Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 03:15 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,475,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Life can be confusing when you get old, chuckle. I was thinking the Swope Mansion was on the corner of Pleasant and Walnut when it was actually further south at 406 S Pleasant, which is the address MRG was using. The confusion, I guess, was caused by some of the residents at the mansion using the street car that stopped on the corner of Walnut and Pleasant as mentioned in the book Deaths on Pleasant Street.

The Swope Mansion was built in 1890 and razed in 1960. At any rate, the Swope Mansion was only a tiny part of what was to become The Campus. The mansion was sold to the RLDS church organization in 1923.

I recall this particular RLDS church on the corner of Walnut and Pleasant and remember it as rather imposing and wonder if there was a replacement built somewhere else by the congregation.
Take a peek at the Jackson County Aerials. In the 1957 view on section DL-4T-192 the mansion is still visible, although tricky to pick out. In the 1963 view on section DL-4DD-003 it is gone.

Jackson County Aerial Photographs, 1957 :: Aerial Photograph Collection

Jackson County Aerial Photographs, 1963 :: Aerial Photograph Collection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 05:58 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Careful, you are confusing your groups. The pictured structure was for the LDS, aka Mormons. They own the land on the SW corner of Pleasant & Walnut and all the way west to River, then south to Pacific. Their chunk makes a large "L" around two sides of the RLDS, aka Community of Christ, property containing the old Swope Mansion site. The field we used during our old Chrisman days was owned by the LDS, and is now the site of their church that replaced the one in the photo.
They all look alike to me, chuckle.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 PM

2,373 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Take a peek at the Jackson County Aerials. In the 1957 view on section DL-4T-192 the mansion is still visible, although tricky to pick out. In the 1963 view on section DL-4DD-003 it is gone.

Jackson County Aerial Photographs, 1957 :: Aerial Photograph Collection

Jackson County Aerial Photographs, 1963 :: Aerial Photograph Collection

Too bad these photos didn't have higher resolutions, these are great to peer at. I did see The Natatorium, same slides as Mansion, 1957. And again, by 1963, Paradise was paved and put up a parking lot.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 AM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Too bad these photos didn't have higher resolutions, these are great to peer at. I did see The Natatorium, same slides as Mansion, 1957. And again, by 1963, Paradise was paved and put up a parking lot.

Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got til its gone?

Old 04-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got til its gone?

Ain't that the truth "Richie/Joni". :-)

Old 04-22-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Ain't that the truth "Richie/Joni". :-)

Well, I guess I jinxed him since he died today.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess I jinxed him since he died today.
I guess I'm out of the loop. Which Richie died?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I guess I'm out of the loop. Which Richie died?

Richie Havens, the opening act at Woodstock and featured in the movie. I thought he did Big Yellow Taxi on one of his albums (altho Joni Mitchell did the hit 45)

Old 04-23-2013, 10:49 AM

There have bee some unusual police vehicles over the years. In the early 70s a cost-cutting mentality caused the purchase of two-door Chevrolet Chevelles as patrol cars. They were also dual-fueled, running on both gasoline and propane. Most officers did not like them. Perhaps their unpopularity explains why I don't have a photo of them.

My favorite was a Volkswagen Van with manual transmission. It was used by the crime lab, nowadays called CSI. This vehicle was even in a car chase, SUCCESSFULLY catching its prey!

Old 04-23-2013, 05:37 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
There have bee some unusual police vehicles over the years. In the early 70s a cost-cutting mentality caused the purchase of two-door Chevrolet Chevelles as patrol cars. They were also dual-fueled, running on both gasoline and propane. Most officers did not like them. Perhaps their unpopularity explains why I don't have a photo of them.

My favorite was a Volkswagen Van with manual transmission. It was used by the crime lab, nowadays called CSI. This vehicle was even in a car chase, SUCCESSFULLY catching its prey!

Speaking of cops.

I have seen the Independence Police a couple times over the years on COPS. Usually, it was in connection with the KC Police Department or in one case with the Jackson County Sheriff.

I dont watch the program as much anymore, though.

Has anyone seen an episode in which any one sequence in the program was with the Independence police?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City