Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Seeing a webpage on the "Walking Tour" along with the HST caricature logo made me wonder how many other "classic" and/or historic houses coulda/shoulda been preserved. Since it's a slow time here and y'all are buried with snow (notice I've said nothing about Florida!), maybe we could put together a list of houses that would have otherwise qualified in a perfect world:

The aforementioned Swope house on Pleasant (my info tells me it was very near RLDS The Campus)
It was on the property now known as the Campus.

I remember watching many an old house get torn down along Delaware during the "Urban Renewal" days. Most of them didn't have great historical significance, but would have been spared if the HST Historic District had been formed earlier.

I also remember several grand old houses just north of Truman Road on Main & Liberty, such as the old Ott & Mitchell Funeral Home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

I remember watching many an old house get torn down along Delaware during the "Urban Renewal" days. Most of them didn't have great historical significance, but would have been spared if the HST Historic District had been formed earlier.

I also remember several grand old houses just north of Truman Road on Main & Liberty, such as the old Ott & Mitchell Funeral Home.
Where does the Walking Tour go? I guess I could also look it up!

My book on Independence (same one as Pearjas has) lists pics of several old houses, several no longer with us. One which might have been on W. Maple I think belonged to a politician. Another out Winner Rd way burned to the ground. I'll check them out when I get back home.

Little did I know while throwing a baseball around The Campus that we were playing on historic ground.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:09 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
So....your point is...?
Quote:
Uhhh . . just checking in to say hello Hope everyone is keeping safe and warm.

Just razzin' ya! Enjoy!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Quote:
Just razzin' ya! Enjoy!

Got it, Doc! The icon gave it away, as did mine :-) Will try to send some sunshine/warmth your way. What happened today weather-wise? Was it as bad as Pearjas indicated?

Old 02-25-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Where does the Walking Tour go? I guess I could also look it up!

My book on Independence (same one as Pearjas has) lists pics of several old houses, several no longer with us. One which might have been on W. Maple I think belonged to a politician. Another out Winner Rd way burned to the ground. I'll check them out when I get back home.

Little did I know while throwing a baseball around The Campus that we were playing on historic ground.

We used to run down to the Campus during gym class while I was going to WCJHS. There were a number of old houses along Pendleton which have since been torn down.

Which book are you speaking of? Is it "The Truman Neighborhood- From Elegant Mansions To The Neck"? I have it, and it's a good reference book.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Just razzin' ya! Enjoy!
Quote:
Got it, Doc! The icon gave it away, as did mine :-) Will try to send some sunshine/warmth your way. What happened today weather-wise? Was it as bad as Pearjas indicated?

Nothing so far. It's not really supposed to do anything until later today, (It's 1:19pm at the moment) and continue thru most of tomorrow, and possibly into Thurs. Fun, fun! They're still calling for 8 -12" more on top of what we already have! I've already been out for provisions and such, so I suppose I'm set.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:47 PM

18 posts, read 21,487 times
When I was in WCJHS the coach told everyone we were running from the jr high to the campus and he would give everyone a headstart. He carried a paddle and said if he caught up with anyone, they would get a swat! That was probably '67 or '68.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0650 View Post
When I was in WCJHS the coach told everyone we were running from the jr high to the campus and he would give everyone a headstart. He carried a paddle and said if he caught up with anyone, they would get a swat! That was probably '67 or '68.
Welcome to the group! We hope you'll stick around and wax nostalgic with us. Are you still living in town?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 PM

18 posts, read 21,487 times
Mom was a teacher at Bryant, she still lives in Indep. I haven't lived there since '82. Thanks for the welcome.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Welcome to the group! We hope you'll stick around and wax nostalgic with us. Are you still living in town?
Quote:
Mom was a teacher at Bryant, she still lives in Indep. I haven't lived there since '82. Thanks for the welcome.
My greetings and welcome also! The more the merrier! I was at WCJHS in the same time frame. I had Oetting, (who I saw in Price Choppers a couple of months ago) Tyson, and Hershman for gym. I was lucky to get through without a swat. Never got one from Norton, either. Guess I lucked out, huh? Didn't escape the infamous wooden indoor track, though! 30 laps was a mile, as I recall. One day, as we were headed in a trot toward the Campus, I glanced behind me to see where the coach was, and when I turned my head back around, there was a mail truck directly ahead of me, so I threw up my hands to cushion the impact while falling to one knee. All I got was one badly skinned knee, thankfully!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City