Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 08:19 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodUserNamesAreTaken View Post
I have been fascinated with the possibilities of this house:

1809 S VASSAR Avenue, Independence, MO 64052 | Listing Information |

How is the neighborhood now?
I listen to the Police scanner a bit, and this 'hood is generally quiet. Many of the older homes in the area have been well cared for. Next time the weather is cooperative take a stroll around the area. That is an excellent way to get a sense of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 08:38 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Consider this a late Christmas gift. My Beloved and I found this in one of our family albums. No clue as to who took it, when, or why.
I was in there many a time. A blind man operated a small store inside. As a little boy in the late forties, I could never understand how a blind man could operate anything. Turns out he was legally blind but could see minimally well enough with thick glasses to do business.

That small round sign on the corner of Lexington and Osage in the foreground is a Kansas City Transit bus stop for buses stopping facing south.This route was apparently changed because when I was a kid the bus would have stopped on the corner of Osage and Maple and then continued on Maple to the square where it would stop on all four corners of the square. Then it would go west on Lexington and stop at the post office again on the Lexington side.

Later, the buses skipped the square entirely and stopped at the post office at about where this small sign is.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Consider this a late Christmas gift. My Beloved and I found this in one of our family albums. No clue as to who took it, when, or why.
Just west of the post office in this photo was the mail loading docks.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:04 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
And I suspect the white trimmed business at the Maple intersection is either Western Auto or one of the markets (Maple St. Market ?) previously mentioned

Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I was in there many a time. A blind man operated a small store inside. As a little boy in the late forties, I could never understand how a blind man could operate anything. Turns out he was legally blind but could see minimally well enough with thick glasses to do business.

That small round sign on the corner of Lexington and Osage in the foreground is a Kansas City Transit bus stop for buses stopping facing south.This route was apparently changed because when I was a kid the bus would have stopped on the corner of Osage and Maple and then continued on Maple to the square where it would stop on all four corners of the square. Then it would go west on Lexington and stop at the post office again on the Lexington side.

Later, the buses skipped the square entirely and stopped at the post office at about where this small sign is.
I believe now the KC (and Independence) buses converge at a fancy "station" on Truman near Noland, where the old junk yard use to be.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
And I suspect the white trimmed business at the Maple intersection is either Western Auto or one of the markets (Maple St. Market ?) previously mentioned
It does not look like Western Auto is there yet. I believe Western Auto combined those two stores seen in the photo when it did go in. Western Auto had their huge "9" sign (red on white?) over that corner facing door.

That sign at the entrance to the post office is an armed forces recruitment sign. I believe it was the tradition back then to place these large free standing signs in front of all post offices. There was no recruitment office in the post office itself.

Later, when the new post office (actually it was constructed as a federal building) was built, recruiters had their offices on the second floor. Back in 1970 I came home on leave but had to call an Army post for some reason. Long distance calls cost an arm and a leg back then. I went up to the Army recruiting office on the second floor and used their military Autovon phone system to make the call so it would not cost me anything.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:21 AM

A Western Auto store with the "9" sign in a town somewhere.

Western Auto was headquartered in KC but went belly up in 2003.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:51 AM

At the time the photo of the post office was taken, all postal vehicles were painted olive drab, the same as for the army. Even postal boxes on the street corner were that color (have you seen a streetside collection box lately?).

A few years ago I read that after WWI, the army had a lot of surplus olive drab paint left over from the war and donated it all to the post office. The post office official color was green at the time but with all the free paint, the official color became olive drab.

The olive drab gave way to red, white, and blue around 1955, not too long after the eight sided yellow stop signs went to red.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 AM

The post office loading docks were on the Lexington Street side of the old post office. I was trying to think what was on the opposite Maple Street side and thought it might be more loading docks. But, now that I think of it, there must have been parking for mail delivery trucks on that side. No jeeps with right hand drive either. These came along slowly in the late fifties.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:06 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
At the time the photo of the post office was taken, all postal vehicles were painted olive drab, the same as for the army. Even postal boxes on the street corner were that color (have you seen a streetside collection box lately?).

A few years ago I read that after WWI, the army had a lot of surplus olive drab paint left over from the war and donated it all to the post office. The post office official color was green at the time but with all the free paint, the official color became olive drab.

The olive drab gave way to red, white, and blue around 1955, not too long after the eight sided yellow stop signs went to red.
In my youth there was an olive drab mailbox on the corner of our lot. It was not for depositing mail. A postal truck loaded it with the day's delivery, and the carrier would make several stops there to reload his bag, working away from the box a different direction each time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City