Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 11:34 PM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
Well I think I have it figured out! Link to album: 2013 Photos by independencesquare | Photobucket

First mystery photo, which is also contained in this album (I'm sure these will be easy to you guys!)

RLDS Auditorium
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
Well I think I have it figured out! Link to album: 2013 Photos by independencesquare | Photobucket

First mystery photo, which is also contained in this album (I'm sure these will be easy to you guys!)

Hmmmm Ok a wild guess . . .where I received my high school diploma?

Old 07-02-2013, 01:13 AM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times
Quote:

By the way, nice job, excellent pics and glad you figured out Photobucket! By the way, another way you can share a photo and put it on here, go to your photobucket account, click on the photo you want to share, and when it comes up, go to the right side of the screen where it says "Links to share this photo", go down to the last line that reads "img", double click on it and you'll see it say "copied" pop up briefly in yellow. Then go to this forum and right click where you want the photo displayed. The information will be put on there, and when you click on "Submit Reply", your photo shows up full size. If I'm telling you something you already know, or I seem like a know-it-all, I apologize. I hope you don't think I'm being critical of you or your work. It's good to have new blood around here!

Old 07-02-2013, 06:53 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Hmmmm Ok a wild guess . . .where I received my high school diploma?
I received my diploma there also. And that was not been too long after the building was finished.

In 1953, I was in that building for an all Independence sixth grade schools sing of some type and the floor was bare concrete. The building resembled a huge barn. The only seating was park benches. There was no huge organ. Some time between 1953 and 1958, the building was finished after it had been started around 1926. By my graduation there was a sea of carpet and permanent seating.

I have always wondered how often they have to replace that carpet.

My sister graduated two years later, and I have not been in that building since but do remember how so very nice the place was.

I seem to recall the latest WCHS and Truman graduations were in the Independence Events Center.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Those are some nice photos. Somehow those houses look better in your photographs than they do in person, chuckle.

The state of the Blue Valley Federal Savings building in the 300 block of west Lexington is really sad. That was a nice place to bank at one time.
I seem to recall they paid 4% on savings whereas the First National Bank (BOA) paid 3%. Would sure love to see 3% again, though.

Santa Fe Glass on east Lexington seems to have been there forever as has the taxidermy place.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Okay. Is that you in the photo?

The photo was taken when you were in grade school? Just curious.

How did you know the two schools were architectural copies? Just curious.

You probably did spend three years in the southwest basement, but what source says that the photo is Bryant School? Again, just curious.

Just a comment that the southwest corner of the basement at McCoy was the boy's restroom.
The photo was a few years before my time there, but is definitely Bryant. The designs are pretty much identical. In Bryant the boy's room would be in the SW corner, if'n you rotate the building to face east instead of north. By the time I got there a second building had been constructed to the east (left in the photo). We went there for lunch in the all-purpose room. After my time there they added on to the new building and removed the old completely.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:24 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I received my diploma there also. And that was not been too long after the building was finished.

In 1953, I was in that building for an all Independence sixth grade schools sing of some type and the floor was bare concrete. The building resembled a huge barn. The only seating was park benches. There was no huge organ. Some time between 1953 and 1958, the building was finished after it had been started around 1926. By my graduation there was a sea of carpet and permanent seating.

I have always wondered how often they have to replace that carpet.

My sister graduated two years later, and I have not been in that building since but do remember how so very nice the place was.

I seem to recall the latest WCHS and Truman graduations were in the Independence Events Center.

Back in our days it was the only place large enough and close enough to accommodate graduations. I presume the KC schools had theirs in Municipal Auditorium

Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Back in our days it was the only place large enough and close enough to accommodate graduations. I presume the KC schools had theirs in Municipal Auditorium
I am thinking that East and Van Horn graduated in the RLDS Auditorium also. Maybe, Northeast.

I dont recall about that other obscure place, what was it? Fort Bravo, or something. Maybe Doc knows.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:11 PM

From the Pearjas Collection:

I had trouble identifying that big building behind this house on west Lexington but as it turns out, it is the two different buildings of the Maple Street apartments.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:16 PM

From the Pearjas Collection: the good ole Plaza Theater or what use to be, chuckle.

Other than the Plaza I remember it as the home of DuVall's Womens Clothing, which I thought was an upscale shop.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City