Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Being as how I am a McCoy Grade School "graduate" it looks like the McCoy House, which would be on west Farmer.
I had the honor of visiting this house when the Ingram's were restoring it. Both of them loved history and sharing history with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 03:14 PM

2,373 posts, read 2,760,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Yup, the old girl is showing her age. I posted this one on account'a I lived there for a few years after high school, so it was a semi-famous resident! A buddy of mine owned it, and wanted room-mates to help with the bills. Being a fan of old houses I was happy to oblige. I had the house being built earlier than the public records show. I'll have to recollect where I got my date, and dig up the history on the place.

His family owned the apartments across the street back then. They mainly bought them to run out the riff-raff and restore the place to decency. They refurbed each one and were selective in tenants. That little building holds eight apartments.

1940 Polk's lists Samuel T Mifflin who was a "slsmn" (salesman)

By 1950 and on to 1960 there was a new owner

Old 03-21-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I had the honor of visiting this house when the Ingram's were restoring it. Both of them loved history and sharing history with others.

They must have done a good job as either Trulia or Zillow estimates its value in the $220k range

Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
They must have done a good job as either Trulia or Zillow estimates its value in the $220k range
I would think part of the value is due to its historical status.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:41 PM

20 posts, read 25,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Being as how I am a McCoy Grade School "graduate" it looks like the McCoy House, which would be on west Farmer.

Yes, it is indeed the McCoy House. Owens-McCoy House - Under Construction... - Owens-McCoy House, Independence, Missouri

Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 PM

20 posts, read 25,494 times
This is the information I have on the Mifflin House:

The house was built around 1890 and is a classic example of the Stick style of architecture popular at the time. The lot was purchased by Samuel T. Mifflin on June 25, 1888; he worked as a clerk at a dry goods firm in Kansas City during the 1890s. He was married to Adele Sheaff and the couple had five children (two boys and three girls). After Mifflin's death, his son, Samuel T. Mifflin Jr., who was an advertising salesman, owned the house; he died in 1959. His sister, Edna Mifflin Streeter, owned the house until her death in 1962 (although she lived in a nursing home at the time of her death). Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Walter bought the house from one of Edna Streeter's daughters in 1964 and later sold it to a policeman, Mike Hogue.

It would be nice if it had an owner who would be willing to put the time, effort, and money into restoring it, as it is one of the few architectural gems left in western Independence and one of a few intact examples of Stick architecture in the city.

Quote:
1940 Polk's lists Samuel T Mifflin who was a "slsmn" (salesman)

By 1950 and on to 1960 there was a new owner

Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimlover6 View Post

The house was built around 1890 and is a classic example of the Stick style of architecture popular at the time. The lot was purchased by Samuel T. Mifflin on June 25, 1888; he worked as a clerk at a dry goods firm in Kansas City during the 1890s. He was married to Adele Sheaff and the couple had five children (two boys and three girls). After Mifflin's death, his son, Samuel T. Mifflin Jr., who was an advertising salesman, owned the house; he died in 1959. His sister, Edna Mifflin Streeter, owned the house until her death in 1962 (although she lived in a nursing home at the time of her death). Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Walter bought the house from one of Edna Streeter's daughters in 1964 and later sold it to a policeman, Mike Hogue.

It would be nice if it had an owner who would be willing to put the time, effort, and money into restoring it, as it is one of the few architectural gems left in western Independence and one of a few intact examples of Stick architecture in the city.
Thanks for that, interesting, had not heard of the "Stick" style before. Edna Streeter was indeed the name listed for 1950 and 1960. I'm wondering if I ever saw that house as westbound along KY past the pool/diamond was beyond my neck of the woods. I'm curious about the layout of the house given the arrangement of the windows, as WCHS noted.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimlover6 View Post

Many thanks for that history! I knew parts of that, but not all. I lived there with Mike Hogue when I worked at the PD as a dispatcher. He did some restoration on the interior, but it needs much more! He moved out in the mid 1980s.

There is another large older house in that area at 200 N Hawthorne, although it is not as elegant. I think it may have been a farmhouse or estate. The Bellis family lived there at one time.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 PM

Default It Was 2 Years Ago Today

I noticed a few days ago our dear friend Sally36 started this thread. March 22, 2011. Poor Sally had a hard time getting anyone to contribute, I love her posts and it was sad in a way that few took her up until MAD and WCHS injected the thread with high octane.

Now look at us, almost 300 pages/3,000 posts. I wonder what the other "regulars" on the KC Forum think when they see this thread almost always at the top lol. Like, WTH are those people talking about.

It's been quite awhile since Sally or Son has posted. Prayers up always for her, Sally come back you are very missed.

To the rest of you, thanks for helping me relive lots of long-buried memories and learning alot of new things for the place that I can't really claim as my "hometown" but was within its city limits (barely I think at the time) when I first came kicking and screaming and creating havoc into the world. Hope to see some of you when I hopefully come back for a reunion late this Summer.

MRG Dallas

Old 03-22-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that, interesting, had not heard of the "Stick" style before. Edna Streeter was indeed the name listed for 1950 and 1960. I'm wondering if I ever saw that house as westbound along KY past the pool/diamond was beyond my neck of the woods. I'm curious about the layout of the house given the arrangement of the windows, as WCHS noted.
I can give you the inside scoop! The staggered windows on the north side are at staircase landings. When entering the front door there is a small vestibule, with the stairs on the right, rising to the north. The staircase goes up 1/2 story to a landing with the full window. The next 1/2 story the stairs rise to the south. The same pattern repeats to the third floor.

To the left of the vestibule is the parlor. The entry is a double wide set of pocket doors. On the west parlor wall towards the south is another set of double-wide pocket doors into another parlor with a fireplace diagonally in the SE corner. The north wall of that room also has pocket doors leading into the dining room, which is directly west of the entry. The dining room also has a single door from the vestibule. The kitchen is in the west wing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City