Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 08:03 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times

Advertisements

From the Independence Examiner of 100 years ago this week in April:

"A little warning: We would like to urge the men who are talking about annexing Independence to Kansas City to study the matter over carefully, find out if annexation is possible; how it must be done; how long it will take; what effect it will have on the county seat; and in short, Independence would not like to wake up some morning to find that irreparable damage had been done with no resulting advantage. Let’s have some sane, careful effective information on the subject before going further."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 PM

From the Independence Examiner of 50 years ago this week:

"The pre-Civil War colonial structure at 126 S. Pleasant St., which the First Christian Church has owned since 1961, will be razed to provide parking for the church. A letter from Howard Adams, chairman of the Jackson County Historical Sites Committee, said 'the loss of this house is only one more step towards making Independence another sterile, colorless metropolitan section.'”

Any of you fellows have a photo of 126 S. Pleasant St before it was a parking lot?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:13 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

"The pre-Civil War colonial structure at 126 S. Pleasant St., which the First Christian Church has owned since 1961, will be razed to provide parking for the church. A letter from Howard Adams, chairman of the Jackson County Historical Sites Committee, said 'the loss of this house is only one more step towards making Independence another sterile, colorless metropolitan section.'”

Any of you fellows have a photo of 126 S. Pleasant St before it was a parking lot?
I don't think I do, as that was a few years before I started taking photos. I don't think it is included in any of my collections either. However, if you squint just right it would be on the 1957 Jackson County Aerial photo!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:34 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:

I guess this is the church as presently constructed?

Postcard-First Christian Church..Independence,Missouri

EDIT: Actually the old church seems to look an awful like the present church. On its website there is a "church history" link from 1918 with a drawing of the proposed church building , a description and a list of some rather prominent Independence residents on the Building Committee

http://www.fccindepmo.org/storage/hi...churchplan.pdf

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 04-28-2013 at 09:01 AM..

Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 AM

Ok my bad, I think I've got this figured out. The church in question at 126 S. Pleasant was across from the columned church, being where Kansas dead ends, and now the present day parking lot. For years then that building sat there until demolished in 1963 per WCHS's account.

The 1957 Aerial shows a small building on back to the west so presumably that is the old church, the rest of the property obscured by trees. Presumably this was part of the parking lot so reserved back then. Later the church building was torn down to provide additional parking for the newer church across Pleasant.

1957 Slide DL-4T-150 (far left bottom corner)

Old 04-28-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I guess this is the church as presently constructed?

Postcard-First Christian Church..Independence,Missouri

EDIT: Actually the old church seems to look an awful like the present church. On its website there is a "church history" link from 1918 with a drawing of the proposed church building , a description and a list of some rather prominent Independence residents on the Building Committee

http://www.fccindepmo.org/storage/hi...churchplan.pdf

I vaguely recall the parking lot controversy and I think the parking lot in question is just across the street from the church between the old folks apartments and the Masonic place. Parking lot does not look very wide but it is rather deep.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I vaguely recall the parking lot controversy and I think the parking lot in question is just across the street from the church between the old folks apartments and the Masonic place. Parking lot does not look very wide but it is rather deep.
Looks like my mea culpa crossed in the mail with your response

Streetview does give a pretty good look at the parking lot, and yes, it is deep. From the Aerial view, the church is quite a bit smaller (no surprise there) than the main church across the street. Looks like we might be out of luck finding a pic of the former.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:10 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Looks like my mea culpa crossed in the mail with your response

Streetview does give a pretty good look at the parking lot, and yes, it is deep. From the Aerial view, the church is quite a bit smaller (no surprise there) than the main church across the street. Looks like we might be out of luck finding a pic of the former.
Go back and view the 1868 Bird's Eye View of Independence that we discussed many pages ago. On it there is a structure at that location. If we knew the name of the family that lived there I might be able to find more.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Go back and view the 1868 Bird's Eye View of Independence that we discussed many pages ago. On it there is a structure at that location. If we knew the name of the family that lived there I might be able to find more.

Streetview and 1957 Aerial look like the old church was actually behind the Lodge building, as the property bent around "L" shaped to the north.

Also noticed in 1957 @ DL-4T-150 that 24 Hiway SC was being constructed (sounds about right) and while panning east, the Truman Library looks brand spankin shiny new. Which Wikipedia tells me it was, only 4 weeks from dedication. The photo is June 10 while the TL dedication was July 6 1957. With the Ruskin Heights tornado in May and the Library opening in July, these photos ironically capture two of the most newsworthy events of that year I will bet.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:49 PM

Default Doutt's Lake 1957 & 1963

Was comparing the aerial photos and noticed several differences. DL was in business thru that time period as one can see the white wooden diving platform in the middle of the lake. However, in 1957 it pretty much looked like the plain Ol Swimming Hole, while by 1963 the "new and improved" version. Looks like more entry/exits (2 off Noland, still there judging by Streetview Google) and one connecting Liberty to the north. Also there looks to be a land bridge built to connect the main parcels (probably to house a picnic area). Google now shows that small portion of the lake (far NE part) to no longer exist. Probably was just filled in when the lake closed for business.

In fact, another look reveals the lake is alot smaller and lots of it was filled in apparently.

1957 DL-4T-152

1963 DL-2DD-062
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City