised to find that there are only two restrooms in the building. Both are downstairs, one for men and one for women. Seems difficult to imagine 1,250 people attending a stage event. The men's area had only four stalls and two urinals.

There may be others there but I sure did not find them and I was all over the place on two occasions.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Something rather large is going up at the old Candy Stripe on West 23rd. It is not retail though.
That is retail, it will be a Dollar General. They just finished a similar building on 24 Highway just west of Jennings.

I surmise from your comments that you are now or have recently been back in town. If so, welcome back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City