Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 09:52 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times

Advertisements

This is for MRG.

Some time back we were talking about Doutt's Lake and you commented on how Main Street looked like a narrow country lane heading toward the lake.

Follow Osage south from the square until you get to Pacific and then go east for a few feet where Osage continues south.

Follow that city street country lane!! It is only one car width.

I had noticed that portion of Osage before but had not paid that much attention and thought it was an alley. I took a photo but apparently pushed the wrong button as it is not on my chip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 AM

Either Mad or Doc have a photo(s) of the Santa Fe Trail swales that run south and west of the Bingham-Waggoner estate?

Old 06-06-2013, 12:15 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Either Mad or Doc have a photo(s) of the Santa Fe Trail swales that run south and west of the Bingham-Waggoner estate?

I do not, but I really should add some to my collection.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:17 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,717,205 times
Quote:
Spring Branch Elementary School, I presume.

Bryant Elementary?

It's the only grade school I know so that IS my Final Answer

Old 06-06-2013, 01:27 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,717,205 times
Quote:
This is for MRG.

Some time back we were talking about Doutt's Lake and you commented on how Main Street looked like a narrow country lane heading toward the lake.

Follow Osage south from the square until you get to Pacific and then go east for a few feet where Osage continues south.

Follow that city street country lane!! It is only one car width.

I had noticed that portion of Osage before but had not paid that much attention and thought it was an alley. I took a photo but apparently pushed the wrong button as it is not on my chip.

Damn, it sure is! That would have been fun place to ride our bikes along but not drive a car! I surmise the City kept it that way to retain the historic aspects along there as well as it being cost-prohibitive to widen.

There sure are alot of nooks and crannies in Old Independence. Contrast Osage with it at 51st street where is was and still is a modern paved surburban street.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I do not, but I really should add some to my collection.
The guide at Bingham-Waggoner said one had to use his or her imagination to see the the swales. The Santa Fe trail went right by the mansion. It was so close that the mansion residents could talk to the people in the wagons. Wonder why the owner did not complain to his Homeowners Association about all the traffic, chuckle.

But a visitor in the group from a state back east said he could easily make the swales out as he had taken a look before the tour began. I did not walk back into that area my self, but since have taken a look via Google Earth and cannot make out anything.

There is a separate free entrance to this area on west Linden Avenue just before Pleasant Street. Parking in that area is a little tricky, though. The manison grounds here have concrete pathways and interpretive signs at various places.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:16 PM

778 posts, read 1,010,210 times
Quote:
Spring Branch Elementary School, I presume.

Of course!

Old 06-06-2013, 05:22 PM

778 posts, read 1,010,210 times
Quote:

Me?! Naaa! Mad does, I'm sure.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:51 AM

The last part of the Little Blue Parkway is somewhat a disappointment. It will surely be changed if and when the Lewis and Clark Expressway continues north.

About 300-500 feet before arriving at Highway 24 the parkway narrows to two-lane with one lane of traffic both ways. The traffic lighted intersection at 24 is two lane

From what I recall, only the east bound 24 traffic stops at the stoplight. Maybe someone can check me on that.

With a green light to cross the eastbound lane of 24 and the median to get to westbound 24 there is no light that stops the westbound traffic but there is a dedicated westbound lane for Parkway traffic in which one turns west to follow that lane and then merges with the 24 traffic.

Right now, I can't say how west bound 24 gets to south bound Little Blue Parkway.

That last 300-500 feet of the Parkway is also mysteriously concrete, whereas the rest of the Parkway is blacktop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City