Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 AM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I must be having a senior moment or something. I don't recognize the old school and I really should just because of its location, chuckle.

This is a composite of three photos my folks took. I tried to put them together, but I'm not too good at it! I need to have a professional do it for me. The idea of an alumni reunion came to a few of us at my high school reunion last month. Some of the kids I went all the way through school with, from kindergarten at Spring Branch, to graduating from WCHS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 11:40 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
I remember a McCoy classmate in the early 1950s who lived right across the street from the school. We always thought she was rather unlucky to live so close. Three other classmates, two girls and one boy, lived just a block and a half away. I hated it because i had to walk what seemed to me to be 2 miles at the time. I clocked it years later and it was only .6 of a mile.

I can recall having a number of friends in grade school but then when we went to Independence Junior High School all of these associations seemed to just go away as we all melted into the general school population with new friends from the other schools.

At the time I went to junior high, Pace School Bus service had a total of 22 buses. In the morning I rode the oldest bus in service, number 2. That bus was so old it shuddered every time the gears were shifted. Going home I road the newest bus, number 22. Number 22 was driven by Lulu, a no nonsense driver, and it was a flat nosed bus that was the first in service for Pace.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:49 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
This is a composite of three photos my folks took. I tried to put them together, but I'm not too good at it! I need to have a professional do it for me. The idea of an alumni reunion came to a few of us at my high school reunion last month. Some of the kids I went all the way through school with, from kindergarten at Spring Branch, to graduating from WCHS.
Is it an invisible photo, or are you referring to the Spring Branch School photo on the last page?

Old 12-08-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Is it an invisible photo, or are you referring to the Spring Branch School photo on the last page?

It was an afterthought that was meant to be added with the photo. Could be that I'm too young and should leave all this computer business to my elders. Hee, hee!

Old 12-08-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I remember a McCoy classmate in the early 1950s who lived right across the street from the school. We always thought she was rather unlucky to live so close. Three other classmates, two girls and one boy, lived just a block and a half away. I hated it because i had to walk what seemed to me to be 2 miles at the time. I clocked it years later and it was only .6 of a mile.

I can recall having a number of friends in grade school but then when we went to Independence Junior High School all of these associations seemed to just go away as we all melted into the general school population with new friends from the other schools.

At the time I went to junior high, Pace School Bus service had a total of 22 buses. In the morning I rode the oldest bus in service, number 2. That bus was so old it shuddered every time the gears were shifted. Going home I road the newest bus, number 22. Number 22 was driven by Lulu, a no nonsense driver, and it was a flat nosed bus that was the first in service for Pace.
I used to walk to Spring Branch, since I also lived too close to ride a bus. I lived (and do today) on Jones, less than a mile away. We used to roll hedge apples from a big hedge tree along Truman, under the bus tires on our way home, since the "walkers" would have a head start on the "riders". At the time, number 40 was the old man of Pace's bus company

Old 12-08-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I used to walk to Spring Branch, since I also lived too close to ride a bus. I lived (and do today) on Jones, less than a mile away. We used to roll hedge apples from a big hedge tree along Truman, under the bus tires on our way home, since the "walkers" would have a head start on the "riders". At the time, number 40 was the old man of Pace's bus company
It seemed they bought a few flat nose buses in the fifties and then went back to the engine up front configuration. Rumors among the kids were that the flat noses were either too expensive or too expensive to repair, etc. Ten days ago I drove by one school, and all the buses were flat nose. I did not take note of any unit numbers, though.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:56 PM

It's time for another trip down ______________, aka Memory Lane. This time I'll give you two different views of the same location.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM

First photo would seem to be Kiger Road looking south toward 23rd Street.

Second photo looking east would seem to be Sea Street crossing Kiger.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 PM

Speaking of Pace School Bus Service...................

I just noticed that the Independence School District has a Transportation and Maintenance Division located at 900 S Powell Road. Looking at that location, all I saw was farmland.

The web site says the Independence School District owns and operates 154 buses.

So did Pace go out and the school district bought their buses? Anyone know the scoop?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
First photo would seem to be Kiger Road looking south toward 23rd Street.

Second photo looking east would seem to be Sea Street crossing Kiger.
Wow, you are sharp! First one is looking south from Sea on Kiger. I'm going to have to make these tougher. Maybe if I convert them to sepia tone and flip them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City