Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Okay, here's another easy one for a lazy Sun. evening:

I know, I know!!! But I'll wait until Monday to answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times
Quote:
Okay, here's another easy one for a lazy Sun. evening:

That was an entrance to Allis Chalmers Gleaner Combines manufacturing on South Cottage Street.

In 2013, Gleaner combines are in their 90th year of manufacture but, sadly, not in Independence. Since 2000 they have been manufactured in Hesston, Kansas, by a company that purchased the company from Allis Chalmers.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
That was an entrance to Allis Chalmers Gleaner Combines manufacturing on South Cottage Street.

In 2013, Gleaner combines are in their 90th year of manufacture but, sadly, not in Independence. Since 2000 they have been manufactured in Hesston, Kansas, by a company that purchased the company from Allis Chalmers.
Correct! Too easy? Want another one?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:42 AM

18 posts, read 21,487 times
He's leaning on a full size Matador, I would guess around a 1974 since it has the "safety bumpers" that were mandated in 1973. Is that Bill Rodekoph (sp)?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Keep em coming.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0650 View Post
He's leaning on a full size Matador, I would guess around a 1974 since it has the "safety bumpers" that were mandated in 1973. Is that Bill Rodekoph (sp)?
I dont have a clue where they got the Matador name or the Gremlin name. When I went off active duty in 1973 I test drove a new Gremlin from the local dealership. The salesman went with me. The car died about two blocks after driving off the lot. We walked back and while he sent a crew down to revive it, I got in my car and left declining to try another. That may have been the only time I never got a followup telephone car from a new car salesman wanting to know what I had decided.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 03-04-2013 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Doc, when I first saw that Allis Chalmers building photo, I thought that I had never seen an architectural style building like that in Independence. Then the more I looked at it, I thought the gate area was a factory workers entrance. For a second time, I looked around the Gleaner complex and found it. I have driven by there a couple times in the past year and I guess I just did not pay attention.

A few months ago someone in the Chamber of Commerce indicated they would like to take over that former combine production area for the annual Santa-Cali-Gon festival.

Dont recall whether money was an issue or not. Have not heard much about that proposal since.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Quote:
I'd guess 73 or 74 just based on that "high fashion" look

Old 03-04-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Yep! That be him!

Old 03-04-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I'd guess 73 or 74 just based on that "high fashion" look

"The Matador (1971-1978) replaced the AMC Rebel, which had been marketed since 1967. With a facelift and a new name, the AMC Matadors were available as a two-door hardtop as well as a four-door sedan and station wagon. The sedan and wagon models "offered excellent value and were fairly popular", including as a prowl car. The Matador received a redesign in 1974, in part to meet new safety and crash requirements as well as a completely different model "to contend with the bull market for plush mid-size coupes that sprang up after the end of the muscle car era." The Matador was based on AMC's "senior" automobile platform shared with the full-size Ambassador line.
American Motors advertising assured that the Matador was not just a name change and facelift, but in reality, it was the 1970 Rebel restyled with a longer front clip and a new interior. The 1971 Matadors acquired a "beefier" front end look for all three body designs. From the firewall back, the Matador shared its body with the Ambassador, which had a longer wheelbase and front end sheetmetal, a formal grille and luxurious trim, as well as more standard equipment that included air conditioning.

While "Matador" may have been a move away from connotations of the Confederacy inspired by the rise of the Civil Rights Movement, it did not help solve the obscurity problem, as AMC adopted a "What's a Matador" advertising campaign. This self-disparaging marketing campaign "turned the styling of anonymity into an asset." Consumer-research polls conducted by AMC found it meant virility and excitement to consumers. However, American Motors ran into problems in Puerto Rico. Matador turns out to have connotations for "killer" on the island where bull-fighting was abolished when the U.S. took control of Puerto Rico."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City